Jump to topic:

A&E: Duck Dynasty Being Straight is Crime

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 2:00:21 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
A&E has officially declared that being straight is now a crime. Alex Jones projected this 6 months ago that being straight is criminal and now A&E decided to prove him right.

Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty said that he personally prefers female parts over men, but that he loves homosexuals, wants to give them the good news of Jesus Christ, and never judge people.

Apparently saying that you personally prefer females over men is not only politically incorrect, it is now criminal. We just seen last week a 6 year old boy get suspended and charged with sexual harassment for kissing a girls hand who was fine with it. Another example of straight activity being criminalized and shunned.

https://www.youtube.com...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 2:02:13 AM
Phil Robertson: "It seems like, to me, a vagina " as a man " would be more desirable than a man"s anus," he said. "That"s just me. I"m just thinking: There"s more there! She"s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I"m saying?

We never, ever judge someone on who"s going to heaven, hell. That"s the Almighty"s job. We just love "em, give "em the good news about Jesus"whether they"re homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort "em out later, you see what I"m saying?

I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

http://www.gq.com...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 2:12:29 AM
At 12/19/2013 2:08:28 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Where was the part about it being illegal?

The word "criminal" doesn't always necessarily mean a technical violation of law on the books.

Criminal
1. Of, involving, or having the nature of crime: criminal abuse.
2. Relating to the administration of penal law.
3. a. Guilty of crime.
b. Characteristic of a criminal.
4. Shameful; disgraceful: a criminal waste of talent.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 2:12:34 AM
At 12/19/2013 2:09:44 AM, 1Percenter wrote:
Now doesn't A&E have a right to free speech to decide how to run their own shows and what opinions are broadcast?

This is Geo, don't even waste your time.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 2:13:43 AM
At 12/19/2013 2:12:29 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 12/19/2013 2:08:28 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Where was the part about it being illegal?

The word "criminal" doesn't always necessarily mean a technical violation of law on the books.

Criminal
1. Of, involving, or having the nature of crime: criminal abuse.
2. Relating to the administration of penal law.
3. a. Guilty of crime.
b. Characteristic of a criminal.
4. Shameful; disgraceful: a criminal waste of talent.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

You're a criminal.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 2:18:07 AM
Now doesn't A&E have a right to free speech to decide how to run their own shows and what opinions are broadcast?

Who said they didn't? Do I not have the right to criticize A&E's decision even if what they did was permissible under the 1st Amendment?

The issue is that yes, technically networks have the right to run their channel and shows however they want, however, this culture of firing people over speech and leaked pics of their personal lives or beliefs is out of hand.

Even Sean Hannity said he didn't want to see Martin Bashir or anyone else get fired for saying he wanted to defecate and urinate on Sarah Palins face because then journalists and personalities in the media have to feel like a muzzle and this censorship PC police word fascists are destroying the spirit of the 1st Amendment. Yes, obviously it's only a restriction on governments ability to persecute based on speech and not private entities, but still tyranny doesn't always necessarily come from government and the 1st Amendment extends beyond legal nuances.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 2:20:25 AM
At 12/19/2013 2:18:07 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Who said they didn't? Do I not have the right to criticize A&E's decision even if what they did was permissible under the 1st Amendment?

The issue is that yes, technically networks have the right to run their channel and shows however they want, however, this culture of firing people over speech and leaked pics of their personal lives or beliefs is out of hand.

Even Sean Hannity said he didn't want to see Martin Bashir or anyone else get fired for saying he wanted to defecate and urinate on Sarah Palins face because then journalists and personalities in the media have to feel like a muzzle and this censorship PC police word fascists are destroying the spirit of the 1st Amendment. Yes, obviously it's only a restriction on governments ability to persecute based on speech and not private entities, but still tyranny doesn't always necessarily come from government and the 1st Amendment extends beyond legal nuances.

No, the 1st amendment only extends to the government. Not one speck beyond that.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 2:23:05 AM
At 12/19/2013 2:20:25 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Yes, obviously it's only a restriction on governments ability to persecute based on speech and not private entities, but still tyranny doesn't always necessarily come from government and the 1st Amendment extends beyond legal nuances.

No, the 1st amendment only extends to the government. Not one speck beyond that.

Uh yeah, I just said that. You are correct, legally speaking. But the essence of the 1st Amendment and the spirit of debate should not be stifled and private businesses can and do engage in such despicable behavior.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 2:26:06 AM

This was inevitable since they let Phil Robertson say all those hateful things about yuppies with no one objecting.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 2:27:13 AM
At 12/19/2013 2:23:05 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 12/19/2013 2:20:25 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Yes, obviously it's only a restriction on governments ability to persecute based on speech and not private entities, but still tyranny doesn't always necessarily come from government and the 1st Amendment extends beyond legal nuances.

Uh yeah, I just said that. You are correct, legally speaking. But the essence of the 1st Amendment and the spirit of debate should not be stifled and private businesses can and do engage in such despicable behavior.

