Top five Political Moments of 2009

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 7:36:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Aye, I'm bored. So!..

What would you say are the top five political moments of this year? This could be ranging from domestic, to international, Hell, even local if you want, though I'd ask for links in that case. But, it should be something that takes into account what you perceive to be major shifts or events in the political sphere, like maybe the election of someone particular, or the loss of someone that had a big impact, the passing of major legislation, or just something that had made you look twice. (Doesn't have to be 5, by the way.)

Anyways! Here's my list:

1. Conclusion of the 2008/2009 Canadian Parliamentary Crisis, with Michael Ignatieff taking control of the Liberal Party and averting the coalition: http://en.wikipedia.org...

2. Passing of HR 3200, or essentially the healthcare bill, by the Obama administration despite the huge political wrangling that took place, as well as the obstructionist measures of the GOP: http://en.wikipedia.org...

3. The 2009 European Parliament elections within the United Kingdom, which saw the Labour Party fall into third place behind the Conservatives and UKIP, as well as the rise of the British National Party to two seats, telling of an apathetic political culture in the world's oldest democracy: http://en.wikipedia.org...

4. The mass protests against the Iranian government of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad due to perceived electoral fraud, which has shown the world that not only are Iranians politically aware, but p*ssed off at the same time: http://en.wikipedia.org...

5. Sarah Palin's insane year, when she prematurely ended her term in office, created a "death panel" scare, wrote a book, and continues to make her name a household one, even after her 15 minutes during the election.

So, yeah! What are your top five (politically related) moments of this year?
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 7:43:49 PM
"Stimulus Package", UHC comes to the US.

Hmm.

Obama becomes US president.

Oh, and I became an anarchist.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 8:10:39 PM
1. Henry Kissinger calls for a New World Order, and writes an essay about it.

2. Gordon Brown calls for a New World Order at G20 Summit.

3. Medvedev calls for a global currency.

4. Obama is initiated 33rd degree Prince Hall Freemason.

5. Everything else.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 8:19:19 PM
At 12/29/2009 8:16:34 PM, Volkov wrote:
Uh, Geo, could you link us to that stuff, please?
Ditto, but I want links for
specifically. The first two sound believable enough to me. Also,
1) Who's Medvedev again?
2) What's a Prince Hall Freemason?
3) What's a 33rd degree Prince Hall Freemason?
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 8:22:51 PM
At 12/29/2009 8:19:19 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
1) Who's Medvedev again?

Medvedev is the President of Russia, who's locked into an internal power struggle with Putin. He's more of a "progressive" President, while Putin is "conservative," though I use these terms with the least strict definitions possible. I specifically know the instance Geo is talking about, with the 'global currency', because its true, but even Geo knows that was more of a power-play-with-words than any viable threat.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 8:27:19 PM
At 12/29/2009 8:22:51 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/29/2009 8:19:19 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
1) Who's Medvedev again?

Medvedev is the President of Russia, who's locked into an internal power struggle with Putin. He's more of a "progressive" President, while Putin is "conservative," though I use these terms with the least strict definitions possible. I specifically know the instance Geo is talking about, with the 'global currency', because its true, but even Geo knows that was more of a power-play-with-words than any viable threat.

Oh. I remember him as the puppet guy, because everyone I knew that talked politics when he got into office said that he was just a puppet of Putin's.

johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 8:29:50 PM
1. Iran Protests/killings
2. Global Economy in the shitter
3. Obama becomes president
4. Pirate Bay falls in battle
5. Sarah Palin Fiasco
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 8:31:44 PM
At 12/29/2009 8:27:19 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
Oh. I remember him as the puppet guy, because everyone I knew that talked politics when he got into office said that he was just a puppet of Putin's.

Surprisingly, he isn't that much of a "puppet." Medvedev clashes with Putin quite a lot, same with their factions of "progressives" and "conservatives." They think it'll lead to a showdown in the 2012 elections, at least publicly.

In all honesty, Medvedev is probably the best hope Russia has of being more democratized. He's a fairly liberal fellow, for a pseudo-autocrat.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 8:35:08 PM
At 12/29/2009 8:31:44 PM, Volkov wrote:
best hope Russia has of being more democratized. He's a fairly liberal fellow, for a pseudo-autocrat.

LOL you can keep on hoping. Russia is and will always be a country that endears an element of facism. They love being taken care of. People can put on a good show, but really it is Putin who holds the reigns. People said the same thing about Iran, now look what happened there.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 8:42:03 PM
At 12/29/2009 8:35:08 PM, johngriswald wrote:
LOL you can keep on hoping. Russia is and will always be a country that endears an element of facism. They love being taken care of. People can put on a good show, but really it is Putin who holds the reigns. People said the same thing about Iran, now look what happened there.

I don't think anyone thought Iran wasn't controlled by anyone but the Ayatollah and the religious establishment. It's quite literally an authoritarian theocracy. However, you have of course noticed that the religious rulers are fractured themselves, and that has lead to a lot of commotion at the top, which is bad.

Now, shift to Russia, and you have a similar thing going on. The bureaucracy is split between the "progressives" and the "conservatives." Neither side wants to make the state into a libertarian dreamland, obviously, but they do have heavy ideological differences. It fractures them, and while Putin and his faction might have most of the power he doesn't have all. Medvedev and his faction have a lot of power as well.

This is what always happens to authoritarian states. The elites fracture, especially when the "bridge" between them both fails. It happened in the Soviet Union, it happened in Franco's Spain, its happening in Iran, Russia and Zimbabwe, and it'll probably happen in North Korea, whenever Kim dies.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 8:46:31 PM
At 12/29/2009 8:42:03 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/29/2009 8:35:08 PM, johngriswald wrote:

I don't think anyone thought Iran wasn't controlled by anyone but the Ayatollah and the religious establishment. It's quite literally an authoritarian theocracy. However, you have of course noticed that the religious rulers are fractured themselves, and that has lead to a lot of commotion at the top, which is bad.

Now, shift to Russia, and you have a similar thing going on. The bureaucracy is split between the "progressives" and the "conservatives." Neither side wants to make the state into a libertarian dreamland, obviously, but they do have heavy ideological differences. It fractures them, and while Putin and his faction might have most of the power he doesn't have all. Medvedev and his faction have a lot of power as well.

This is what always happens to authoritarian states. The elites fracture, especially when the "bridge" between them both fails. It happened in the Soviet Union, it happened in Franco's Spain, its happening in Iran, Russia and Zimbabwe, and it'll probably happen in North Korea, whenever Kim dies.

Oh I completely agree, I'm just stating that It'll never become a democracy. Also Putin won't lose any elections until he's ready to lose the elections if you get my point.

ddofans.com
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 8:50:22 PM
At 12/29/2009 8:46:31 PM, johngriswald wrote:
Oh I completely agree, I'm just stating that It'll never become a democracy. Also Putin won't lose any elections until he's ready to lose the elections if you get my point.

Yeah, Russia and democracy don't go together. But, Medvedev is the best chance for it become more democratized, just not necessarily a democracy.

And I don't know; the thing about Russian politics is that vote fraud would be pointless. People actually love Putin, and there is hardly any reason to screw the results to favour him. There have, of course, been discrepancies with legislative votes, but that is a little different. I'd actually think that vote fraud would be unacceptable to most Russians. So, Putin might be more vulnerable than you think.

Well, granted if people start hating him. xD
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2009 10:53:47 PM
At 12/29/2009 8:10:39 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
1. Henry Kissinger calls for a New World Order, and writes an essay about it.

Henry Kissinger's Essay:

http://www.nytimes.com...

2. Gordon Brown calls for a New World Order at G20 Summit.

http://www.globalresearch.ca...

I know Illuminati Grand Master, Leo Zagami mentioned this in a video, can't find an article. However, on his website, there is a mention of at least being a 32nd degree in 2008.

http://my.barackobama.com...

5. Everything else.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 8:49:59 AM
At 12/29/2009 8:50:22 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/29/2009 8:46:31 PM, johngriswald wrote:

Yeah, Russia and democracy don't go together. But, Medvedev is the best chance for it become more democratized, just not necessarily a democracy.

And I don't know; the thing about Russian politics is that vote fraud would be pointless. People actually love Putin, and there is hardly any reason to screw the results to favour him. There have, of course, been discrepancies with legislative votes, but that is a little different. I'd actually think that vote fraud would be unacceptable to most Russians. So, Putin might be more vulnerable than you think.

