Fixing Immigration Solution

Nghia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2013 1:26:13 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hello Debate.Org Members.
This is my first post on the forums about this subject and would like to get the citizens best and worst criticism about the idea. Now I am unsure if this has ever been talked about but here it goes.

The immigration system is one of the many hot topics in politics. The people seem to be unhappy with the way the system is currently handling the problem. The system I propose is not final and will need help making it better if it is ever taken seriously.

This is how the system will work. An immigrant that wishes to come to the country would be able to apply to work in the United States. They would be required to work in any industry that requires the most help (current focus is on construction or farming). Employees would be able to hire the immigrants for $5/hourly wage. For every immigrant the employee hires, they must also hire one citizen at the cost of $15/hour. So an employee would basically be hiring two employees for $20 (pretty much the same deal they are getting now)

Illegals would reconsider sneaking over and risking their lives just to compete for $5/hour. It helps our citizens earn a decent wage. The country will train and push a new wave of immigrants to work and build new roads and infastructure at a very low cost to the government if there is demand for cheap labor. We would be able to compete with 3rd world countries.

Immigrants working here would need to have a sponsor of some sort to be able to house them and they would be required to attend schooling (not sure who would pay for it) so they are able to assimilate to the societies way of living. The government would tax them upon paying their wages (weekly/monthly/yearly up to the people to decide).

I would also like to add that there will be a term limit to how long an immigrant should be able to work to gain citizenship or right to live in the country. That would be up to the people to decide (1-5 years)

If there is any additional ideas you would like to add in to improve the system would be great. If there is a major flaw in the idea I would love to hear it and possibly figure out a solution.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2013 2:15:19 AM
1. What if a company only needs one employee?
2. The minimum wage is minimum for everyone who falls under the law, this includes immigrants.
My work here is, finally, done.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2013 2:23:00 AM
At 12/27/2013 1:26:13 AM, Nghia wrote:
This is my first post on the forums about this subject and would like to get the citizens best and worst criticism about the idea. Now I am unsure if this has ever been talked about but here it goes.

The immigration system is one of the many hot topics in politics. The people seem to be unhappy with the way the system is currently handling the problem. The system I propose is not final and will need help making it better if it is ever taken seriously.

This is how the system will work. An immigrant that wishes to come to the country would be able to apply to work in the United States. They would be required to work in any industry that requires the most help (current focus is on construction or farming). Employees would be able to hire the immigrants for $5/hourly wage. For every immigrant the employee hires, they must also hire one citizen at the cost of $15/hour. So an employee would basically be hiring two employees for $20 (pretty much the same deal they are getting now)

Illegals would reconsider sneaking over and risking their lives just to compete for $5/hour. It helps our citizens earn a decent wage. The country will train and push a new wave of immigrants to work and build new roads and infastructure at a very low cost to the government if there is demand for cheap labor. We would be able to compete with 3rd world countries.

Immigrants working here would need to have a sponsor of some sort to be able to house them and they would be required to attend schooling (not sure who would pay for it) so they are able to assimilate to the societies way of living. The government would tax them upon paying their wages (weekly/monthly/yearly up to the people to decide).

I would also like to add that there will be a term limit to how long an immigrant should be able to work to gain citizenship or right to live in the country. That would be up to the people to decide (1-5 years)

If there is any additional ideas you would like to add in to improve the system would be great. If there is a major flaw in the idea I would love to hear it and possibly figure out a solution.

There needs to be more flexibility in pay rates. It may also be a better idea to simply say "X% of employees must be citizens" that way they aren't just firing the citizen worker so that they can hire a new one to get another new immigrant.

I've always suggested that as part of the process to obtain citizenship, all immigrants must go through a working period (unless they came over as a family) of 2 to 5 years, where the pay rate would be a middle ground of what the person would make in their own home country verse what they would make in the US. So if a doctor from Sweden wanted to immigrate to the US, it would apply to them as well, just like a manual laborer from Mexico.

There are a number of other things involved of course, as any such policy can't realistically be summed in just a paragraph.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Nghia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2013 11:38:02 AM
At 12/27/2013 2:23:00 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/27/2013 1:26:13 AM, Nghia wrote:

There needs to be more flexibility in pay rates. It may also be a better idea to simply say "X% of employees must be citizens" that way they aren't just firing the citizen worker so that they can hire a new one to get another new immigrant.

I've always suggested that as part of the process to obtain citizenship, all immigrants must go through a working period (unless they came over as a family) of 2 to 5 years, where the pay rate would be a middle ground of what the person would make in their own home country verse what they would make in the US. So if a doctor from Sweden wanted to immigrate to the US, it would apply to them as well, just like a manual laborer from Mexico.

