Jump to topic:

A party we can get behind

Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2010 12:28:14 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
By May 22, a Demoskop poll showed a 7.9% support amongst Swedish voters, making the Pirate Party the third largest party.[32] A week later this had grown to 8.2% and a projected two seats in Parliament, with 21.8% support amongst people aged 18â€"29.[33] The party's top two candidates are Christian Engström and Amelia Andersdotter.

A model-based prediction for the 2009 European Parliament election by political scientists estimated June 4, 2009 that the Pirate Party could be the third largest party from Sweden, gaining 2 seats.[34]

The Pirate Party got enough votes for at least one seat of the 18 available seats Sweden has at the European Parliament,[35] getting 7.1 % of the Swedish votes.[36] As the Treaty of Lisbon has been ratified a second seat will be given to Amelia Andersdotter on December 1, 2009. The Pirate Party will join the European Greens-European Free Alliance group.[37]
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2010 12:30:22 AM
The Pirate Parties are admirable for what they're doing, but it seems to be wasted effort. They aren't going to win large electoral victories in any place that doesn't have proportional representation. Their impact will be, and already is, even in their Mecca of Sweden, minimal, and it'll be a giant exercise in protest votes that won't ring an iota with the larger parties and larger population.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2010 12:42:43 AM
My projection is that eventually piracy will be legal.

Think about it what has been the trend technologically?

1. Larger Harddrives (I bought a 2 TB station for $120)

2. Faster Internet Speeds (had dialup now have 3mbps)

3. Cheaper Rentals (thus cheaper ripping) - Redbox via example and NetFlix

With this development and private torrent sites, seedboxes, etc. becoming more prevalent. My prediction is that in 50 years we will either have a police state (1984 style all internets activity is monitored) or piracy will be legalized.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2010 12:50:15 AM
I don't know about that. I think it'll become a lot less of an issue, because I see more of the entertainment industry moving towards embracing the technology that is involved with piracy, thereby sort of expanding and taking control of it, without ever legalizing it. That would be the smart thing to do.

However, people aren't always smart, and if they do continue to wage this crusade against piracy, I see a lot of backlash coming their way.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 2:11:24 PM
Piracy will likely remain illegal due to corporate lobbying. Status quo and corporate companies are an unstoppable combination.

I believe that the end of this system will be the competition from free-ware competition which will force copyright-dependent firms out of business. Then, and only then, will it be politically plausible for groups like the Pirate Party to overcome.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 2:17:22 PM
At 1/11/2010 2:11:24 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I believe that the end of this system will be the competition from free-ware competition which will force copyright-dependent firms out of business. Then, and only then, will it be politically plausible for groups like the Pirate Party to overcome.

You're looking at that from a software side only.

Must piracy = Movies + PC Games + Music
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 2:19:22 PM
At 1/11/2010 2:17:22 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:

Those have free-level competitors as well. There is free music, free games and free movies.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 2:23:49 PM
At 1/11/2010 2:19:22 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Those have free-level competitors as well. There is free music, free games and free movies.

None of which are ever likely at beating a paid-for equivalent.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 4:05:23 PM
At 1/11/2010 2:23:49 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:
At 1/11/2010 2:19:22 PM, wjmelements wrote:

None of which are ever likely at beating a paid-for equivalent.

Why? Demonstrated preference of the results. You just made a pretty solid argument against piracy :)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 5:01:24 PM
At 1/11/2010 4:58:45 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Are there not more pressing matters in the world? World hunger, wars, genocide, discrimination...?

Not until I can get Snow Patrols cover of Crazy in Love for free, no.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 6:17:07 PM
At 1/11/2010 4:58:45 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Are there not more pressing matters in the world? World hunger, wars, genocide, discrimination...?

lol

Word Hunger - I'm fat
Wars - I make loves not wars
Genocide - I'm not dying
Discrimination - Positive discrimination, it exists.

So IMO no there isn't.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 6:18:34 PM
At 1/11/2010 4:05:23 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Why? Demonstrated preference of the results. You just made a pretty solid argument against piracy :)

LOL I get the humor, but you know what I meant.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 10:44:19 PM
I lol at the Canadian Pirate Party - they seem like rebellious social liberals.

http://www.pirateparty.ca...

They want less government interference on private net use - yet they are willing to fiddle with the commercial aspects in order to ensure net neutrality and give grants to "educating" artists for cultural purposes.