Jump to topic:

RT:Shorter Work Week More Social/Econ Benefit

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 1:19:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Reducing the working week from 40 hours to 30 is not what all employees exactly crave, but it could be economically beneficial, the New Economics Foundation says. Fewer working hours would create more jobs, improve health and stimulate social life.

Modern life provides people with a number of opportunities as never before. However, work consumes free time and drains energy. In order to decrease working hours and make-part time full-time, companies can give their employees more leisure time instead of increasing wages."

A group of eight economists from the New Economics Foundation suggested, that the passage from a 40 to a 30-hour working week would ease employees' lives, improve health, open up more opportunities and stimulate social life.

http://rt.com...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 1:19:41 PM
My response:

The headline is objectionable at first glance but if you read the article, it makes sense.

I'm not an advocate for government regulations forcing businesses to cut hours but if the job market voluntarily shifts towards a shorter work week, I support that. Many people are overwhelmed when 5/7ths of their week is spent working with little room in their life for leisure.

Often times people stretch their work load out to give themselves something to do for long days spent at work.

It may in fact be true that shorter work hours would lead to more efficiency because their would be a ticking clock incentive to get things done quicker and more efficiently.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 2:40:20 PM
1. Make leisure and work the same thing.
2.?????
3. Profit

Seriously, why would anybody do a job that they hate?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 2:52:33 PM
At 11/4/2013 2:40:20 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

You've never had a job before and desire some unskilled labor to fill out a resume even though virtually all unskilled labor involves dealing with people and you utterly hate dealing with people.
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 4:16:48 PM
2.?????
3. Profit

I love my job, and my work hours for the most part.

What I don't like is going home, having only enough time for dinner and then the evening is over. Or having only a day and a half to hang out with friends.

I work four 10s with a 3 day weekend so I really can't complain but it would be nice if more people had that opportunity or I wouldn't mind doing 35 instead of 40 hours.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 5:23:56 PM
At 11/4/2013 2:52:33 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

You've never had a job before and desire some unskilled labor to fill out a resume even though virtually all unskilled labor involves dealing with people and you utterly hate dealing with people.

Yes, if you're a high school dropout. Otherwise, people don't do unskilled labor with a degree.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 5:25:41 PM
At 11/4/2013 5:23:56 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Yes, if you're a high school dropout. Otherwise, people don't do unskilled labor with a degree.

Or anyone that hasn't been hired, and doesn't have a college degree.

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 5:25:54 PM
At 11/4/2013 4:16:48 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
2.?????
3. Profit

I love my job, and my work hours for the most part.

What I don't like is going home, having only enough time for dinner and then the evening is over. Or having only a day and a half to hang out with friends.

I work four 10s with a 3 day weekend so I really can't complain but it would be nice if more people had that opportunity or I wouldn't mind doing 35 instead of 40 hours.

Stop dividing your day into "job" and "not job." If you seriously love what you do, then think of your job as an extension of your wants and enjoyment. Why wouldn't you enjoy doing something that you love for as long as possible? Unless you don't like your job, that is.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 5:26:46 PM
At 11/4/2013 5:25:41 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

Whose fault is that? I have no pity for those that don't get a degree.

Furthermore, the unskilled labor part is temporary. This article, I assume, is talking about a long-term job.
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 5:36:31 PM
At 11/4/2013 5:26:46 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Furthermore, the unskilled labor part is temporary. This article, I assume, is talking about a long-term job.

I meant people with a high school diploma who are in college, but haven't graduated yet.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 5:37:27 PM
At 11/4/2013 5:36:31 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

I meant people with a high school diploma who are in college, but haven't graduated yet.

Yeah... they're studying. If they want, they can always get an internship during the summer or a small part-time job during the weekends.
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 5:43:33 PM
At 11/4/2013 5:37:27 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Yeah... they're studying. If they want, they can always get an internship during the summer or a small part-time job during the weekends.

If it was that easy, I'd have a job. You are forgetting the problem of: "You need job experience to get job experience".

ironmaiden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 5:45:50 PM

Agreed.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
ironmaiden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 5:54:38 PM
If I had a job and all of a sudden the work week was changed into 4 days instead of 5, I would be happy unless it hurt my income. But yes, it would be nice to have every Firay or Monday off. However, I would probably have more weekend homework (which I think is bvllshit anyways, since I never have a free weekend).

I also think more people would have to be hired to get the same job done in 4 days, so it could potentially drop unemployment, drop the number of welfare recipients, and turn this economy around.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 5:56:14 PM
At 11/4/2013 5:43:33 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

If it was that easy, I'd have a job. You are forgetting the problem of: "You need job experience to get job experience".

If you are currently studying, then you don't need a job- focus on your studies. If you have already gotten a degree, then it shouldn't be that hard to get a job.
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 5:59:08 PM
At 11/4/2013 5:56:14 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 11/4/2013 5:43:33 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

If you are currently studying, then you don't need a job- focus on your studies. If you have already gotten a degree, then it shouldn't be that hard to get a job.

That's what I have decided, but I am still dealing with my dad always asking me how many applications I have filed, since he is very indoctrinated in hard work.

ironmaiden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 6:01:39 PM

Actually, it's harder than you think, unfortunately. There are so many people with a degree that are either unemployed or underemployed, it's ridiculous.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 6:05:42 PM
2.?????
3. Profit

Seriously?
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 6:17:51 PM
At 11/4/2013 6:01:39 PM, ironmaiden wrote:

Actually, it's harder than you think, unfortunately. There are so many people with a degree that are either unemployed or underemployed, it's ridiculous.