The spirit of debate can and should be stiffed on private property to respect the rights of the owners. If you even have a shred of respect for negative rights, you have to agree to this. Well, you don't have to agree to anything, the site already has little credence to your posts.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 2:33:18 AM
At 12/19/2013 2:27:13 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
The spirit of debate can and should be stiffed on private property to respect the rights of the owners. If you even have a shred of respect for negative rights, you have to agree to this. Well, you don't have to agree to anything, the site already has little credence to your posts.

According to you, Debate.org debaters are an example of disrespect to Juggle. CNN's Crossfire guests are an example of disrespect to Ted Turner.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 2:38:51 AM
At 12/19/2013 2:33:18 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 12/19/2013 2:27:13 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

According to you, Debate.org debaters are an example of disrespect to Juggle. CNN's Crossfire guests are an example of disrespect to Ted Turner.

At the whim of the owner. That shouldn't need to be specified, but if you need it, then there it is.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 2:44:50 AM
At 12/19/2013 2:38:51 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/19/2013 2:33:18 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

At the whim of the owner. That shouldn't need to be specified, but if you need it, then there it is.

I don't see how an employer with hundreds of employees should expect all of its workers to hold and express the same agreeable views as the owner. Many networks always display the disclaimer that the contents of this program do not necessarily reflect the views of the network. That happens all the time. Murdoch/Roger Ailes of Fox News invite Liberals and Democratic strategists all the time on it's programs and even gives them permanent air time.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 2:46:40 AM
A&E should be free to choose their clientele as they see fit.

The same rule should apply to people who bake wedding cakes.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 2:49:52 AM
At 12/19/2013 2:46:40 AM, 1Percenter wrote:

Are you seriously going to make me repeat myself? I never said the government should arrest A&E. Show me where I said that.

Why can't I criticize a company's poor business decision and idiotic reasoning? That's the free market. You don't just praise all businesses, you also criticize the bad ones.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 3:05:20 AM
At 12/19/2013 2:49:52 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 12/19/2013 2:46:40 AM, 1Percenter wrote:

Are you seriously going to make me repeat myself? I never said the government should arrest A&E. Show me where I said that.

I never implied any of that...
Why can't I criticize a company's poor business decision and idiotic reasoning? That's the free market. You don't just praise all businesses, you also criticize the bad ones.

My point was that A&E has a right to choose who their own clientele what views are associated and broadcast from their company.

But when a wedding photographer or bakery refuses to participate in a homosexual wedding, it's a guaranteed lawsuit. Some have even risked going to jail for it. Why don't they have the same right as A&E does?

The double-standard is pretty clear. It's another example of liberal hypocrisy.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 6:25:31 AM
You just completely misrepresented what Phil Robertson said. Here are the controversial things that he said that helped get him banned from the show:

"I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I"m with the blacks, because we"re white trash. We"re going across the field.... They"re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, "I tell you what: These doggone white people""not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

"Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men," he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: "Don"t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers"they won"t inherit the kingdom of God. Don"t deceive yourself. It"s not right."

He also muses rather colorfully about his own sexual orientation: "It seems like, to me, a vagina"as a man"would be more desirable than a man"s anus. That"s just me. I"m just thinking: There"s more there! She"s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I"m saying? But hey, sin: It"s not logical, my man. It"s just not logical."

He wasn't fired "for being straight."
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 6:26:15 AM
That being said, I'm not entirely sure what sort of response they were expecting to get out of a self-described "Bible-thumper."
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
AngstChrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 7:54:40 AM
Its a sad day when speaking your mind costs you your job. Its an even sadder day when the loss of a job or suspension is motivated out of fear of offending certain groups or their feelings.

I don't agree with what most of this man said. And I understand its the network's prerogative to act in its best financial interests; that doesn't make it right that in this climate, a free expression of ideas is something that ought to be punished.

You are free to tune out if you're offended. My message to the LGBT community as well as the NAACP - grow a thicker skin. The first amendment is a contact sport.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 10:53:16 AM
At 12/19/2013 7:54:40 AM, AngstChrist wrote:
Its a sad day when speaking your mind costs you your job. Its an even sadder day when the loss of a job or suspension is motivated out of fear of offending certain groups or their feelings.

Agreed. Take me back to the good ol days when racism and anti-semitism could be topics of casual conversation between you and yer waiter.

I don't agree with what most of this man said. And I understand its the network's prerogative to act in its best financial interests; that doesn't make it right that in this climate, a free expression of ideas is something that ought to be punished.

You are free to tune out if you're offended. My message to the LGBT community as well as the NAACP - grow a thicker skin. The first amendment is a contact sport.

No one went against the first amendment hurr durr.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
AngstChrist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 11:01:21 AM
Please - by controlling the bully pulpit the way these groups do, they make it as if anything that disagrees with their platforms ought to cost someone a job or a hefty sum to pay for "psychological" damage. If you can't see how this action is a threat to the first amendment, then you're the one with the problem.

