Jump to topic:

Harry Reid is no different than....

kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 9:44:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
any other politician who has shared there true thoughts. Biden, Obama's V.P. had his moment to shine, and look how that turned out. I am not offended with his comments so much so as I am with the total disregard of the American population to keep skating around racial dialogue.

Apologies are alright, but how can you honestly ask for forgiveness for something that came from your inner thoughts? People would rather stereotype each others ethnicity's, rather than address the real problems that divide us.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 9:51:13 AM
Is this regarding the comments he made regarding the electability of Obama? There was nothing racist nor objectionable in them, he should not have apoligised.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Scott_Mann
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 11:46:13 AM
Harry Reid was actually trying to compliment Obama when he made that comment. It just came out totally wrong.

Better than having a campaign rally and calling a guy a macaca to a video camera...
The more posts you have, the less value they contain.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 11:51:29 AM
I think his comment was completely accurate in all respects.

The implications in his statement were pretty much the following.

1. White Americans will react more favorably to a lighter skinned Black American than a darker one.

Sadly this statement is true for a select amount of the White race. I don't think it reflected his personal views excepting on what he personally thought the situation currently is, which I agree and think that this statement is true to a degree as well.

2. Most Blacks have ridiculously crappy grammar and don't/can't use proper English when they speak which turns off anyone who uses proper English.

This statement is correct in all respects and is not racist but true.
Scott_Mann
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 11:56:44 AM
At 1/11/2010 11:51:29 AM, Frodobaggins wrote:
2. Most Blacks have ridiculously crappy grammar and don't/can't use proper English when they speak which turns off anyone who uses proper English.

I hope you didn't just say that... >_>
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 11:58:39 AM
Just out of curiosity (naturally, my motives aren't clear), if someone were to say most black people like fried chicken, would this claim be qualified as racist or stereotypical? Or does being stereotypical amount to being racist?
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 12:00:28 PM
Off topic, but: Whenever someone says "I'm not a racist, but . . ." or "Call me a racist all you want, but . . ." or "I have black friends, but . . .", does this indicate that whatever they are about to say is probably racist? :)
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 12:04:14 PM
At 1/11/2010 11:58:39 AM, Logical-Master wrote:
Just out of curiosity (naturally, my motives aren't clear), if someone were to say most black people like fried chicken, would this claim be qualified as racist or stereotypical? Or does being stereotypical amount to being racist?

Forgive me, but I also meant to add the option of "neither."
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 12:04:42 PM

Both.

Off topic, but: Whenever someone says "I'm not a racist, but . . ." or "Call me a racist all you want, but . . ." or "I have black friends, but . . .", does this indicate that whatever they are about to say is probably racist? :)

Yes, probably, or what they view as racist.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 12:08:05 PM
At 1/11/2010 12:04:14 PM, Logical-Master wrote:

Forgive me, but I also meant to add the option of "neither."

It would probably be more stereotypical, and usually not racist. However, I'd also add that stereotypes are usually true. Context is key though, such remarks are usually in satire.

At 1/11/2010 12:00:28 PM, Logical-Master wrote:

It can be racist, but it's usually just a poor argument that can be true. I'd never start off a statement as such.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 12:10:51 PM

I'm going to say accurate.

As most black people do like fried chicken.

Everyone likes fried chicken.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 12:12:51 PM
At 1/11/2010 11:56:44 AM, Scott_Mann wrote:

Do you have something factual to disprove that?

Culturally they are driven to speak improper english.

Otherwise groups like these wouldn't exist http://www.facebook.com...
Scott_Mann
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 12:23:00 PM
At 1/11/2010 12:12:51 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:

Why would skin color be a reason to not be able to speak proper English?
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 12:24:42 PM
At 1/11/2010 12:23:00 PM, Scott_Mann wrote:
I don't realize that other cultures other than one giant universal culture exists.

Oh well let me help you.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 12:43:40 PM
The whole idea of political correctness is not about whether something is true or not, it is about which true things are allowed to said and which are not allowed to be said, and also the exact way things are allowed to be said. Reid's remarks were true, but so politically incorrect that no Republican who had said them could have escaped overwhelming condemnation. Reid gets the leftist equivalent of papal dispensation.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 12:44:37 PM
At 1/11/2010 12:43:40 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
The whole idea of political correctness is not about whether something is true or not, it is about which true things are allowed to said and which are not allowed to be said, and also the exact way things are allowed to be said. Reid's remarks were true, but so politically incorrect that no Republican who had said them could have escaped overwhelming condemnation. Reid gets the leftist equivalent of papal dispensation.

10/10 on that logic
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 1:28:25 PM
At 1/11/2010 12:23:00 PM, Scott_Mann wrote:
At 1/11/2010 12:12:51 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:

Why would skin color be a reason to not be able to speak proper English?

Not directly. The skin color does not cause the inablity to speak proper English. The effect of skin color in society has placed most blacks at a lower IQ and ability to speak proper English.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 1:32:15 PM
At 1/11/2010 1:28:25 PM, mongoose wrote:
The effect of skin color in society has placed most blacks at a lower IQ and ability to speak proper English.

Incorrect. It's not an issue of intelligence, its an issue of culture. Blacks culturally identify with improper English. Most people, who speaksproper English, do not like that.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 1:33:26 PM
At 1/11/2010 1:32:15 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:
Most people, who speaksproper English, do not like that.

Are you black? :P
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 1:49:29 PM
At 1/11/2010 9:51:13 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Is this regarding the comments he made regarding the electability of Obama? There was nothing racist nor objectionable in them, he should not have apoligised.

It was true no doubt, but he is no different than any other politician, or avergae joe for that matter. Mainstream America seems to be intimidated with blacks with darker skin tones.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 1:52:38 PM
I think his comment was completely accurate in all respects.

The implications in his statement were pretty much the following.

1. White Americans will react more favorably to a lighter skinned Black American than a darker one.

Sadly this statement is true for a select amount of the White race. I don't think it reflected his personal views excepting on what he personally thought the situation currently is, which I agree and think that this statement is true to a degree as well.

Most blacks have crappy language, because they are not speaking the Kings English?Is that what you meant?...Some blacks have terrible grammar yes, but folks don't complain when they hum the tunes in their favorite rap song, or try to incorporate "bad English" into their vernacular....funny thing

kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 1:53:46 PM

Stereotypical constitutes to being ignorant. And we do like fried chicken....lol
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 1:54:59 PM
At 1/11/2010 12:00:28 PM, Logical-Master wrote:

NO, it says excuse me to the folks who don't normally interact with them who may not be as comfortable with them as their black friends.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 1:56:36 PM
At 1/11/2010 1:52:38 PM, kelly224 wrote:
Most blacks have crappy language, because they are not speaking the Kings English?
Improper use of language. It exists.

Is that what you meant?...Some blacks have terrible grammar yes, but folks don't complain when they hum the tunes in their favorite rap song,
Entertainment =/= Speaking intelligibly

or try to incorporate "bad English" into their vernacular....funny thing
Maybe not to your face lol