Total Posts:3|Showing Posts:1-3
Jump to topic:

Can Presidents really influence/take credit..

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2013 9:49:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Can Presidents really influence/take credit for the economy In your opinion?

I ask this because it appears to me that no matter what past Presidents claimed to do or have tried to do to influence the economy, and that no matter which past presidents have tried to take credit for good economic times in the US, there always seems to be massive evidence that Presidents and their policies had a very small impact on well being or growth of the economy, if any at all.....

For example: Ive seen evidence that Bush the second was powerless to stop the crashing economy at the end of his second term, that he could not have done anything significant to make it worse..... Ive seen evidence that Clinton didnt do much to make the economy as well as it was in the 1990's and that he cant take credit for causing the booming economy because he was simply in the right place at the right time...... Ive seen evidence that Reagan's policies werent responsible for the economic boom in the 1980's and that they in reality greatly harmed the economy when they were first implemented...... And ive seen evidence that FDR's economic policies didnt have much of an effect on the economy during the Great Depression and that they may have even hindered growth of it during the Great Depression.......

What im saying is that there always seems to be evidence that suggests Presidents dont have as much nearly as much power or influence over the economy as they claim they do or as we think they do...... Am I the only one who thinks this?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2013 10:12:39 PM
At 11/10/2013 9:49:55 PM, imabench wrote:
Can Presidents really influence/take credit for the economy In your opinion?

I ask this because it appears to me that no matter what past Presidents claimed to do or have tried to do to influence the economy, and that no matter which past presidents have tried to take credit for good economic times in the US, there always seems to be massive evidence that Presidents and their policies had a very small impact on well being or growth of the economy, if any at all.....

For example: Ive seen evidence that Bush the second was powerless to stop the crashing economy at the end of his second term, that he could not have done anything significant to make it worse..... Ive seen evidence that Clinton didnt do much to make the economy as well as it was in the 1990's and that he cant take credit for causing the booming economy because he was simply in the right place at the right time...... Ive seen evidence that Reagan's policies werent responsible for the economic boom in the 1980's and that they in reality greatly harmed the economy when they were first implemented...... And ive seen evidence that FDR's economic policies didnt have much of an effect on the economy during the Great Depression and that they may have even hindered growth of it during the Great Depression.......

What im saying is that there always seems to be evidence that suggests Presidents dont have as much nearly as much power or influence over the economy as they claim they do or as we think they do...... Am I the only one who thinks this?

I don't think they can, either.

To be honest, I find it tenuous for them to claim credit for really anything that is a domestic legislative act. I think people tend to look at the President as being an autocrat when he really isn't - and shouldn't. Like, honestly, to me the United States Congress is/should be the most important/powerful main branch of government (with the obvious checks and balances from the other two).
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2013 10:24:39 PM
At 11/10/2013 10:12:39 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I don't think they can, either.

To be honest, I find it tenuous for them to claim credit for really anything that is a domestic legislative act.

Im starting to come around to that conclusion too..... Like in the future if a president claims that they will be able to fix or improve a lagging economy if elected, then Id probably consider that a red flag and count it against that candidate when I vote now.

I think people tend to look at the President as being an autocrat when he really isn't - and shouldn't. Like, honestly, to me the United States Congress is/should be the most important/powerful main branch of government (with the obvious checks and balances from the other two).

In my opinion though I think both branches are equally powerless in controlling/influencing the well being of the economy
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015