Total Posts:36|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

illegal Immigrants receiving law licenses ?

Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 5:21:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Apparently, undocumented peoples can now can receive law licenses in the state of California.
http://www.mercurynews.com...

I got this link from a fellow DDOer on this site. In the message, one of our fellow DDO users said a beautiful phrase: "The People's Republic of California is being evil again." Apparently, they don't like licenses for undocumented workers. But what is everyone's thoughts? I don't have an opinion on the subject at all.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
ironmaiden
Posts: 456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 11:26:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/2/2014 5:21:19 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
Apparently, undocumented peoples can now can receive law licenses in the state of California.
http://www.mercurynews.com...

I got this link from a fellow DDOer on this site. In the message, one of our fellow DDO users said a beautiful phrase: "The People's Republic of California is being evil again." Apparently, they don't like licenses for undocumented workers. But what is everyone's thoughts? I don't have an opinion on the subject at all.

I didn't read the article, but I wouldn't be surprised. California is pure evil.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 11:48:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
If they can receive documents, are they still undocumented? :)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 9:53:07 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/2/2014 11:48:44 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
If they can receive documents, are they still undocumented? :)

That is a problem. Well my only comment is "there once was this great place called the United States, it is no longer great because it has been run into the ground by MILLS."
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 2:00:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
MILLS? Clarify.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 4:01:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Never heard of such a thing.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 7:00:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/3/2014 2:00:55 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
MILLS? Clarify.
MILLS
Major Ivy League Lawyers
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 5:04:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/3/2014 7:00:57 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 1/3/2014 2:00:55 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
MILLS? Clarify.
MILLS
Major Ivy League Lawyers

Why does someone have to be a citizen to practice law?
My work here is, finally, done.
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 11:11:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 5:04:12 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Why does someone have to be a citizen to practice law?
I don't have a strong opinion on the matter as I first said. I was looking for other opinions on the subject. My only issue would be the persons that are undocumented that are given the privilege of practicing law. If someone has a green card or a work visa, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to practice law.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 11:18:22 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 11:11:51 AM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 1/4/2014 5:04:12 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Why does someone have to be a citizen to practice law?
I don't have a strong opinion on the matter as I first said. I was looking for other opinions on the subject. My only issue would be the persons that are undocumented that are given the privilege of practicing law. If someone has a green card or a work visa, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to practice law.

Let's say my uncle is a lawyer in another country where he is a citizen, do you know if he were to come here to represent me, if he would have a green card or work visa?

Further, being allowed to practice law is a time consuming ordeal (application, passing the bar, presumably a review/investigation of some sort), so, even if he wasn't living here, is there a reason he couldn't have license to work here, if he ever saw reason to?

On the surface, this issue seems awful, but in practicality, I don't see any reason not to allow a professional license to a non-citizen. The same would go with a doctor.
My work here is, finally, done.
ironmaiden
Posts: 456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 4:08:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Any illegal alien who crosses the border to another country does not belong there. They didn't earn the right to be there, therefore they shouldn't be allowed to live there. It's especially worse if the government is rewarding them with things like welfare, free rides to college, etc. As soon as the government does all that, which it has, illegal aliens will think they're welcome in the United States. The truth is, they're not. They have a huge hand in screwing up the economy.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 4:25:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 4:08:34 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
Any illegal alien who crosses the border to another country does not belong there. They didn't earn the right to be there, therefore they shouldn't be allowed to live there. It's especially worse if the government is rewarding them with things like welfare, free rides to college, etc. As soon as the government does all that, which it has, illegal aliens will think they're welcome in the United States. The truth is, they're not. They have a huge hand in screwing up the economy.

I'm not that passionate about this issue, though I certainly would like the problem resolved so that good, productive people of all backgrounds can be able to be safe citizens afforded all right of anyone else.

I'm responding to your post for a few reasons.

1) They didn't earn the right to be there

Very few American "Earned" their right to be here. It's a right to be sure, but not very often earned. My parents are American, and I was born in America, so I "Earned" that right I suppose.

2) Therefore they shouldn't be allowed to live there

A lack of earning that right is probably the worst argument I've heard regarding the issue.

We are a country of laws, and those laws should be followed. If we as a society want to change those laws, that would be fine. But not earning any right to be here seems to lead to other arguments, like the fact that I haven't earned any right to be here either. Should I be deported?

3) It's especially worse if the government is rewarding them with things like welfare, free rides to college, etc.

This is certainly a valid point, but one that is only secondary to the entire issue.

We have businesses encouraging illegals to enter the country to work. Until we prevent businesses from doing this, the issue will continue forever.

Since these people are in the country working, I see no problem with the government allowing them to take advantage of some of the perks this country has to offer.

But as I said, we either cut off the issue from it's source, or realize that there are necessary aspects that will result from allowing it to continue.

4) As soon as the government does all that, which it has, illegal aliens will think they're welcome in the United States.

As I began above, illegals have every reason to think they are welcome, because we are giving them jobs here. While the government is complicit due to a lack of action on it, I'm not sure there is the will, politically or socially, to disallow the labor these people provide.

