Jump to topic:

Biggest Headline Story In 2013 *

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 10:00:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am gonna declare that the story of the year was the George Zimmerman verdict, and the end of the Trayvon Martin case. I do believe that this was the one that really provoked people in a way that I have never seen in my lifetime. What do you have DDO. What was the biggest story of the year for you. =)
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 11:53:38 AM
At 12/30/2013 10:00:53 AM, inferno wrote:
I am gonna declare that the story of the year was the George Zimmerman verdict, and the end of the Trayvon Martin case. I do believe that this was the one that really provoked people in a way that I have never seen in my lifetime. What do you have DDO. What was the biggest story of the year for you. =)

I thought it was the Boston Marathon bombing. I can still imagine the videos after the blast.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 12:23:12 PM
It's the President's "If you like your health care, you'll get to keep it. Period." It's not just a an ordinary political lie, but it's what one journalist called an "incandescent lie." No ordinary citizen was affected by Benghazi or the Treyvon Martin case, and very few were affected by the Boston Bombing or the IRS targeting of citizens. But destroying the health care system resonates throughout society.
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 3:41:36 PM
At 12/30/2013 12:23:12 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
It's the President's "If you like your health care, you'll get to keep it. Period." It's not just a an ordinary political lie, but it's what one journalist called an "incandescent lie." No ordinary citizen was affected by Benghazi or the Treyvon Martin case, and very few were affected by the Boston Bombing or the IRS targeting of citizens. But destroying the health care system resonates throughout society.
I thought that would be the event of the decade.

I assumed it was one of those "fill in the gap" moments where Obama made a claim about something he did not know anything about. Then again Obama was an attorney....so he should of known what he was saying.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 11:32:01 PM
I thought that [Obama lie] would be the event of the decade.

I assumed it was one of those "fill in the gap" moments where Obama made a claim about something he did not know anything about. Then again Obama was an attorney....so he should of known what he was saying.

There's a video of Obama at a meeting with Republican legislators where Obama acknowledged that many people would not get to keep their insurance. There's no doubt that Obama knew it was a lie.

The "keep it, period" claim was in about 30 prepared speeches. Presidential speeches, by all accounts, are thoroughly checked by staff, knowing that if there are any errors they will be picked up by the opposition. According to unverified "reliable sources" the staff wanted to delete the lie, but political advisers overruled them. It was essential to getting the ACA passed, so in that sense the political people were correct.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 11:35:37 PM
I think the biggest headline had to do with Edward Snowden's whistleblowing. Totally changed people's amount of trust in the government.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 11:51:57 PM
Guys, come on.... The event of the year is CLEARLY the resignation of Pope Benedict and subsequent election of Pope Francis.....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 12:01:36 AM
At 12/30/2013 11:51:57 PM, imabench wrote:
Guys, come on.... The event of the year is CLEARLY the resignation of Pope Benedict and subsequent election of Pope Francis.....

I'd agree with this, and the Snowden thing, accept in light of what Roy said. Neither of things really have any effect on me. The ACA really does effect every American directly.

That said, I like the new pope and it's a significant thing.

As for the Snowden thing, none of it really came as a surprise, though seeing it so blatantly is pretty amazing. This has no effect on my already minimal trust for the government though, and for me personally, the NSA can spy on me all they want for all I care. In a broader sense I am a bit more concerned about it though.

So I agree with Roy that the implementation and failures of the ACA have often been the biggest headlines of the year.
Debate.org Moderator
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 12:24:45 AM
At 12/31/2013 12:01:36 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

I'd agree with this, and the Snowden thing, accept in light of what Roy said. Neither of things really have any effect on me. The ACA really does effect every American directly.

As for the Snowden thing, none of it really came as a surprise, though seeing it so blatantly is pretty amazing. This has no effect on my already minimal trust for the government though, and for me personally, the NSA can spy on me all they want for all I care. In a broader sense I am a bit more concerned about it though.

So I agree with Roy that the implementation and failures of the ACA have often been the biggest headlines of the year.

I think the last time a pope retired it was 700 years ago, so there's that :P
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 12:28:06 AM
At 12/31/2013 12:24:45 AM, imabench wrote:
At 12/31/2013 12:01:36 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

I think the last time a pope retired it was 700 years ago, so there's that :P

yup, it's certainly rare and certainly significant. And significant cuz I also really like this pope. He seems like a good guy I'd play golf with.

But still, and this is only my personal reason, the pope has almost no effect on my life whatsoever.

The ACA may not effect me directly, but even indirectly, it will effect me directly. (I didn't mean that to sound as paradoxical as it may)
Debate.org Moderator
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 11:42:41 AM

Oh please. Nobody really cared about this until there was a new Pope in town.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 11:44:20 AM
At 12/30/2013 11:35:37 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I think the biggest headline had to do with Edward Snowden's whistleblowing. Totally changed people's amount of trust in the government.

This was bound to happen sooner or later. Hes not a traitor. But more of an activist who made a very profound and compromising decision that could have very well ended his life.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2014 4:55:23 PM
At 1/8/2014 11:23:21 AM, inferno wrote:
At 1/6/2014 1:31:44 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Um, idk, maybe all the revolutions that happened.

Such as.

Egypt is the most notable.
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Dozens of other regions, all around the world, became politically unstable and broke out in widespread public demonstration.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord