Tea Party Tribune Stance on Marijuana

slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2013 9:16:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.teapartytribune.com...

The facts reveal otherwise. 15 percent of shock-trauma patients who were injured in car accidents had marijuana in their blood, and another 17 percent had both marijuana and alcohol in their blood. 33% of fatally injured drivers who were tested for drug use had drugs in their system; 3,952 drivers total in 2009.

There is a strong correlation between marijuana use and crime. 60% of those arrested across the U.S. test positive for marijuana. This isn"t just crime related to drug use, there is a positive correlation between chronic marijuana use and increased risk of violent behavior.

Alcohol contains one substance only, ethanol, whereas marijuana contains more than 400 known chemicals. It has 50% to 70% more cancer-causing substances than tobacco

Another myth put out by marijuana proponents is that it is not addictive. One in six teenagers who tries it will become addicted. Even worse, marijuana is a gateway drug; 99.9% of cocaine users began by first using a substance like marijuana. When the high fades, drug users must increase their dosage or switch to something stronger in order to maintain the euphoria. Marijuana is frequently dipped in PHP, a powerful hallucinogen, which can cause severe physical reactions like seizures, coma and death.

Who does not have compassion for the terminally ill elderly person slowly dying a painful death, whose pain could be greatly eased by marijuana? The problem is medical legalization is not only benefiting those in medical need of it; in states where marijuana has been legalized for medicinal use, 94% of those using it do not suffer from a debilitating illness, but are simply regular users. This is a result of more dishonesty by legalization proponents.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2013 9:19:32 PM

The Tea Party Tribune is an online Tea Party and conservative news resource site.
This site is owned and operated by 100% conservative patriots who are of the mind that God, Family, Country and Liberty are to be revered above all else!

With the exception of liberty to smoke marijuana. We would not want you to get a dose of PCP, which will make you run from the police and die.
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2013 9:20:53 PM
We need to stop this marijuana revolt. We need more harsh penalties in place to create deterrence. If they win it will be like when Hitler took over Germany (he was on a lot of drugs). We don't need spawns of the worst leader in history running this nation.

His economic policies = bad
His foreign policies = bad
His other domestic policies = bad
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2013 10:07:14 PM
At 10/22/2013 9:20:53 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
We need to stop this marijuana revolt. We need more harsh penalties in place to create deterrence. If they win it will be like when Hitler took over Germany (he was on a lot of drugs). We don't need spawns of the worst leader in history running this nation.

Do I even have to point out the problems in a post with so many? I'll just point out the biggest one: everything in it is a huge non-sequitur.

First, the news post. One of the most common arguments against gun control is that making guns illegal would mean only criminals would have guns. The same logic extends to marijuana - making it illegal means only criminals use it. This means the only people using it are already willing to break the law - this explains the statistics.

Now, back to 1Historygenius's post:
First, you're going to have to show a more clear connection between marijuana and harm to the public - one that isn't refuted by my explanation.
Second, do you honestly think more deterrent will really work? I don't even think it's necessary for me to address this, since there is no reason for banning marijuana currently stated in this thread that hasn't been refuted.
Third, have you ever heard of Godwin's law? I think it's time to concede before you embarrass yourself any further.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 6:25:54 AM
At 10/22/2013 9:19:32 PM, slo1 wrote:

The Tea Party Tribune is an online Tea Party and conservative news resource site.
This site is owned and operated by 100% conservative patriots who are of the mind that God, Family, Country and Liberty are to be revered above all else!

With the exception of liberty to smoke marijuana. We would not want you to get a dose of PCP, which will make you run from the police and die.

Ops, i got that wrong. marijuana is often dipped in PHP. That will make you even crazier! Server side languages and marijuana will kill you!
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 9:24:00 AM
You know, I don't suppose anyone within the Tea Party considered that correlation =/= causation, right? I saw one part of the scrawl there saying 60% of those arrested tested positive for marijuana use (I highly question that statistic given what I saw in what I believe is its original source, but that's another discussion) - well, does no one consider that those involved in crimes are simply in situations where marijuana is more accessible, and not the cause of the crimes?

No? I didn't think so, that would be expecting too much I suspect.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 10:13:19 PM

I don't support legalizing marijuana, but really... no... just no.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 10:18:55 PM
At 10/23/2013 9:24:00 AM, Volkov wrote:
You know, I don't suppose anyone within the Tea Party considered that correlation =/= causation, right? I saw one part of the scrawl there saying 60% of those arrested tested positive for marijuana use (I highly question that statistic given what I saw in what I believe is its original source, but that's another discussion) - well, does no one consider that those involved in crimes are simply in situations where marijuana is more accessible, and not the cause of the crimes?

No? I didn't think so, that would be expecting too much I suspect.

What? While robbing a convenience store, marijuana happened to pop in front of the guy on its own?

I would theorize that based on how marijuana effects one's motivation, and that the private sector is against it (the law does not require random testing, nor require that employers fire employees that use it, though they often choose to), that those that use it are less likely to get ahead (being that they will be less motivated, on average, and if caught, have less opportunity). This will put them at an economic disadvantage which will increase the chances that they have to resort to petty crime to make ends meet.

Or, in younger groups, it is merely a part of their revolt against authority (that most youngsters go through) that will alter their perceptions and make them more likely to revolt against authority in a more extreme way (alcohol in youth does the same), such as vandalism.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 10:25:08 PM
At 10/22/2013 9:16:55 PM, slo1 wrote:
There is a strong correlation between marijuana use and crime. 60% of those arrested across the U.S. test positive for marijuana. This isn"t just crime related to drug use, there is a positive correlation between chronic marijuana use and increased risk of violent behavior.

You know that number should ring bells for any rational human being. So, I took a look.

Why does the author of this factoid think such a correlation exists?

"In the case of violent crime, we find a statistically significant association with arrests but not reported crimes, suggesting that marijuana use may just influence THE LIKELIHOOD OF GETTING CAUGHT COMMITTING THESE CRIMES."
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 10:27:57 PM
This article was written by one person, not the entire Tea Party. Who is Rachel Alexander? She's not the leader of the Tea Party.

Rand Paul is an actual Tea Party leader and he wants to end the Drug War, eliminate mandatory minimums, and decriminalize marijuana. Though, off the record he probably wants to legalize drugs like his father.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 10:28:32 PM

You are insane.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 1:11:48 AM
At 10/23/2013 10:27:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
This article was written by one person, not the entire Tea Party. Who is Rachel Alexander? She's not the leader of the Tea Party.

Rand Paul is an actual Tea Party leader and he wants to end the Drug War, eliminate mandatory minimums, and decriminalize marijuana. Though, off the record he probably wants to legalize drugs like his father.

He still does maintain in public that marijuana is "a bad thing to do". He is strong enough in this position to persuade some clueless pastors that he doesn't want to legalize marijuana.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 4:44:39 PM
60% of people arrested test positive for Marijuana? Ha I'd love to see the source behind that claim.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 10:21:56 PM
At 10/24/2013 4:44:39 PM, lewis20 wrote:
60% of people arrested test positive for Marijuana? Ha I'd love to see the source behind that claim.

Of course, we arrest a lot of people for possessing marijuana...
ironmaiden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 10:57:44 PM
I think it should be legalized.

I realize that if we legalize it, many people will be running around stoned. People could smoke away and not worry about consequences. And driving while being stoned isn't a good thing.

The thing is, the laws aren't really stopping anybody from smoking marijuana. Unfortunately, I know many people who smoke pot (I'm not friends with them). In fact, sometimes I stop for a second and have to ask myself "Who doesn't smoke pot?" I do not do any drug, and I never will. But if I wanted to, I could easily find someone who sells it. It's not really that difficult. Slo1, you said that there's a strong correlation between pot smoking and crime? Well, the laws haven't stopped it, have they?

Despite the fact that meth is illegal, there are a lot of meth addicts running around. My grandpa's best friend's parents were both killed in a car accident. What happened? A meth accident was running from the cops at 80 mph, and T-boned the parents at an intersection, killing them both in a very horrific accident. My grandparents' neighbors awhile back had a meth lab in a bedroom. It's very simple: laws won't stop drug addicts.

Why should the government spend millions of dollars fighting a war it cannot win? It should know that no matter how tough the laws are, there will always be drug addicts. They are simply blowing millions of dollars (our tax dollars) that could be spent on education, and nothing's really getting done.

Now, once again, am I in favor of people running around stoned? Hell no. I'm connected to people that have died because of those type of people. Am I ever going to do drugs? Hell no. I just avoid them at all costs, and so far I haven't even been offered drugs. But should it be my freedom to do drugs? Hell yeah. It's my body, let me do to it what I please. (Not to be confused with abortion, which involves other bodies). You could also argue that I might get stoned and decide to drive around impaired. However, marijuana does not have the same effects on you as excessive alcohol. Driving drunk is different than driving stoned.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
ironmaiden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 11:09:28 PM
At 10/24/2013 10:57:44 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
You could also argue that I might get stoned and decide to drive around impaired. However, marijuana does not have the same effects on you as excessive alcohol. Driving drunk is different than driving stoned.

In case you don't believe me:

http://www.slate.com...

http://kdvr.com...
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"