While I'm sure that some people will always be unemployed, I can't imagine that having people major in Feminist Literature (or pretty much anything in the humanities) helps the unemployment rate.
ironmaiden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 6:31:45 PM
At 11/4/2013 6:17:51 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 11/4/2013 6:01:39 PM, ironmaiden wrote:

While I'm sure that some people will always be unemployed, I can't imagine that having people major in Feminist Literature (or pretty much anything in the humanities) helps the unemployment rate.

Oh, yeah, well that's obvious. I just wasted a good month this year in high school with that crap. But it's not like minor/insignificant subjects are the problem. I know people with engineering degrees that can't find jobs. This isn't just a problem with them, it's a problem with the country.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 6:35:53 PM

Degree =/= skill in the workforce

1. There is a college bubble. a. There's so many people with degrees that it is no longer a special qualification. b. There's an over abundance of students subsidized by government student loans but supply isn't increasing with the demand.

2. It makes no sense to get in $70,000 to graduate college with a piece of paper and no opportunistic job market.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 6:46:17 PM
At 11/4/2013 5:25:54 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Stop dividing your day into "job" and "not job." If you seriously love what you do, then think of your job as an extension of your wants and enjoyment. Why wouldn't you enjoy doing something that you love for as long as possible? Unless you don't like your job, that is.

I like playing basketball and video games, doesn't mean I never need a break from either. I love eating, doesn't mean I will just eat endlessly. Everything has limits and thresholds, even things you like.

If you had a wife and loved her, you would say that unless you were willing to spend every waking second with her, you don't love her? Good luck with that life philosophy.

I'm one of the few people in the world who actually works at their dream job. Most people have to work jobs they don't like and all you can tell them is they should have chose a job they enjoy? It's not that easy and it's not how the world works. There's plumbers, garbage men, fast food workers, etc. and your advice is, don't do these vital jobs, quit and go be a rock star.

I don't think you've thought this through.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 6:58:12 PM

Any number of reasons, the most likely being "to be able to afford to live and eat." I have known more than several people who actually liked their jobs when they started out, but grew to hate it over time and are reluctant to change because of the risk that would present to their families, their lack of other available options, their hope that their current status quo would end, or their proximity to retirement and the extent to which changing jobs would hurt their prospects for retirement.
Tsar of DDO
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 7:01:10 PM
At 11/4/2013 6:58:12 PM, YYW wrote:

Any number of reasons, the most likely being "to be able to afford to live and eat." I have known more than several people who actually liked their jobs when they started out, but grew to hate it over time and are reluctant to change because of the risk that would present to their families, their lack of other available options, their hope that their current status quo would end, or their proximity to retirement and the extent to which changing jobs would hurt their prospects for retirement.

That's pathetic. Risk taking for the sake of risk taking is an amazing feeling.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 7:01:24 PM
At 11/4/2013 6:35:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Degree =/= skill in the workforce

1. There is a college bubble. a. There's so many people with degrees that it is no longer a special qualification. b. There's an over abundance of students subsidized by government student loans but supply isn't increasing with the demand.

2. It makes no sense to get in $70,000 to graduate college with a piece of paper and no opportunistic job market.

However, with so many people with a degree, many companies won't even look at your resume if you don't have one. While the educational arms race may seem stupid, if you don't keep up, you get shafted.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 7:02:17 PM
At 11/4/2013 7:01:10 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Perhaps if you're a 17 year old kid with a love of cold showers... if you're a parent, with kids of any age you might have a different perspective.
Tsar of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 7:02:26 PM

Depends on the person.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 7:04:40 PM
I have to leave this thread, I'm finding myself nodding in agreement to Geo, lol. By our very political natures, we must be opposites, should we ever meet in the middle, it would be like a matter-antimatter reaction.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 7:05:24 PM
At 11/4/2013 7:02:17 PM, YYW wrote:

Perhaps if you're a 17 year old kid with a love of cold showers... if you're a parent, with kids of any age you might have a different perspective.

Yeah, I know that there are different sorts of people. But being trapped in an endless and unenjoyable routine by anything makes life not worth living. Impulsivity is sometimes the smartest and most enjoyable approach.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2013 7:20:05 PM
At 11/4/2013 7:05:24 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 11/4/2013 7:02:17 PM, YYW wrote:

Yeah, I know that there are different sorts of people. But being trapped in an endless and unenjoyable routine by anything makes life not worth living.

No one is ever completely "trapped" by their circumstance, but it is equally the case that almost no one can really become "whatever they want to be." The options we have in any case are constrained by our circumstances, which define what our options are -but our choices from within those circumstances likewise define the outcome.

On your claim that 'if people are trapped in endless and unenjoyable routines then life is not worth living,' I'm going to have to take issue with that because no person is ever truly "trapped" unless a person has either been sentenced to death or sentenced to life in prison. So, every person not incarcerated has at least some power to affect their circumstances, and what their their choices are dictate whether their lives' will be impacted for better or worse.

Impulsivity is sometimes the smartest and most enjoyable approach.

That, I'll take categorical issue with.
Tsar of DDO