Jump to topic:

The New Superpowers

Republican95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 6:54:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
What will the worlds most powerful nations in 20 years? I have compiled a list of the top ten. Share your ideas, endorse or critcize my list.

**1. The United States**
We account for close to 50% of the world's total defense budget. Our economic plight is strong. We have thousands of nuke and veto power on the UNSC. I don't see that much changing by 2030.

**2. China**
China: Superpower Rising. Their economic power will grow tremendoulsy during the next couple of decades. The Yuan will probably incease by close to 500% in value by then; while the Euro, Dollar, Rubel, etc. fall by at least 25%. Lots of countries are indebted to China. If they expand their military, develop more nuclear weapons, and continue to acquire wealth at such an alarming rate; they will be a major player on the world stage by 2030. China in 2030=Best Place in the World to Do Business

**3. Russia**
While their economy is weak, their military might is still impressive. By 2030, there economy will be in shambles, but their thousands of nukes and impressive military will preserve them a seat amongst the major world players.

** 4. The United Kingdom**
Their close ties the US ensure their preservation as a world force. ]

**5. Iran**
If they develop at least 500 nuclear weapons, expect Iran to become a major player on the world stage. Iran will likley, by 2030, be democratized, but will still be "not on the best terms" with much of the west.

**6. India**
India's uprsing will likley resemble that of China's. Even though their economic muscle will be no where as strong as their neighbors to the north, they will enjoy closer ties to the West.

**7. France**
France is in a similar situation as it is now. They might lose their veto vote on the UNSC to Brazil or India (if reform passes), but overall their ties with the UK and US will help them, but they will enjoy a more posistive view around the world.

**8. Brazil**
Their size and natural resources will make them a economic powerhouse.

** 9. South Africa**
Africa is in need of a "leader", South Africa will likley enjoy this role. I suspect they will try to acquire nuclear weapons and economic wealth.

**10. Japan**
Even though China now overshawdows them in economics and military, Japan is still a world player due to its good relations with the West.

Thoughts?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 7:25:25 PM
At 1/7/2010 6:54:45 PM, Republican95 wrote:
**1. The United States**
We account for close to 50% of the world's total defense budget. Our economic plight is strong. We have thousands of nuke and veto power on the UNSC. I don't see that much changing by 2030.

US is militarily, economically, and politically the strongest player, and will continue to be, probably past 2030. But who cares about the Security Council veto? By all accounts, the UN is about as useful as throwing a pebble at a tank.

**2. China**
China: Superpower Rising. Their economic power will grow tremendoulsy during the next couple of decades. The Yuan will probably incease by close to 500% in value by then; while the Euro, Dollar, Rubel, etc. fall by at least 25%. Lots of countries are indebted to China. If they expand their military, develop more nuclear weapons, and continue to acquire wealth at such an alarming rate; they will be a major player on the world stage by 2030. China in 2030=Best Place in the World to Do Business

More or less correct, except for the "Best Place in the World to Do Business," part. China is more interested in spreading its influence and commercial interests abroad, and less interested in having foreign interests invade China.

**3. Russia**
While their economy is weak, their military might is still impressive. By 2030, there economy will be in shambles, but their thousands of nukes and impressive military will preserve them a seat amongst the major world players.

Russia's economy is far from weak - just vulnerable to energy sector demands and prices. People like to act like Russia is a large threat, and they generally are, but there is way too many domestic issues within Russia's own sphere, that isn't much of an "active" threat. Don't wake the Bear, and you'll be OK.

** 4. The United Kingdom**
Their close ties the US ensure their preservation as a world force. ]

The UK is up there in terms of economic, political and military might, but they're essentially subservient to the United States. It might preserve them as "a force," but its a pretty emasculated force.

**5. Iran**
If they develop at least 500 nuclear weapons, expect Iran to become a major player on the world stage. Iran will likley, by 2030, be democratized, but will still be "not on the best terms" with much of the west.

The second Iran gets even one nuclear weapon is the second they probably lose it. Getting 500? No one, not Russia, China, or anyone else, will let them get that many.

**6. India**
India's uprsing will likley resemble that of China's. Even though their economic muscle will be no where as strong as their neighbors to the north, they will enjoy closer ties to the West.

Meh, more or less.

**7. France**
France is in a similar situation as it is now. They might lose their veto vote on the UNSC to Brazil or India (if reform passes), but overall their ties with the UK and US will help them, but they will enjoy a more posistive view around the world.

France won't lose a veto, they're a major world player. Heck, they essentially control half the EU.

