Jump to topic:

Invade Canada, anyone?

themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 10:04:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have asked many of my friends this question, and aside from some minor foreign relation issues, would there be any negative consequences to the U.S. invading, and taking over Canada? If we didn't dissolve any businesses/business practices, so long as they didn't conflict with U.S. law, what bad would come of it?
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 10:51:10 AM
At 10/26/2013 10:04:30 AM, themohawkninja wrote:
I have asked many of my friends this question, and aside from some minor foreign relation issues, would there be any negative consequences to the U.S. invading, and taking over Canada? If we didn't dissolve any businesses/business practices, so long as they didn't conflict with U.S. law, what bad would come of it?

The world would probably hate them more than they already do, considering the world loves us (we are the second most popular country in the world next to Germany), and doesn't like the US all that much [http://www.cbc.ca...]

If anybody attacked Canada, somebody is going to get it. We are too liked globally. Even American travelers need to dress like Canadians so they don't get messed up in Europe.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 11:25:16 AM
The whole people dying thing brings a hamper. Also the huge amount of resources it would take the US to take over Canada.

I mean, is this even a serious question or are you that retarded?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 11:36:29 AM
At 10/26/2013 11:25:16 AM, darkkermit wrote:
The whole people dying thing brings a hamper. Also the huge amount of resources it would take the US to take over Canada.

It would never happen. If anything the US would have our backs if we got invaded by anyone else.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 11:36:29 AM

It would never happen. If anything the US would have our backs if we got invaded by anyone else.
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 11:49:18 AM
I'm going to reply to this silly question with a silly answer.

No, Canadian bacon is yum.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 12:32:26 PM
The effects of international sanctions would devastate our already fragile economy. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe that most of the world would not do nothing and allow it to happen. While they may not act militarily (though there is a good chance they might), it would be foolish to think that no economic actions would be taken.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 4:31:55 PM

That's just it though... how hard would it be to take over?

Cut the insults, it's a legitimate question that I have after failing to find any reason after discussing it with my friends. We looked at Canada, and went: Small military, main biome is a snowy forest, and we wouldn't have to deal with them jumping the border to exploit the U.S.'s lack of taxes (I live in Erie, PA, and Canadians invade the city every year to shop).

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 4:34:37 PM
At 10/26/2013 12:32:26 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
The effects of international sanctions would devastate our already fragile economy. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe that most of the world would not do nothing and allow it to happen. While they may not act militarily (though there is a good chance they might), it would be foolish to think that no economic actions would be taken.

I would agree, but normally, you want to save a country from invasion, because you have trade routes with the country, and the invaders might cut the trade routes, or heighten tariffs. That wouldn't happen if the U.S. invaded. So, what reason would everyone have to get so pissed off?

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 4:39:45 PM
At 10/26/2013 4:34:37 PM, themohawkninja wrote:
At 10/26/2013 12:32:26 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I would agree, but normally, you want to save a country from invasion, because you have trade routes with the country, and the invaders might cut the trade routes, or heighten tariffs. That wouldn't happen if the U.S. invaded. So, what reason would everyone have to get so pissed off?

You don't know that that wouldn't happen. The US most see some reason to militarily engage, and no one ever starts a war to do nothing and make no changes.
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 4:49:36 PM
At 10/26/2013 4:39:45 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

You don't know that that wouldn't happen. The US most see some reason to militarily engage, and no one ever starts a war to do nothing and make no changes.

I don't know for sure, no, but I don't see reason why they would. The reason to start would merely be to take it over. The international equivalent of taking candy from a baby. Their total military force is about 110,000 troops, about 270 planes, and less than 50 ships.

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 5:01:48 PM
At 10/26/2013 4:31:55 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

Cut the insults, it's a legitimate question that I have after failing to find any reason after discussing it with my friends.

Sure you do.

We looked at Canada, and went: Small military,

Small, yes, but it is an industrialized nation's professional army, and thus more of a threat than scared Iraqis and low-tech Afghani warlords.

main biome is a snowy forest,

I do not live in a snowy forest.

and we wouldn't have to deal with them jumping the border to exploit the U.S.'s lack of taxes (I live in Erie, PA, and Canadians invade the city every year to shop).

Why would you not want this to continue? It probably drives a good portion of your local economy, especially among border towns.

Now, clearly you're just trolling people, but it is a curious idea nonetheless. Could the US invade Canada and get away with it?

Yes, yes it could. As much as I'd love to tout our friendliness on the world stage, we only have that status because we're a friendlier and sometimes saner version of the US in many ways. But we rely on the US being able to extend its power over the globe for us to really do anything. If that weren't the case, our next best status is as a nation of great mineral wealth (especially oil and gas extraction) - but much of that already goes to the US anyways, so it is hard to see the difference.