There are a number of other things involved of course, as any such policy can't realistically be summed in just a paragraph.

I agree with you that a new system / law for immigrants can not be summed up in 1 forum post. It will obviously require our citizens to work together to make the system as fair and balanced as possible. This is only a foundation and the real question is "Does it have legs to run on?"

Points to consider:
1) Stops illegals from coming over (there is no incentive risk their lives to compete with other immigrants at such a low wage)
2) Gives businesses cheap labor to compete with other countries (boost in economy possibly bringing back companies we lost)
3) The country will be producing so much goods and services that it will become extremely affordable to our country (boost in economy)
4) Our citizens and legal immigrants will all have a new higher minimum wage (boost in economy when citizens have more money to spend)
5) Illegals do not get rewarded for breaking the our laws (our citizens would be happy or accept this)
SemperVI
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2013 2:37:47 PM
Welcome Nghia,

I agree, our current immigration laws need to be reformed. I am not sure what you suggest will actually fix the problems it has. I have for years considered this subject and I think it would require several things to happen in order to foster a balanced and feasible solution.

To keep this brief, I will only cover immigration as it pertains to North American latin countries. The first thing this country as a people need to do is recognize, that we, as a soveriegn state have a duty to protect our border. No other countries have open, uncontrolled borders and this needs to be reiterated in public discourse.

Having done this, we need to have a treaty with Mexico that will require both sides to make concessions.

1) The US will need to make it very easy for immigrant labor to work in the US. These immigrants will pay all the same taxes, social security and fica citizens pay. In return, Mexican immigration will cooperate much more with US immigration in securing this border. If you make it easy to cross the border to work legally, this would drastically reduce illegal border crossing.

2) The penalty for crossing the border illegally should be more severe. If an immigrant laborer is caught doing this, they will be disqualified from working in the US for a period of time. The point is, make it a no brainer for genuine immigrants who want to work to cross legally. The only ones crossing illegally would be the criminals who have other intentions like smuggling or covert infiltration. Again Mexico and US would need to work in cooperation on both sides of the border.

3) Mexico will need to allow US investors to buy and/or lease land in Mexico and establish American owned businesses to operate in Mexico. Not just for huge corporations like Pepsi and Ford. Small businesses too. Currently, an average US citizen can not own land or a business in Mexico, nor is it at all easy for them to work in Mexico without paying huge tariffs making it impossible. Doing this would open the job market in Mexico. Additionally, Mexico would need to allow US immigrant workers to easily work in Mexico.

4) Immigration workers would seek employment through an international coop union. The union would not be your typical trade union and fees would be based on a small percentage of your wages. Immigration wages would be negotiated between the union reps and the trade industry. Employers would only be allowed to hire immigrant labor through these coop unions. The unions would be responsible for ensuring all immigrants were properly identified and legally allowed to work. Any company caught hiring immigrants outside of the union would be severely fined.

Lastly, signing up and applying for employment through these unions must be done in the immigrants home country for first time sign ups. All immigrants will require authorization to work from the host nation.

Obviously, this needs more work, but you get the gist of it.

Just my two cents
Salvador
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 12:25:33 AM
I like this system, coming from a Latino. But wouldn't 5/hourly be to little? Also would this be able to be passed by extreme liberals?
Nghia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 12:28:46 AM
It is a low pay + citizenship to live and work in the US and strive for a better life. In my opinion it is a fair price but requires hard work and dedication. If anything it is the right price to pay that most Americans on the right would welcome. If you work hard you deserve to live in the country. Americans do not seem to be very happy with the idea of "giving" away amnesty so this would effectively solve that sentiment.

Although the pay is low, we should have a small requirement that the immigrant have a sponsor that is able to house them (feed them if possible if the pay is too low so it doesn't cost tax payer money. Would require smarter people to calculate this). Immigrants would earn a wage more than what they would earn in their own country (true or false?) so who's really unhappy?

Even if there are a few people that would be unhappy with this system. I suspect there would be a massive crowd that would jump at this opportunity to work for citizenship. Immigrants that come over illegally would never be able to compete with honest working immigrants.

As I stated earlier before, this is only an idea of a foundation to work on. We as a whole country would need to come together and work out the kinks and everything to make it as reasonable and fair as possible.
Nghia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 12:33:41 AM
I would also like to reiterate the fact that our own citizens in the country would be able to receive a new minimum wage (at the backs of working immigrants). Both sides of the political spectrum would welcome this if they are able to agree. Cheap labor (satisfies right) and higher wages (satisfies left) for citizens. The boost in the economy would be exponential and effectively push the country to a new age of progress.