**8. Brazil**
Their size and natural resources will make them a economic powerhouse.

Maybe. Brazil is already an economic powerhouse by Latin American standards, yet I see clouds on the horizon for them. As Brazil starts to try and assert itself as the regional power in Latin America, they're going to brush up against some mighty big foes, and I simply don't know if there is enough will in Brazil to take it to the next step when the going gets tough.

** 9. South Africa**
Africa is in need of a "leader", South Africa will likley enjoy this role. I suspect they will try to acquire nuclear weapons and economic wealth.

South Africa already had nuclear weapons. They lost them awhile ago. As well, South Africa is a dangerous place to hedge any bets. Economically, SA is brilliant, but politically...

**10. Japan**
Even though China now overshawdows them in economics and military, Japan is still a world player due to its good relations with the West.

True.

Thoughts?

Well thought out. Good job.
banker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 4:19:45 AM
If anyone will try to take iranians nuclears china will defend it..!
China is not able to function without iranian oil,and we need to get used to a china with a military with our stolen thechnolagy..!

Russia will certainly back iran as well..!

Also don't forget china has now f16 fighter jets and their own setelitte etc.
The only losers will be the iranian people,and the regional countries who should have to deal with it themselves..!
the most important source for muslim Arabs:

"And thereafter We [Allah] said to the Children of Israel: 'Dwell securely in the Promised Land. And when the last warning will come to pass, we will gather you together in a mingled crowd'.".

- Qur'an 17:104 -

Any sincere muslim must recognize the Land they call "Palestine" as the Jewish Homeland, according to the book considered by muslims to be the most sacred word and Allah's ultimate revelation.

Ibn Khaldun, one of the most creditable
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 7:38:23 AM
At 1/8/2010 4:19:45 AM, banker wrote:
If anyone will try to take iranians nuclears china will defend it..!
China is not able to function without iranian oil,and we need to get used to a china with a military with our stolen thechnolagy..!

Russia will certainly back iran as well..!

Also don't forget china has now f16 fighter jets and their own setelitte etc.
The only losers will be the iranian people,and the regional countries who should have to deal with it themselves..!

This is false, banker. China isn't dependent on Iranian oil - they're dependent mostly on Saudi Arabian oil, but even that is changing, since China is starting to heavily diversify their oil sources. And there is no reason for Russia to back Iran once they get nuclear weaponry, since it wouldn't be in their interests.

And who cares if China has F-16s? What does that change? Oh noes, China has old jets?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 8:34:31 AM
I think you can mush France and the Uk into the EU. The EU will probably be the "third player" par se in the China - America conflict.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:14:51 AM
At 1/7/2010 6:54:45 PM, Republican95 wrote:
What will the worlds most powerful nations in 20 years? I have compiled a list of the top ten. Share your ideas, endorse or critcize my list.

You place too much emphasis on nuclear weapons, and 'ties with the west'. My top five would be,

China
US
The European Union/Federal States of Europe
India,
Maybe Brazil?

PS: South Africa had nukes and disarmed.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:19:24 AM
At 1/8/2010 9:14:51 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
European Union/Federal States of Europe

What the Hell are the "Federal States of Europe"?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:21:25 AM
At 1/8/2010 9:19:24 AM, Volkov wrote:

I guess he's going to the future.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:25:27 AM
At 1/8/2010 9:21:25 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Thats a pretty unlikely future.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:30:29 AM
At 1/8/2010 9:25:27 AM, Volkov wrote:

In 50 years BENELUX turned into the EU. Don't be surprised.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:31:30 AM
At 1/8/2010 9:30:29 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Yet in that 50 years, Belgium is still close to collapsing in on itself. I'll reserve my speculation for now. xD
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:33:19 AM
At 1/8/2010 9:31:30 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 1/8/2010 9:30:29 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Yet in that 50 years, Belgium is still close to collapsing in on itself. I'll reserve my speculation for now. xD

And as these countries prepare to collapse, a more centralised power saves them.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:34:07 AM

I think it is pretty obvious given the original post, the preceding words and the actual words themselves.

The Federal States of Europe could be a violin quartet in 1912, in the Dominion of South Africa... but that does not seem to be the most logical interpretation.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:36:38 AM
At 1/8/2010 9:33:19 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
And as these countries prepare to collapse, a more centralised power saves them.

Centralization isn't going to be Europe's friend. Its Balkanization - they aren't going to go back into a centralize authority unless forced.

Cerebral Narcissist said:
I think it is pretty obvious given the original post, the preceding words and the actual words themselves.

Would you like to expand upon that idea, then?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:36:46 AM

Not to Europeans who may be a little more informed.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:38:43 AM
At 1/8/2010 9:36:46 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Oh, you mean those cosmopolitan Europeans who tend to wash over regional differences like they didn't exist?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:39:30 AM
At 1/8/2010 9:36:38 AM, Volkov wrote:

Centralization isn't going to be Europe's friend. Its Balkanization - they aren't going to go back into a centralize authority unless forced.

