Jump to topic:

Is the gov taking away right to rebel?

alvisd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:30:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
We have the right to overthrow an unjust government since the government rules at the peoples discretion and permission. My question is then can we actually use that right? I know there have been rebellions before some small like the whiskey rebellion so does it take more than a group of people to rebel for the government to shutdown. If so how many people does it take 1/1,000/1,000,000/150,000,000( half the nation)/the whole nation. if you say half the nation then wasn't that the civil war or is that not included since they were trying to break from the government and not reform it. Do presidential elections count as a different government? What are your thoughts on this, should we even have that right, and are we better off since we have never overthrown our government?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 12:43:29 AM
At 12/1/2013 11:30:11 PM, alvisd wrote:
We have the right to overthrow an unjust government since the government rules at the peoples discretion and permission. My question is then can we actually use that right? I know there have been rebellions before some small like the whiskey rebellion so does it take more than a group of people to rebel for the government to shutdown. If so how many people does it take 1/1,000/1,000,000/150,000,000( half the nation)/the whole nation. if you say half the nation then wasn't that the civil war or is that not included since they were trying to break from the government and not reform it. Do presidential elections count as a different government? What are your thoughts on this, should we even have that right, and are we better off since we have never overthrown our government?

You don't have the "right." You may have the "power" if enough support rallies to generate enough "power" to accomplish said goals.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 2:11:48 PM
At 12/2/2013 12:43:29 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/1/2013 11:30:11 PM, alvisd wrote:

You don't have the "right." You may have the "power" if enough support rallies to generate enough "power" to accomplish said goals.

I have the right to rebel, because I live in NH.

"[Art.] 10. [Right of Revolution.] Government being instituted for the common benefit, protection, and security, of the whole community, and not for the private interest or emolument of any one man, family, or class of men; therefore, whenever the ends of government are perverted, and public liberty manifestly endangered, and all other means of redress are ineffectual, the people may, and of right ought to reform the old, or establish a new government. The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind." ~ New Hampshire Bill of Rights, June 2, 1784
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle