Jump to topic:

Why was the Taliban mentioned more than Kabir

MasturDbtor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2013 3:14:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Why did we talk more about "the war with saddam" than "the war against the baathists" and then "the war against the taliban" rather than "the war with kabir"? I don't even think I heard "Kabir" once in the news media back at the start of the war. Then again I was only in middle school.

I wonder how many even knew the last Afghan Taliban dictator's name was "Abdul Kabir"?

What shapes this rhetoric? Kabir was rarely ever mentioned during the war in Afghanistan. It was always "the Taliban". And while "Baath Party" was mentioned a little bit more in relation to Iraq it wasn't as much as "Saddam".
MasturDbtor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2013 3:17:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/21/2013 3:14:57 PM, MasturDbtor wrote:
Why did we talk more about "the war with saddam" than "the war against the baathists" and then "the war against the taliban" rather than "the war with kabir"? I don't even think I heard "Kabir" once in the news media back at the start of the war. Then again I was only in middle school.

I wonder how many even knew the last Afghan Taliban dictator's name was "Abdul Kabir"?

What shapes this rhetoric? Kabir was rarely ever mentioned during the war in Afghanistan. It was always "the Taliban". And while "Baath Party" was mentioned a little bit more in relation to Iraq it wasn't as much as "Saddam".

OK so I just read that he was Prime Minister at the end but that the Taliban had another ruler who had even more power so he wasn't technically their dictator, just a higher-up. The dictator was Mohammed Omar, whose name I do remember hearing in the media during that time.