Jump to topic:

Healthcare.gov Crashes in Front of Sebelious

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 3:01:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This is absolutely classic, Healthcare.gov crashes in front of Kathleen Sebelius as she's trying to promote it.

Just yesterday she claimed "The error rate is down to less than one percent and the volume capacity is continuing to be added to."
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 3:27:26 PM
"According to a new report, more than 700 fake Obamacare websites have been created. Security experts say it's simple to identify the phony sites because they are easy to log on to."

- Jay Leno
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 4:05:37 PM
At 11/20/2013 3:27:26 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
"According to a new report, more than 700 fake Obamacare websites have been created. Security experts say it's simple to identify the phony sites because they are easy to log on to."

- Jay Leno

Lol rofl!
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 6:35:39 PM
At 11/20/2013 3:01:54 PM, lewis20 wrote:
This is absolutely classic, Healthcare.gov crashes in front of Kathleen Sebelius as she's trying to promote it.

Just yesterday she claimed "The error rate is down to less than one percent and the volume capacity is continuing to be added to."

This is why programming sucks. No matter how hard you try, it still can fail dramatically.

I already feel bad for Obama because of all of this, but I'm going to feel even worse when a future President uses a website to get their bill up and running, and it works flawlessly.
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 8:57:44 PM
Its not because programming sucks, its because govt is technology incompetent and contracted the website to politically connected cronies.
Its a billion dollar website, not a second year computer science group project.

drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 12:32:52 AM
At 11/20/2013 8:57:44 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Its not because programming sucks, its because govt is technology incompetent and contracted the website to politically connected cronies.

This would be the fundamental problem. Our government isn't reluctant to be in debt up to their eyeballs, but they are hesitant to spend a little extra money on a major project to ensure the job is done right.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 12:41:15 AM

Never go into business with your family, unless you are a politician....
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 8:58:30 AM

There are problems in probably every major website in existence, for example:
-Adobe got hacked because they were stupid enough to not hash-salt their passwords, and how gigabytes worth of data is lost.
-Sony's database got hacked (hashing key was hacked), which caused a massive loss of personal information.
-Steam's database got hacked (possibly same reason as Sony's incident), which caused a massive loss of personal information.
-Oracle released a version of Java with MAJOR security holes in it.

These are some of the biggest Internet companies on the planet. I doubt these were all made by "politically connected cronies".

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 10:13:20 AM
At 11/21/2013 8:58:30 AM, themohawkninja wrote:

-Adobe got hacked because they were stupid enough to not hash-salt their passwords, and how gigabytes worth of data is lost.
-Sony's database got hacked (hashing key was hacked), which caused a massive loss of personal information.
-Steam's database got hacked (possibly same reason as Sony's incident), which caused a massive loss of personal information.

These are some of the biggest Internet companies on the planet. I doubt these were all made by "politically connected cronies".

This. Being a web developer is quite difficult, even when you are hired to a permanent position by a tech company that knows what they are doing and what they want. When you are dealing with the government, who creates strict rules to adhere to, and you are creating a website that queries as many databases as healthcare.gov has to query, the job gets a bit harder. It becomes especially difficult when you are pressured to release an incomplete product to meet a deadline - development often meets roadblocks, and it takes time to release a finished, polished product, and this is true in every tech industry. If the Democrats had any foresight of this problem, they would have taken the individual mandate delay offer during the government shutdown.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 12:31:19 PM

Getting hacked =/= to failing to do a job of building a working website.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 12:32:50 PM
At 11/21/2013 10:13:20 AM, drhead wrote:

This. Being a web developer is quite difficult, even when you are hired to a permanent position by a tech company that knows what they are doing and what they want. When you are dealing with the government, who creates strict rules to adhere to, and you are creating a website that queries as many databases as healthcare.gov has to query, the job gets a bit harder. It becomes especially difficult when you are pressured to release an incomplete product to meet a deadline - development often meets roadblocks, and it takes time to release a finished, polished product, and this is true in every tech industry. If the Democrats had any foresight of this problem, they would have taken the individual mandate delay offer during the government shutdown.

So what you're saying is, and correct me if I'm wrong,is that the problem with government trying to do something like this is government.

themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 12:33:19 PM
At 11/21/2013 12:31:19 PM, lewis20 wrote:

The ability to get hacked shows a failure on the programmers part to build a secure website. Hacking and reliability are both directly related to the programmers code.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 1:05:42 PM
At 11/21/2013 12:33:19 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

The ability to get hacked shows a failure on the programmers part to build a secure website. Hacking and reliability are both directly related to the programmers code.

Yes, it shows a failure above and beyond the websites basic failure to allow people to sign up and constant crashes.
When working websites get hacked it's because a vulnerability gets exploited, not because the website itself is a non-functional mess which constantly crashes.

themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 1:08:57 PM
At 11/21/2013 1:05:42 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 11/21/2013 12:33:19 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

Yes, it shows a failure above and beyond the websites basic failure to allow people to sign up and constant crashes.
When working websites get hacked it's because a vulnerability gets exploited, not because the website itself is a non-functional mess which constantly crashes.

If a website can get hacked, it's not that far of a stretch to say that it's non-functional, especially on the scale that the aforementioned examples operate on. That's why website security is such a big business, because those sites could have been completely shutdown when they were hacked, and the code altered to be just as bad as healthcare.gov if the hackers wanted to.

drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 8:05:23 PM
At 11/21/2013 12:32:50 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 11/21/2013 10:13:20 AM, drhead wrote:

So what you're saying is, and correct me if I'm wrong,is that the problem with government trying to do something like this is government.

They could have handled it differently. Like I said, delaying the individual mandate is the obvious solution here. The public response would be no better or worse than the response when a video game company announces a delay, and the response from releasing the website in its current state is exactly what is seen every time a product is rushed to meet a deadline. The problem isn't government, it's that people somehow think that programmers are magical wizards that can write an entire operating system in a week.
Wall of Fail

ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 12:47:47 AM
At 11/20/2013 3:01:54 PM, lewis20 wrote:

I shall snicker for many years.
LOL, yeah, it's pretty amazing how they think they can "reason" with you. - Sidewalker, speaking of advocates for sexual deviancy.

So, my advice, Liberty, is to go somewhere else. Leave, and never come back. - YYW

And that's what I did. Contact me at http://www.edeb8.com... by the same user name if you have anything you'd like to say.
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 12:54:47 AM
Software projects fail that's true, but that's why you have testers and why if you MUST have some functionality by a certain date you hire more than one team and pick the best at the end (like they do for defense contracts).

Now why would they use Java? Why why why? This middle of the ground applet stuff is more trouble than it's worth. Write native applications if you want/need something on the client and write HTML + JS + AJAX if you don't.
LOL, yeah, it's pretty amazing how they think they can "reason" with you. - Sidewalker, speaking of advocates for sexual deviancy.

So, my advice, Liberty, is to go somewhere else. Leave, and never come back. - YYW

And that's what I did. Contact me at http://www.edeb8.com... by the same user name if you have anything you'd like to say.