The only people who might conceivably get truly miffed about Canada being invaded (aside from many - but not all - Canadians themselves) would be the UK, since an invasion of Canada is an invasion of a Crown country; Russia, since it allows the US to have greater territorial claims on the Arctic; and some of our trading partners, though not many,

Now, here's the real question: why would you want to invade Canada?

We already give you most of our trade, and most of our major policy decisions match up with yours generally. There is a reason why we're called "Little America" sometimes. What would the reason be - just for giggles?

Then there is the logistics of any invasion. You could probably take Canada away from its professional military easily enough. At the same time, you're invading a nation with the population of California, but with 60 times the land area. That is no small task, and something the US military has never had to face before.

Placating much of the population, assuming you don't become sadists in the mean time, would not be too hard either, especially among English Canadians. However, I doubt you'd receive a warm welcome among Quebecois (about 5-6 million) or First Nations (about 700,000). Even among English-speaking populations, you'd receive backlash. So there's that.

When you come right down to it, it'd be an expensive invasion that would only end up putting you marginally more in control of Canadian resources and trade compared to what you already have. It wouldn't be wise.

Plus if you ask Geo, the NAU is already coming so don't worry, we'll be together soon enough.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 5:14:54 PM
At 10/26/2013 4:49:36 PM, themohawkninja wrote:
At 10/26/2013 4:39:45 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I don't know for sure, no, but I don't see reason why they would. The reason to start would merely be to take it over. The international equivalent of taking candy from a baby. Their total military force is about 110,000 troops, about 270 planes, and less than 50 ships.

That's not a good reason to take it over. The unjustified assault on another nation's sovereignty, even if we didn't plan on harming trade routes, would still lead to economic sanctions at the very least. If you're willing to go to war "just to take it over" (which is the equivalent of "just because") then other nations will have a legitimate fear that you might try the same against them.

Also, the people within the US would not be happy with more tax dollars and more loss of life to take over another country for no real reason.
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 5:15:38 PM
At 10/26/2013 5:01:48 PM, Volkov wrote:

Cut the insults, it's a legitimate question that I have after failing to find any reason after discussing it with my friends.

Sure you do.

What do you mean by that?

We looked at Canada, and went: Small military,

Small, yes, but it is an industrialized nation's professional army, and thus more of a threat than scared Iraqis and low-tech Afghani warlords.

True, but there is power in numbers.

main biome is a snowy forest,

I do not live in a snowy forest.

I said main, not the whole country.

and we wouldn't have to deal with them jumping the border to exploit the U.S.'s lack of taxes (I live in Erie, PA, and Canadians invade the city every year to shop).

Why would you not want this to continue? It probably drives a good portion of your local economy, especially among border towns.

Good point, I don't know exactly how much it affects the economy, but nobody ever talk about it, so I don't think it's much (I figure that if it was significant, the mayoral elections would be at least somewhat focused on it).

Now, clearly you're just trolling people, but it is a curious idea nonetheless. Could the US invade Canada and get away with it?

I am not trolling, seriously, why do you people think this is a joke? I really want to know why it would be a really terrible idea to invade?

Now, here's the real question: why would you want to invade Canada?

To be honest, the discussion started from the idea that the only reason why the U.S. hasn't just swooped in and taken over, is because we don't have a reason to. Canada is just... there. It's like Australia, whereby you don't hear much from them... ever. They are just... there.

Then there is the logistics of any invasion. You could probably take Canada away from its professional military easily enough. At the same time, you're invading a nation with the population of California, but with 60 times the land area. That is no small task, and something the US military has never had to face before.

True, logistically speaking, invading Canada seems like the super-easy version of invading Russia. As long as you get it done before winter, it's possible.

Placating much of the population, assuming you don't become sadists in the mean time, would not be too hard either, especially among English Canadians. However, I doubt you'd receive a warm welcome among Quebecois (about 5-6 million) or First Nations (about 700,000). Even among English-speaking populations, you'd receive backlash. So there's that.

Yeah... Quebec... if there is one thing I have learned, it's that French, even French-Canadians, absolutely hate Americans.

Plus if you ask Geo, the NAU is already coming so don't worry, we'll be together soon enough.

NAU?

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 5:40:30 PM
At 10/26/2013 5:15:38 PM, themohawkninja wrote:
True, but there is power in numbers.

Yes, but out of curiosity, how many American soldiers, not to mention the general population, do you think will sign on board for an invasion of Canada?

I said main, not the whole country.

I don't even think its the main. The country is heavily forested, but much of it is also prairie, mountains, tundra, and deciduous forest.

Good point, I don't know exactly how much it affects the economy, but nobody ever talk about it, so I don't think it's much (I figure that if it was significant, the mayoral elections would be at least somewhat focused on it).

