Jump to topic:

College Lessons that are False

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2013 9:00:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Stop with the libertarian crap before it sucks you in too far. You're the one who got me into the stuff, and I know its poison all too.

The last one is so nonsensical I have a hard time believing that article isn't some parody of libertarianism.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 4:55:47 AM
Interesting. Tell me more about how you agree with the last point, " Communist governments did not follow Karl Marx's ideas."
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 9:09:40 AM
1. Fictional story, true background. As governmental investigators discovered.

2. The argument is that there is more variation between sexes than across sexes. Which is completely true.

3. And actual historians recognize this.

4. "A bunch of troops in another country" is not foreign aid by any stretch of the imagination.

5. He liked some aspects of their philosophy... not the bloodbath part.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 10:01:17 AM
At 12/15/2013 9:09:40 AM, Citrakayah wrote:

2. The argument is that there is more variation between sexes than across sexes. Which is completely true.

Some people go further than that. I know some people who literally think the differences between males and females are only a social construct.

Many historians blame his 'fiscal conservative' policies for causing and/or catalyzing the great depression, so are they not actual historians?

4. "A bunch of troops in another country" is not foreign aid by any stretch of the imagination.

If it's done to supplement militaries who would otherwise be expanded and financed by their home country -as is the case with Germany and Japan - then it's hard to see how this doesn't qualify as financial aid. And if a country wouldn't fill the hole with expenditures of their own, but accepts the assistance, then obviously they deem it to be better than the alternative, and it still qualifies as foreign aid of some sort.

He wouldn't have objected to violence if it were a means of achieving his ideals. Since his philosophy was an insurmountable fantasy, he, in effect, endorsed a perceptual uprising that would incorporate such bloodbaths -- and in practice, has.
Brain_crazy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 11:54:43 AM
Interesting article. My macroeconomics professor definitely taught it like #3. She did however, acknowledge that Hoover tried to stimulate the economy near the end of his term. Either way the stats do show a steady increase in spending through Hoover's administration, reaching about double the amount it was before he took office. Also many of the tycoons of the time spent their fortunes into the stock market to try and keep it afloat.

#2 is probably not true, but is up for some debate. I've taken a lot of psychology courses and I don't think you will hear too many psychologists arguing that their are no average anatomical or behavioral differences between men and women. (The origin of those differences can't be known with certainty tho)
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 12:28:08 PM
At 12/15/2013 11:54:43 AM, Brain_crazy wrote:
Interesting article. My macroeconomics professor definitely taught it like #3. She did however, acknowledge that Hoover tried to stimulate the economy near the end of his term. Either way the stats do show a steady increase in spending through Hoover's administration, reaching about double the amount it was before he took office. Also many of the tycoons of the time spent their fortunes into the stock market to try and keep it afloat.

#2 is probably not true, but is up for some debate. I've taken a lot of psychology courses and I don't think you will hear too many psychologists arguing that their are no average anatomical or behavioral differences between men and women. (The origin of those differences can't be known with certainty tho)

Mens' and women's brain sizes differ from each other, and certain areas in womens' brains are larger than the corresponding areas in mens' brains and vice versa. The genders also differ in hormone levels and various other indicators. I think we can be pretty sure that's not a result of cultural influence. The difference is indisputably genetic to some degree. It's not as if this should be surprising to anyone.
Brain_crazy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 1:12:59 PM
At 12/15/2013 12:28:08 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Mens' and women's brain sizes differ from each other, and certain areas in womens' brains are larger than the corresponding areas in mens' brains and vice versa. The genders also differ in hormone levels and various other indicators. I think we can be pretty sure that's not a result of cultural influence. The difference is indisputably genetic to some degree. It's not as if this should be surprising to anyone.

K, I agree. What we don't know for certain tho is to what degree those differences relate to specific behavioral differcenes. We have some good ideas, but don't have it all figured out.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 1:21:44 PM
At 12/15/2013 1:12:59 PM, Brain_crazy wrote:

K, I agree. What we don't know for certain tho is to what degree those differences relate to specific behavioral differcenes. We have some good ideas, but don't have it all figured out.

This is true, however, there is no room for debate surrounding the question "are the brains of men and women identical', as you suggested.
Brain_crazy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 1:23:45 PM
At 12/15/2013 1:21:44 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 12/15/2013 1:12:59 PM, Brain_crazy wrote:

This is true, however, there is no room for debate surrounding the question "are the brains of men and women identical', as you suggested.

Alright
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 4:33:22 PM
At 12/15/2013 10:01:17 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 12/15/2013 9:09:40 AM, Citrakayah wrote:

Some people go further than that. I know some people who literally think the differences between males and females are only a social construct.

Well, that's understandable. Neuroplasticity does mean that even if they are, though, that might eventually result in different brains.

Many historians blame his 'fiscal conservative' policies for causing and/or catalyzing the great depression, so are they not actual historians?

And he undoubtedly started out fiscially conservative. The question here is over whether he ended his term as a fiscal conservative. He did not. Moreover, there is a difference between saying, "He was more fiscally liberal than his predecessors" and saying "He was fiscally liberal." The first is true, the latter is false.

If it's done to supplement militaries who would otherwise be expanded and financed by their home country -as is the case with Germany and Japan - then it's hard to see how this doesn't qualify as financial aid. And if a country wouldn't fill the hole with expenditures of their own, but accepts the assistance, then obviously they deem it to be better than the alternative, and it still qualifies as foreign aid of some sort.

Treaties to put troops in place to defend an ally or make sure that someone doesn't militarize are not foreign aid.

He wouldn't have objected to violence if it were a means of achieving his ideals. Since his philosophy was an insurmountable fantasy, he, in effect, endorsed a perceptual uprising that would incorporate such bloodbaths -- and in practice, has.

1. Difference between using violence to achieve your ends to a limited degree (governmental revolution) and constant bloodbath.
2. That would be your opinion. Which is hardly affirmed to be the case universally. I would say it is difficult, especially on a large scale, but not impossible.