Liberal Party of DDO 2014

TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 7:32:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Just a curious thing ..

what if we started a liberal presidential party on here?
due to the elections coming up, I figure we wouldn't produce a candidate this year, but instead endorse one together and then later on elect a leader and platform for the party to stand on.

Whatta ya think? Would anyone be interested?
Thank you for voting!
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 7:50:48 PM
At 12/1/2013 7:32:26 PM, TheHitchslap wrote:
Just a curious thing ..

due to the elections coming up, I figure we wouldn't produce a candidate this year, but instead endorse one together and then later on elect a leader and platform for the party to stand on.

A liberal party for DDO President?

Or a liberal DDO party for President of the US?
Debate.org Moderator
TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 7:52:39 PM
At 12/1/2013 7:50:48 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Just a curious thing ..

Yes

Or a liberal DDO party for President of the US?
No..assuming that they'll vote this way anyways...
Thank you for voting!
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 7:56:34 PM
Just a curious thing ..

Been done, this has.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 7:57:31 PM
At 12/1/2013 7:56:34 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Just a curious thing ..

Been done, this has.

Really? Where?
Thank you for voting!
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 8:00:17 PM
At 12/1/2013 7:52:39 PM, TheHitchslap wrote:
At 12/1/2013 7:50:48 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Just a curious thing ..

Yes

I think having political parties would be fun, but it doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense, especially not with the dynamic of conservative versus liberal.

As you know, the reason political parties exists is because of a differing set of views and ideas from within the governed, this same dynamic doesn't necessarily exists for the DDO President. They are tasked with making sense of what members want from the site and presenting this to Juggle. They are not tasked to govern in any way.

If we had elections for moderator (something this isn't going to happen) this would make some sense, but DDO President is more of an ambassador/Public spokesman/Liaison role, rather than something that compares with an executive/President role.

I think we are more likely to see political parties evolve out of single issues. At one point I though this might be the issue of unbanning Askbob (something that will never happen - and the DDO President has no say on this anyway) and now it might come down to the party of "extremely wants Team Debates" versus the Party of "Is more indifferent to Team Debates" (or something similar).

So ultimately I don't think a liberal party makes a lot of sense, though the idea of parties is an interesting one, but due to the dynamics and electorate, I don't think is very likely or necessary.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 8:01:32 PM
Just a curious thing ..

Been done, this has.

Right, but those parties didn't necessarily reflect any differing views within the electorate. It was simply done for the fun of it.

Was there a significantly differing view from the Party Party and the whatever party... seems like it was parties for the sake of it... kinda like the VP.
Debate.org Moderator
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 8:02:29 PM
Just a curious thing ..

Been done, this has.

Yoda, you are not
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 8:21:05 PM
At 12/1/2013 8:01:32 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Just a curious thing ..

Been done, this has.

Right, but those parties didn't necessarily reflect any differing views within the electorate. It was simply done for the fun of it.

Was there a significantly differing view from the Party Party and the whatever party... seems like it was parties for the sake of it... kinda like the VP.

Rivalslb Party. Think it was me, Panda, askbob, Tv, Bluesteel, WJM, and a few others. Maybe Koopin.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 8:21:08 PM
I agree with airmax. The essence of debate is rhetorical skill, beyond any political or philosophical point of view. The best debaters are those who can win a political argument from a liberal perspective then turn right around and win the same debate from a conservative point of view. Likewise, our evaluation of debate rewards the most persuasive argument irrespective of political position. Although partisanship is inevitable in social media, this site is enhanced when political perspective is made secondary to the contest and the skill of the contenders. Organizing along political lines disenfranchises the outsiders and discourages the consideration of multiple perspectives.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 8:24:59 PM
At 12/1/2013 8:21:05 PM, Noumena wrote:
Just a curious thing ..

Been done, this has.

Rivalslb Party. Think it was me, Panda, askbob, Tv, Bluesteel, WJM, and a few others. Maybe Koopin.

Rivalslb, that was it.... The point was though that the point of views of that party and the other didn't necessarily diverge in any significant way. Maybe on a few points, but nothing that would necessitate parties for electing a DDO President as we know the position today.
Debate.org Moderator
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 8:28:37 PM
At 12/1/2013 8:24:59 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Just a curious thing ..

Been done, this has.

Rivalslb, that was it.... The point was though that the point of views of that party and the other didn't necessarily diverge in any significant way. Maybe on a few points, but nothing that would necessitate parties for electing a DDO President as we know the position today.

It was a bit more complicated. The Party Party wasn't serious and was popular when the Presidecy didn't mean anything (I think Cody ran with them). The Rivallb had a platform and ran seriously. I think we ran against Inno once or twice.
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 8:32:42 PM
At 12/1/2013 8:28:37 PM, Noumena wrote:
Just a curious thing ..

Been done, this has.

