Jump to topic:

Nelson Mandela Dead At Age 95 *

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2013 3:58:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
This just in...............Nelson Mandela has died at age 95. More on this later you guys. But the first South African President is dead. Your thoughts on this great man.
Thank you.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2013 10:42:10 AM
At 12/5/2013 3:58:13 PM, inferno wrote:
This just in...............Nelson Mandela has died at age 95. More on this later you guys. But the first South African President is dead. Your thoughts on this great man.
Thank you.

Well I guess that many of you do not understand the significance of this mans accomplishments in life. But if it were not for him and any other activist, you probably would not be free.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2013 1:06:51 PM
At 12/6/2013 10:42:10 AM, inferno wrote:
Thank you.

Well I guess that many of you do not understand the significance of this mans accomplishments in life. But if it were not for him and any other activist, you probably would not be free.

The MK was a horrible abomination of an organization.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2013 9:43:08 AM
At 12/6/2013 1:06:51 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Thank you.

The MK was a horrible abomination of an organization.

Explain.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2013 11:32:56 PM

"Nelson Mandela was the head of UmKhonto we Sizwe, (MK), the terrorist wing of the ANC and South African Communist Party. At his trial, he had pleaded guilty to 156 acts of public violence including mobilising terrorist bombing campaigns, which planted bombs in public places, including the Johannesburg railway station. Many innocent people, including women and children, were killed by Nelson Mandela"s MK terrorists.

Mandela was friendly with dictators."

http://thebackbencher.co.uk...

The Dalai Lama refuses to attend Mandela's memorial service.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 10:01:53 AM
Does smiling for cool photo ops with the spice girls makes up for blowing up kids during terrorist attacks, setting up a country that is the murder and rape capital of the world, and decreasing the GDP per capita by 40% through nationalization of industries?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
HPWKA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 11:50:05 AM
Does smiling for cool photo ops with the spice girls makes up for blowing up kids during terrorist attacks, setting up a country that is the murder and rape capital of the world, and decreasing the GDP per capita by 40% through nationalization of industries?

Its a bit more complicated then that. Mandela was part of a terrorist group, sure, but a terrorist group bred in response to the instigating and far greater terrorist; the White South African Apartheid government. OF the bombing Mandela took part in, most of them were intended to cause mayhem and structural damage, not kill civilians.

Regardless, the reason Mandela is considered a hero, much like Malcolm X, was his evolution inside prison, from a violent freedom fighter, to an intellectual leader, ready to extend his hand in forgiveness and progress, rather then drawback a fist in hatred.

For instance, Mandela was far less a terrorist then anyone in the US/European governments, who instigate macro-terror on the world stage, compared to Mandela, who was essentially a freedom fighter.

The economic struggles of South Africa are irrelevant. What's more important, freedom/equality, or money?
Feelings are the fleeting fancy of fools.
The search for truth in a world of lies is the only thing that matters.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 4:02:24 PM
At 12/10/2013 11:50:05 AM, HPWKA wrote:

Its a bit more complicated then that. Mandela was part of a terrorist group, sure, but a terrorist group bred in response to the instigating and far greater terrorist; the White South African Apartheid government. OF the bombing Mandela took part in, most of them were intended to cause mayhem and structural damage, not kill civilians.

Regardless, the reason Mandela is considered a hero, much like Malcolm X, was his evolution inside prison, from a violent freedom fighter, to an intellectual leader, ready to extend his hand in forgiveness and progress, rather then drawback a fist in hatred.

For instance, Mandela was far less a terrorist then anyone in the US/European governments, who instigate macro-terror on the world stage, compared to Mandela, who was essentially a freedom fighter.

The economic struggles of South Africa are irrelevant. What's more important, freedom/equality, or money?

Freedom apparently. But he was forgiven for these acts of treason. Its no different than when the US under the so called regime sends troops overseas to die for oil and other resources. Mandela was praised for what he did for his country more than he was jeered. And the reaction you see from people now debunks any extreme views about this mans legacy.
Tzaslos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 12:29:08 AM
Despite his past actions of terrorism, Nelson Mandela is considered a hero since he not only freed a single racial group from oppression by another, but also the freedom of individuals in all racial groups. What he did before he became president of South Africa was terrorism, I agree, but I also agree with Inferno, stating that it stemmed out of the necessity against the the Apartheid Regime. One cannot enter a passive protest if the opposition you are challenging does not want to be passive and uses force to implement a corrupt and unfair system upon you.

You asked which is better, freedom or money... I say to you both. One cannot truly live free if one cannot afford the basic necessities and services. One cannot be free if you are ruled by wealth. For freedom to succeed, people need opportunities that can be sustained economically wise, otherwise, crime and corruption will rear it's head. I also wish to remind Wallstreetatheist that the topic was what our thoughts were on Nelson Mandela, not the statistics of South Africa, nor the economic stance the current government wants to implement/has implemented. I'm sure if he/she/they/it pulled any other country's statistics that he/she/they/it will see that there isn't much difference between South Africa and another, however that is not the topic being discussed.

My feelings about this man is mixed. I have respect for what he has achieved. I also know that the choices he made, weighed heavily in his heart and that he never meant to harm any civilians. I also have to say I cannot but help admire a man who only wanted to unify a nation, despite his actions. I do however feel, that their way of opposing the Apartheid Regime was flawed and unjust (in the killing of innocence), but every great leader in history, had to make hard and sometimes, incriminating choices to advance his/her/their nation, or to free them of tyranny.

However, if this was Robert Mugabe, who fought to free his people from oppression and then violate their human rights, this would have been a totally different matter of discussion. I urge you to therefore not see this man as a terrorist, but as a liberator, for a terrorist is what Mugabe is, and always will be. Perhaps you should turn your attention to countries like Zimbabwe, who truly need your political support, over a country mourning the loss of a leader, which fought for freedom, not only for his people, but for the entire South African country.