Well, granted if people start hating him. xD

Russians simply accept that their votes don't count and that the election is fraud.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 9:10:34 AM
Y'all need to wake up. Geo had already made a thread about everything he listed.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 10:56:13 AM
At 12/30/2009 8:49:59 AM, mongoose wrote:
Russians simply accept that their votes don't count and that the election is fraud.

That's false. The vote in Russia surrounding the Presidential election is usually considered pretty legit. The legislative and local elections, however, are different; parties are purposefully locked out, supporters can't get in voting booths, and candidates are intimidated to drop out.

But, still, its the most legit illegitimate election ever. People actually do love Putin, and why not? The man brought order to a chaotic regime left by Yeltsin, erased deficits and debt and raised the standard of living in Russia, all in exchange for a few less freedoms. The man is a saint.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 11:07:31 AM
At 12/30/2009 10:56:13 AM, Volkov wrote:

That's false. The vote in Russia surrounding the Presidential election is usually considered pretty legit. The legislative and local elections, however, are different; parties are purposefully locked out, supporters can't get in voting booths, and candidates are intimidated to drop out.

But, still, its the most legit illegitimate election ever. People actually do love Putin, and why not? The man brought order to a chaotic regime left by Yeltsin, erased deficits and debt and raised the standard of living in Russia, all in exchange for a few less freedoms. The man is a saint.

60% miss the USSR, which I find suprising.
http://www.csmonitor.com...
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 11:09:49 AM
At 12/30/2009 10:56:13 AM, Volkov wrote:

I really don't know which elections I'm talking about. All I know is that some people proved that an election was a fake, and people didn't really care all that much.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 11:15:04 AM
At 12/30/2009 11:09:49 AM, mongoose wrote:
I really don't know which elections I'm talking about. All I know is that some people proved that an election was a fake, and people didn't really care all that much.

It's probably a local election, then. I don't think anyone has proven that a regional or presidential election has been 'faked', yet. And yeah, I can see people not caring; why bother going up in arms, especially if there was no support against the winner anyways? Because I'm willing to bet this election was rigged by a United Russia candidate, and UR gains 70% of the vote, and most consider it legit. xD
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 1:29:18 PM
At 12/29/2009 7:36:05 PM, Volkov wrote:
Aye, I'm bored. So!..

What would you say are the top five political moments of this year? This could be ranging from domestic, to international, Hell, even local if you want, though I'd ask for links in that case. But, it should be something that takes into account what you perceive to be major shifts or events in the political sphere, like maybe the election of someone particular, or the loss of someone that had a big impact, the passing of major legislation, or just something that had made you look twice. (Doesn't have to be 5, by the way.)

Anyways! Here's my list:

1. Conclusion of the 2008/2009 Canadian Parliamentary Crisis, with Michael Ignatieff taking control of the Liberal Party and averting the coalition: http://en.wikipedia.org...

2. Passing of HR 3200, or essentially the healthcare bill, by the Obama administration despite the huge political wrangling that took place, as well as the obstructionist measures of the GOP: http://en.wikipedia.org...

3. The 2009 European Parliament elections within the United Kingdom, which saw the Labour Party fall into third place behind the Conservatives and UKIP, as well as the rise of the British National Party to two seats, telling of an apathetic political culture in the world's oldest democracy: http://en.wikipedia.org...

4. The mass protests against the Iranian government of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad due to perceived electoral fraud, which has shown the world that not only are Iranians politically aware, but p*ssed off at the same time: http://en.wikipedia.org...

5. Sarah Palin's insane year, when she prematurely ended her term in office, created a "death panel" scare, wrote a book, and continues to make her name a household one, even after her 15 minutes during the election.

So, yeah! What are your top five (politically related) moments of this year?

1.1/20/09.....Bush's last day.
2.Obama's inaugaration
3.The guy calling Obama a liar while he was sepaking
4.Sarah Palin being put in her incoherent place
5.McCain's little arms waving by as he lost....lol
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 3:07:42 PM
1 - The Lisbon treaty passes in Europe
2 - Obama is elected the 44th U.S. President
3 - The Health care bill is passed in the U.S.
4 - The fall of the Labour party in Britain.
5 - The ICC actually reaches an agreement.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.