Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 1:49:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I got this article from Politico

December 29, 2009
Categories:Homeland Security.Burton calls for Napolitano's scalp
Rep. Dan Burton (R-Ind.) — the guy who blew away a pumpkin to replicate Vince Foster's "murder" and called President Clinton a "scumbag" — is the first Republican out of the box to call for DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano's resignation.

Never mind that half of Burton's press release implicates the FBI, DOJ, State Department and foreign governments just as much as DHS. ...

He concludes that, like a January Santa hat, Napolitano's just got to go!

"The details surrounding Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab's attempt to kill hundreds of Americans on Northwest Flight 253 amount to what is a phenomenal breach of security. This Al Qaeda operative offered no shortage of red flags, but none caught the eye of intelligence and security officials. Reports indicated that the laundry list of warning signs includes Mr. Abdulmutallab, who was on the terrorist watch list, buying a one-way ticket with cash, not checking any luggage, and boarding the flight without a passport. Most shocking, his father told the U.S. Embassy in Nigeria, weeks ago, that his son had been radicalized and is dangerous.

"The fact that this security breach occurred in such a brazen way means that there was a level of significant incompetence involved, and I believe that rests solely on the shoulders of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano. After serving on the Foreign Affairs Committee for the last 25 years, I can say with certainty that Secretary Napolitano does not have the background or experience necessary to execute her responsibilities. Her bizarre remarks on Sunday were the final straw in a series of embarrassing and incompetent comments this year. By saying ‘the system worked,' Secretary Napolitano has undermined the confidence of Americans."
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 1:52:47 PM
Yes, Napolitano should quit. She has zero experience to be Secretary of the DHS and her actions after the event on Xmas are worrisome. She is better suited for a DOJ or OLC job - or maybe a Presidential advisory role.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 1:55:25 PM
Give her the axe.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 2:07:14 PM
At 12/30/2009 1:52:47 PM, Nags wrote:
Yes, Napolitano should quit. She has zero experience to be Secretary of the DHS and her actions after the event on Xmas are worrisome. She is better suited for a DOJ or OLC job - or maybe a Presidential advisory role.

Who do you think would have been better suited?...Wasn't Richardson supposed to be the original one?
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 2:11:59 PM
At 12/30/2009 2:07:14 PM, kelly224 wrote:

Who do you think would have been better suited?...Wasn't Richardson supposed to be the original one?

Someone who isn't afraid to arrest and needless accuse muslims of terrorism. I'd rather 1000 innocent muslims be arrested and investigated than 1 guilty one get aboard a plane with explosives.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 2:24:20 PM
At 12/30/2009 2:11:59 PM, johngriswald wrote:

Someone who isn't afraid to arrest and needless accuse muslims of terrorism. I'd rather 1000 innocent muslims be arrested and investigated than 1 guilty one get aboard a plane with explosives.

"It is better to risk saving a guilty man than to condemn an innocent one."
Voltaire
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 2:25:39 PM
At 12/30/2009 2:24:20 PM, comoncents wrote:
Voltaire

Voltaire didn't live with terrorism.

ddofans.com
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 2:26:26 PM

Benjamin Franklin thought "that it is better [one hundred] guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer."
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 2:28:02 PM
At 12/30/2009 2:26:26 PM, comoncents wrote:
Benjamin Franklin thought "that it is better [one hundred] guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer."

There's a difference between accusing and investigating and holding someone in a jail for years on end.

ddofans.com
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 2:30:11 PM
At 12/30/2009 2:28:02 PM, johngriswald wrote:

There's a difference between accusing and investigating and holding someone in a jail for years on end.

But it happens sometimes.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 2:45:01 PM

That same mentality was in cuba when a lot of my uncles were taken up an put in jail. 10 years for one of them. 20 years two of them sat there for just walking on the street together going to get bread from the bread truck.

We really can not live in a free country with all of that stuff going on.

They were finally released and given nothing.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 3:00:21 PM

Bill Richardson was supposed to be the original Commerce Secretary.

I'm not really sure who would have been better suited. A congressman or senator who has been active as a member on a committee where homeland security issues are frequently dealt with. Dianne Feinstein, the Democratic Senator from California who chairs the Senate Intelligence Committee comes to mind -- she is more than experienced to lead the DHS. I'm sure there are other congressmen or senators who are just as qualified - governors just usually don't have the experience necessary to lead the DHS. Outside of Capitol Hill, men and women who are senior policy analysts for leading think tanks with expertise in homeland security, national defense, etc would be good choices. For example, I just took a look at the leading liberal think tank 'Center for American Progress' and looked at the experts for homeland security and 'Rudy deLeon' (http://www.americanprogress.org...) popped up. He is qualified to lead the DHS and I'm sure he fits in with Obama's ideology for the most part.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2010 10:15:52 PM
Napolitano was clearly unqualified from the start. Obama is a highly skilled politician with few administrative or other relevant practical experience, so the bulk of his appointments are in that pattern. For some jobs like Secretary of Labor, that's acceptable, but not for Homeland Security.

I think DHS should be headed by an ex-military or ex-CIA type with substantial administrative experience. Obama's Director of National Intelligence Dennis C. Blair http://en.wikipedia.org... would likely be a much better choice than Napolitano. He was a four-star Admiral, etc. It would be a mistake to put a name politician into the job. What we want is a no-nonsense decisive leader with the relevant technical expertise, not an expert at posturing and amorphous generalities.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2010 3:56:49 AM

"Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Ben Franklin
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2010 5:26:20 AM
At 1/2/2010 3:56:49 AM, comoncents wrote:
"Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Ben Franklin

Ben Franklin was having sex with whores in France while the real war was being fought in the states. He was a schmoozer for the states and was integral in winning the revolution, but do not mistake him for a modern foreign affairs advisor.

ddofans.com
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2010 1:17:50 PM

That was a little callous to say. So it's ok to single out Muslims, what if it was 1000 white folks being rounded up?...Haven't they done enough to be rounded up just the same way?..Or any race for that matter. It is an issue if I make a generalization, but ok in your circumstance. Ok, thanks for the double standard.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2010 1:19:11 PM
At 12/30/2009 2:25:39 PM, johngriswald wrote:
At 12/30/2009 2:24:20 PM, comoncents wrote:
Voltaire

Voltaire didn't live with terrorism.

There are travails for every time in history. Terrorism is just the one for our time.