Maybe not Erie, but other border towns/cities benefit greatly from cross-border shoppers.

I am not trolling, seriously, why do you people think this is a joke? I really want to know why it would be a really terrible idea to invade?

Mhm.

To be honest, the discussion started from the idea that the only reason why the U.S. hasn't just swooped in and taken over, is because we don't have a reason to. Canada is just... there. It's like Australia, whereby you don't hear much from them... ever. They are just... there.

We aren't just "here," we do things, you just never see or hear them because you're Americans and don't care about much beyond your own borders.

Yeah... Quebec... if there is one thing I have learned, it's that French, even French-Canadians, absolutely hate Americans.

Many of them hate English Canadians as a rule too.

NAU?

North American Union, look it up. Its hilarious.
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 5:53:02 PM
At 10/26/2013 5:40:30 PM, Volkov wrote:

Yes, but out of curiosity, how many American soldiers, not to mention the general population, do you think will sign on board for an invasion of Canada?

Yeah, true...

I don't even think its the main. The country is heavily forested, but much of it is also prairie, mountains, tundra, and deciduous forest.

I didn't know that Canada had mountain ranges.

We aren't just "here," we do things, you just never see or hear them because you're Americans and don't care about much beyond your own borders.

OI! We do care what happens beyond our borders! We follow foreign relations, but most of that is related to Mexican drug wars, and whatever is going on in Europe, because that is where the major drug violence (you got to love our "war" on drugs...), and major economic powers are. The last time I heard about anything happening in Canada, was the giant maple syrup heist, in which your national maple syrup reserves were raided. The mere knowledge that Canada has maple syrup reserves did give us a bit of a laugh. I mean, I understand that you can't grow sugar maples everywhere, but the thought of giant government controlled reserves of maple syrup just seems... silly.

Many of them hate English Canadians as a rule too.

Wow... what made them so pissy?

North American Union, look it up. Its hilarious.

Okay... now THAT is stupid. The European Union is already known to be prone to major economic problems, because all of those large economies are under one currency, and combining the U.S., Mexico, and Canada into one nation, would mean that the world is even more prone to economic turmoil. Plus, it would make all that money going into border patrol quite mute.

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 5:55:34 PM
At 10/26/2013 5:53:02 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

You are a troll.

OI! We do care what happens beyond our borders! We follow foreign relations, but most of that is related to Mexican drug wars, and whatever is going on in Europe, because that is where the major drug violence (you got to love our "war" on drugs...), and major economic powers are. The last time I heard about anything happening in Canada, was the giant maple syrup heist, in which your national maple syrup reserves were raided. The mere knowledge that Canada has maple syrup reserves did give us a bit of a laugh. I mean, I understand that you can't grow sugar maples everywhere, but the thought of giant government controlled reserves of maple syrup just seems... silly.

We take our maple syrup seriously. Also our bacon.

Wow... what made them so pissy?

Long story.

Okay... now THAT is stupid. The European Union is already known to be prone to major economic problems, because all of those large economies are under one currency, and combining the U.S., Mexico, and Canada into one nation, would mean that the world is even more prone to economic turmoil. Plus, it would make all that money going into border patrol quite mute.

I don't know, the Amero is a pretty cool name for a currency.
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 6:01:03 PM
At 10/26/2013 5:55:34 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 10/26/2013 5:53:02 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

You are a troll.

*sigh*. You have to understand that the most we are taught in school about your country, is that you are north of us, and you kicked our a$$ in the war of 1812.

We take our maple syrup seriously. Also our bacon.

So I have noticed. Now by bacon, do you mean thin strips of pork, or what Americans know as "Canadian bacon"?

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 6:16:30 PM
At 10/26/2013 6:01:03 PM, themohawkninja wrote:
*sigh*. You have to understand that the most we are taught in school about your country, is that you are north of us, and you kicked our a$$ in the war of 1812.

Ha, yeah, those were the good ol' days.

So I have noticed. Now by bacon, do you mean thin strips of pork, or what Americans know as "Canadian bacon"?

Either/or.
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 6:25:08 PM
At 10/26/2013 6:16:30 PM, Volkov wrote:

The stupidest part about that whole thing (from what I was taught), is that it was fueled by that B.S. we called manifest destiny, and we did it half-assed, thinking that it would be as easy as it probably would be if we did it today (militarily speaking).

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 7:51:05 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and not even consider invading Canada a possibility that would ever happen under any circumstance.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 8:01:30 PM

This is a summer question, you don't invade Canada in the winter.

And even in the summer, why bother, they don't have anything anyone wants.