At 12/19/2013 10:53:16 AM, Noumena wrote:

Agreed. Take me back to the good ol days when racism and anti-semitism could be topics of casual conversation between you and yer waiter.

Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 11:03:14 AM
At 12/19/2013 11:01:21 AM, AngstChrist wrote:
Please - by controlling the bully pulpit the way these groups do, they make it as if anything that disagrees with their platforms ought to cost someone a job or a hefty sum to pay for "psychological" damage. If you can't see how this action is a threat to the first amendment, then you're the one with the problem.

Show me how this goes against the first amendment.

: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 11:15:47 AM
At 12/19/2013 2:00:21 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
A&E has officially declared that being straight is now a crime. Alex Jones projected this 6 months ago that being straight is criminal and now A&E decided to prove him right.

Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty said that he personally prefers female parts over men, but that he loves homosexuals, wants to give them the good news of Jesus Christ, and never judge people.

Apparently saying that you personally prefer females over men is not only politically incorrect, it is now criminal. We just seen last week a 6 year old boy get suspended and charged with sexual harassment for kissing a girls hand who was fine with it. Another example of straight activity being criminalized and shunned.

I believe that our free speech is in serious jeopardy my friend. This is only the beginning.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 11:21:35 AM

Phil said he personally prefers female parts to men, he loves homosexuals, wants to give them the good news of Jesus Christ, and never judge anybody. Omg soo hateful!

Let's be clear, gay is not a person, it's a preference (born with it or not).

If said I personally prefer neopolitan ice cream over vanilla and gave reasons why as Phil did, that's not an assault on people who like vanilla ice. Should we have the vanilla ice cream groups up in arms and demand respect and equal rights? No. This is the collectivist mentality of lumping people into a group based on preference, identify with the group, and then get offended when someone prefers what your group doesn't. It's anti-individualism mob-mentality.

The gay movement will contest that he compared homosexuality to beastiality but that is false. He listed a bunch of things among which it was one but he also listed drunks. As a person who loves alcohol and drinks it all the time, should I feel outraged that he called my beer preference a sin and compared it to beastiality? No.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 11:26:36 AM

A&E should do as it wishes with their private firm. But Phil has the right to say whatever he wants to say.

Oh boo hoo, Phil Robertson has been expelled from the Church of Political Correctness. He offended some people, oh well they need to learn to get over themselves. If these people are so offended about everything maybe they should of never left the womb in the first place. What is next people are fired for disliking someone else?
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 11:53:21 AM
At 12/19/2013 11:21:35 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Phil said he personally prefers female parts to men, he loves homosexuals, wants to give them the good news of Jesus Christ, and never judge anybody. Omg soo hateful!

See Bobert's post. He said more than that.

Let's be clear, gay is not a person, it's a preference (born with it or not).

If said I personally prefer neopolitan ice cream over vanilla and gave reasons why as Phil did, that's not an assault on people who like vanilla ice. Should we have the vanilla ice cream groups up in arms and demand respect and equal rights? No. This is the collectivist mentality of lumping people into a group based on preference, identify with the group, and then get offended when someone prefers what your group doesn't. It's anti-individualism mob-mentality.

Hurr durr hyperbole. I for one would be annoyed if someone compared people who prefer vanilla to terrorists.

The gay movement will contest that he compared homosexuality to beastiality but that is false. He listed a bunch of things among which it was one but he also listed drunks. As a person who loves alcohol and drinks it all the time, should I feel outraged that he called my beer preference a sin and compared it to beastiality? No.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 12:23:25 PM
The sensational title of that forum headline is blatantly, fundamentally dishonest. Robertson was not at all fired for being straight, but for making controversial statements that could cause A&E money if bad publicity and boycotts ensued.

I think it's hilariously interesting that the same people who are so adamant about employer's rights and bottom line (profit) are the same ones who speak out in defense of worker's rights to free speech, LOL.

Robertson insists that homosexuality is a sin despite the ambiguity of Christian apologists, and likened it to activities that either directly harm others, or are considered grotesque by society. I support his first amendment right to speak his mind, but I know for damn sure that I would have never been able to keep any jobs where I openly talked about my "radical" political views. Welcome to working in America. Life is unfair. Boo hoo.
President of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 12:36:10 PM

lol, Geo... really?

A&E placed the Duck Dynasty dude on indefinite leave for his remarks which likened homosexuality to beastiality, and some other remarks that A&E found unpalatable. There was no mention of criminal activity. No charges were brought on the Duck Dynasty dude.

And the 6 year old was suspended for sexual harassment, and no more. No charges were brought against him either. I know you got both of those stories from Drudge Report, bud dammit, man, read the articles! Understand them!

That said, the thing about the Duck Dynasty thing makes me uncomfortable. You've got a show about white trash, acting like white trash -and somehow A&E get's uncomfortable because white trash acted like white trash? That's like getting angry at a chimp for throwing it's own sh!t -or getting upset with a conspiracy theorist because he thinks he sees figures in smoky mirrors.