It was a bit more complicated. The Party Party wasn't serious and was popular when the Presidecy didn't mean anything (I think Cody ran with them). The Rivallb had a platform and ran seriously. I think we ran against Inno once or twice.

They actually ran on their own (Freedo), but when they saw that they were losing (in a 3 way election) they pooled their support to give Cody the win over Innomen in the 3rd election (Innomen would later go on to win the 4th election when they began meaning something).
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 8:33:34 PM
At 12/1/2013 8:32:42 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Just a curious thing ..

Been done, this has.

They actually ran on their own (Freedo), but when they saw that they were losing (in a 3 way election) they pooled their support to give Cody the win over Innomen in the 3rd election (Innomen would later go on to win the 4th election when they began meaning something).

Oh yeah lol
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 8:35:30 PM
Just a curious thing ..

Been done, this has.

Right, that's why I specified the President "as we know the position today". I know it was mostly for fun then, but this makes the parties about picking a side for little more reason than siding with friends or other motives not consistent with the general idea of a political party.

I do believe Cody ran with the Party Party, and I do believe Innomen lost when 2 of the parties colluded to defeat him.
Debate.org Moderator
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 8:42:11 PM
At 12/1/2013 8:35:30 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Just a curious thing ..

Been done, this has.

Right, that's why I specified the President "as we know the position today". I know it was mostly for fun then, but this makes the parties about picking a side for little more reason than siding with friends or other motives not consistent with the general idea of a political party.

I do believe Cody ran with the Party Party, and I do believe Innomen lost when 2 of the parties colluded to defeat him.

I can see Parties (theoretically) being seriously used. Though not realistically. The Rivalslb Party attempted this but unfortunately right around the time Innomen changed the general way in which the position is filled.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 8:49:00 PM
At 12/1/2013 8:42:11 PM, Noumena wrote:
Just a curious thing ..

Been done, this has.

I can see Parties (theoretically) being seriously used. Though not realistically. The Rivalslb Party attempted this but unfortunately right around the time Innomen changed the general way in which the position is filled.

Yeah I think there are some hypothetical situations in which parties could be used, and I personally like the idea. I think it would be interesting and if there were particularly divisive issues it would be useful in determining which side more members sided with. But as it is I don't see any practical purpose for it.

But if we were to elect a dual President/moderator, something as I said that wont be happening for several reasons, there would be a good reason to have parties, and the liberal versus conservative dynamic would actually make a lot of sense.
Debate.org Moderator
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:50:31 PM
Just a curious thing ..

Been done, this has.

Well, I didn't run "with the Party Party". I actually have some interesting PMs with innomen requesting precisely the opposite arrangement. I was a Freedom Party guy, and the Party Party decided, I guess, to do their thing at the last minute.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:54:16 PM
At 12/1/2013 11:50:31 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Just a curious thing ..

Been done, this has.

Well, I didn't run "with the Party Party". I actually have some interesting PMs with innomen requesting precisely the opposite arrangement. I was a Freedom Party guy, and the Party Party decided, I guess, to do their thing at the last minute.

hmm interesting. I guess it doesn't make any practical difference, it's just interesting that we have a fairly vibrant political history on the site.
Debate.org Moderator
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 12:29:00 AM
At 12/1/2013 11:54:16 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

hmm interesting. I guess it doesn't make any practical difference, it's just interesting that we have a fairly vibrant political history on the site.

I always wonder what it might be like to be President a second time. The first go wasn't entirely ineffective (there was actually considerable work done, but I didn't much care to talk about it), but I am equally curious as to what might have been accomplished had I been able to access the kind of structure we have now.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 12:32:56 AM
At 12/2/2013 12:29:00 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

I always wonder what it might be like to be President a second time. The first go wasn't entirely ineffective (there was actually considerable work done, but I didn't much care to talk about it), but I am equally curious as to what might have been accomplished had I been able to access the kind of structure we have now.

There's a greater legitimacy to the position and receptiveness of Juggle than there was before. I think you should strongly consider running this time. You obviously know the site well and have been around for awhile, I think you'd be a great candidate and the site could certainly use more serious candidates running in this election.
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 12:34:29 AM
Just a curious thing ..

Been done, this has.

What's funny is that we did a lot of political party stuff when the election was meaningless, but once it meant something, the parties disappeared almost completely.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 12:36:04 AM
At 12/2/2013 12:34:29 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Just a curious thing ..

Been done, this has.

What's funny is that we did a lot of political party stuff when the election was meaningless, but once it meant something, the parties disappeared almost completely.

Kind of ironic. Though I think it makes sense that once it became serious the extra stuff that didn't matter just disappeared.
Debate.org Moderator
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 12:45:22 AM
At 12/2/2013 12:32:56 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
There's a greater legitimacy to the position and receptiveness of Juggle than there was before. I think you should strongly consider running this time. You obviously know the site well and have been around for awhile, I think you'd be a great candidate and the site could certainly use more serious candidates running in this election.

Sure, why not.