And if they need cash, with this centralised authority offers, they're more-less forced.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:47:26 AM
At 1/8/2010 9:39:30 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
And if they need cash, with this centralised authority offers, they're more-less forced.

Well, when Montenegro forms back into Serbia, then this assertion can be proven.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:48:38 AM
At 1/8/2010 9:36:38 AM, Volkov wrote:

Cerebral Narcissist said:

Would you like to expand upon that idea, then?

The European 'movement' is not static nor cast in stone, it is part of a constant ongoing process of integration. The intention is to create a single super-state, I can't tell you what it will be called... chances are it will retain the name 'The European Union' but calling this future state the 'Federal States of Europe' everyone knows what I am talking about don't they?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:49:30 AM
At 1/8/2010 9:38:43 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 1/8/2010 9:36:46 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Oh, you mean those cosmopolitan Europeans who tend to wash over regional differences like they didn't exist?

Strawman alert, strawman alert!
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:51:38 AM
At 1/8/2010 9:48:38 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
The European 'movement' is not static nor cast in stone, it is part of a constant ongoing process of integration. The intention is to create a single super-state, I can't tell you what it will be called... chances are it will retain the name 'The European Union' but calling this future state the 'Federal States of Europe' everyone knows what I am talking about don't they?

Who claims the intent is to create a super-state? I haven't seen this speech yet.

And even so, how viable does anything actually believe such a state would be? The European Union has enough issues by itself coming to any sort of meaningful consensus - what chance would a federal state have?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:52:49 AM
At 1/8/2010 9:47:26 AM, Volkov wrote:

Well, when Montenegro forms back into Serbia, then this assertion can be proven.

Europe Union- Money
Belgium - Bankrupt

Belgium needs the money. Europe will offer it so long as Belgium gives over some central authority.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:53:13 AM
At 1/8/2010 9:49:30 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

And your comment about "Europeans who may be a little more informed" doesn't constitute a strawman itself? Lol.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:55:35 AM
At 1/8/2010 9:52:49 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 1/8/2010 9:47:26 AM, Volkov wrote:

Europe Union- Money
Belgium - Bankrupt

Belgium needs the money. Europe will offer it so long as Belgium gives over some central authority.

I don't think thats how it works in reality. The EU would offer money to whomever wants it, be it Flemish or Walloon, central authority or not. This is why you don't see the Czechs and Slovaks being forced back together.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 9:57:52 AM
At 1/8/2010 9:51:38 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 1/8/2010 9:48:38 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Who claims the intent is to create a super-state? I haven't seen this speech yet.

And even so, how viable does anything actually believe such a state would be? The European Union has enough issues by itself coming to any sort of meaningful consensus - what chance would a federal state have?

Well it would have a GDP higher than the US and it is able to cooperate enough to create European wide laws, military projects and to begin to speak in practical terms of a common foreign policy and joint military.

A super-state is the goal, it may not be stated openly every five minutes but it is hardly a closely guarded secret.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 10:00:17 AM
At 1/8/2010 9:53:13 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 1/8/2010 9:49:30 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

And your comment about "Europeans who may be a little more informed" doesn't constitute a strawman itself? Lol.

Only if you redefine what the term means.
Your strawman was you took my observation that Europe was moving towards a super-state and you took it to mean that the Europeans were able to form a common national identity just like that. The two are not the same.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 10:01:33 AM
At 1/8/2010 9:57:52 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Well it would have a GDP higher than the US and it is able to cooperate enough to create European wide laws, military projects and to begin to speak in practical terms of a common foreign policy and joint military.

Yet, everyone knows that none of it is binding. Having the structure without having the force makes it essentially an emasculated version of the US or Canada, or a beefed-up version of the UN. Not really a federated state.

A super-state is the goal, it may not be stated openly every five minutes but it is hardly a closely guarded secret.

Ahuh.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 10:02:47 AM
At 1/8/2010 10:00:17 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Only if you redefine what the term means.
Your strawman was you took my observation that Europe was moving towards a super-state and you took it to mean that the Europeans were able to form a common national identity just like that. The two are not the same.

Actually, they are. The goal of creating a European super-state is exactly that - the attempt to create a united European front, or identity. That is kind of the point.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 10:07:47 AM
At 1/8/2010 10:01:33 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 1/8/2010 9:57:52 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Yet, everyone knows that none of it is binding. Having the structure without having the force makes it essentially an emasculated version of the US or Canada, or a beefed-up version of the UN. Not really a federated state.

Oh, everyone 'knows' that do they. Just wait and see what happens when someone tries to secede.