Canada isn't a real country, it's more like a sprawling suburb of Detroit, invading it would just be pointless.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
ararmer1919
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 8:11:52 PM
As an actual member of the US military that has personally trained and fought along side the Canadian military I can say with certainty that myself and a large number of my fellow service members would flat out REFUSE to march against our northern brethren without a damn good reason. Shout out to all my bros over at the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry and the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery!
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2013 11:37:29 AM

Im not even going to ask if you are an idiot and assume you are just for the sake of the conversation

Reasons why we shouldnt invade Canade

1) Its a big a** country that would require quite a number of troops to actually take

2) We dont have any sizeble military numbers stationed along the US-Canada border. We couldnt simply wing it with what we have, we would have to actually move troops to the border and THEN invade, and that alone would exacerbate the cost of the war

3) IT WOULD PISS OFF THE WORLD. For f*cks sake if the world hated the US for invading Iraq, a country that started multiple wars on its own and was a threat to stability to the Middle East, then how in the hell do you think they would take it if the US invaded Canada?

4) Canada doesnt have that many resources or benefits to take over. Population wise and economy wise Canada isnt that exceptional.

5) Just because we can invade them and win it doesnt mean it should. We could also invade the Bahamas or Cuba and win pretty easily, but that doesnt mean we should because thats not nearly a good enough reason for invading some place

6) In case you havent noticed, The US kind of has a massive budget deficit and a national debt problem that numbers in the tens of trillions, AND ANOTHER WAR ISNT GOING TO HELP THAT

Should I go on or are you not even worth it?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2013 11:41:42 AM
At 10/26/2013 8:11:52 PM, ararmer1919 wrote:
As an actual member of the US military that has personally trained and fought along side the Canadian military I can say with certainty that myself and a large number of my fellow service members would flat out REFUSE to march against our northern brethren without a damn good reason. Shout out to all my bros over at the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry and the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery!

And I'm not military, but if the USA goes to war with Canada I've siding with the Canadians.

As far as I'm concerned I still owe them for ten seasons of Stargate SG-1.
ironmaiden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2013 12:31:09 PM

Cut the insults, it's a legitimate question that I have after failing to find any reason after discussing it with my friends. We looked at Canada, and went: Small military, main biome is a snowy forest, and we wouldn't have to deal with them jumping the border to exploit the U.S.'s lack of taxes (I live in Erie, PA, and Canadians invade the city every year to shop).

Why would we invade Canada? There is no reason to. Besides, isn't Canada an ally of ours?

Also, Southern California is being invaded by illegal immigrants from Mexico, but no one's saying, "Let's invade Mexico," even though Mexico wouldn't stand a chance against us.

Despite my love for my country, if we were to attack Canada, I would personally move to Canada and aid its citizens in repelling invaders.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2013 1:36:53 PM
At 10/27/2013 11:37:29 AM, imabench wrote:

Im not even going to ask if you are an idiot and assume you are just for the sake of the conversation

Reasons why we shouldnt invade Canade

1) Its a big a** country that would require quite a number of troops to actually take

2) We dont have any sizeble military numbers stationed along the US-Canada border. We couldnt simply wing it with what we have, we would have to actually move troops to the border and THEN invade, and that alone would exacerbate the cost of the war

3) IT WOULD PISS OFF THE WORLD. For f*cks sake if the world hated the US for invading Iraq, a country that started multiple wars on its own and was a threat to stability to the Middle East, then how in the hell do you think they would take it if the US invaded Canada?

4) Canada doesnt have that many resources or benefits to take over. Population wise and economy wise Canada isnt that exceptional.

Accept our oil in Alberta, which is where the States gets most of their oil nowadays.

5) Just because we can invade them and win it doesnt mean it should. We could also invade the Bahamas or Cuba and win pretty easily, but that doesnt mean we should because thats not nearly a good enough reason for invading some place

6) In case you havent noticed, The US kind of has a massive budget deficit and a national debt problem that numbers in the tens of trillions, AND ANOTHER WAR ISNT GOING TO HELP THAT

Should I go on or are you not even worth it?
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 1:21:16 AM
Invasions cost money.

Consider the logistics behind supporting 100k soldiers with food, equipment, artillery and air support, hell the administrative costs alone make it not a worthwhile venture.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 2:31:45 AM
At 10/26/2013 10:51:10 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

The world would probably hate them more than they already do, considering the world loves us (we are the second most popular country in the world next to Germany), and doesn't like the US all that much [http://www.cbc.ca...]

If anybody attacked Canada, somebody is going to get it. We are too liked globally. Even American travelers need to dress like Canadians so they don't get messed up in Europe.

? I don't dress up like a Canadian when I go to Europe, never had any problem. What does that even mean to dress up like Canadians, do Canadians dress differently from Americans?
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...