5) They have a huge hand in screwing up the economy.

They also have a hand in providing me the means to get cheap goods which is an important part of our economy. I'm not sure which will screw up the economy as we know it more: Allowing them to be here illegally, or actually enforcing the laws.
Debate.org Moderator
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 4:29:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 4:08:34 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
Any illegal alien who crosses the border to another country does not belong there. They didn't earn the right to be there, therefore they shouldn't be allowed to live there. It's especially worse if the government is rewarding them with things like welfare, free rides to college, etc. As soon as the government does all that, which it has, illegal aliens will think they're welcome in the United States. The truth is, they're not. They have a huge hand in screwing up the economy.

To the case at hand, we are not necessarily talking about living there, are we?
To represent someone in a court of law, you need a license to do so (or at least to be compensated). This are different issues, IMO.
My work here is, finally, done.
ironmaiden
Posts: 456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 4:43:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 4:25:27 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 1/4/2014 4:08:34 PM, ironmaiden wrote:

I'm responding to your post for a few reasons.

1) They didn't earn the right to be there

Very few American "Earned" their right to be here. It's a right to be sure, but not very often earned. My parents are American, and I was born in America, so I "Earned" that right I suppose.

I suppose so. If you're born here, you should have the right to live here. But anyone who comes here illegally shouldn't. And that goes for anyone, from Mexicans to Canadians to Asians.

2) Therefore they shouldn't be allowed to live there

A lack of earning that right is probably the worst argument I've heard regarding the issue.

Why so?

We are a country of laws, and those laws should be followed.

We are a country of freedom, and laws should be minimal.

If we as a society want to change those laws, that would be fine. But not earning any right to be here seems to lead to other arguments, like the fact that I haven't earned any right to be here either. Should I be deported?

You shouldn't, you were born here.

3) It's especially worse if the government is rewarding them with things like welfare, free rides to college, etc.

This is certainly a valid point, but one that is only secondary to the entire issue.

We have businesses encouraging illegals to enter the country to work. Until we prevent businesses from doing this, the issue will continue forever.

Yes, businesses should be required to hire legal citizens.

Since these people are in the country working, I see no problem with the government allowing them to take advantage of some of the perks this country has to offer.

Like my tax dollars?

But as I said, we either cut off the issue from it's source, or realize that there are necessary aspects that will result from allowing it to continue.

4) As soon as the government does all that, which it has, illegal aliens will think they're welcome in the United States.

As I began above, illegals have every reason to think they are welcome, because we are giving them jobs here. While the government is complicit due to a lack of action on it, I'm not sure there is the will, politically or socially, to disallow the labor these people provide.

What about the thousands of legal citizens without a job? There's people out there who try to look for jobs and simply struggle, because they have to compete with illegal aliens.

5) They have a huge hand in screwing up the economy.

They also have a hand in providing me the means to get cheap goods which is an important part of our economy. I'm not sure which will screw up the economy as we know it more: Allowing them to be here illegally, or actually enforcing the laws.

Honest question: why is it you can't hire legal citizens for the same price as an illegal alien? If I was a business owner, I would rather hire a legal citizen and pay him/her the same as I would anyone else.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
ironmaiden
Posts: 456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 4:54:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 4:29:21 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/4/2014 4:08:34 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
Any illegal alien who crosses the border to another country does not belong there. They didn't earn the right to be there, therefore they shouldn't be allowed to live there. It's especially worse if the government is rewarding them with things like welfare, free rides to college, etc. As soon as the government does all that, which it has, illegal aliens will think they're welcome in the United States. The truth is, they're not. They have a huge hand in screwing up the economy.

To the case at hand, we are not necessarily talking about living there, are we?
To represent someone in a court of law, you need a license to do so (or at least to be compensated). This are different issues, IMO.

Right, I kinda got off topic. My thing is, it's bad enough that illegal immigrants are here, now they're being granted all these privileges?

Next thing you know, they'll be allowed on juries. (Did that happen somewhere??) If that ever happens, and I find myself in court for whatever reason, I will refuse to let any illegal alien decide whether I'm guilty or innocent.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 4:56:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 4:54:05 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 1/4/2014 4:29:21 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/4/2014 4:08:34 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
Any illegal alien who crosses the border to another country does not belong there. They didn't earn the right to be there, therefore they shouldn't be allowed to live there. It's especially worse if the government is rewarding them with things like welfare, free rides to college, etc. As soon as the government does all that, which it has, illegal aliens will think they're welcome in the United States. The truth is, they're not. They have a huge hand in screwing up the economy.

To the case at hand, we are not necessarily talking about living there, are we?
To represent someone in a court of law, you need a license to do so (or at least to be compensated). This are different issues, IMO.

Right, I kinda got off topic. My thing is, it's bad enough that illegal immigrants are here, now they're being granted all these privileges?
I didn't know it was considered a privilege to be licensed in another country to work.
Is it a privilege for an American doctor to be hired by someone in Mexico to do a surgery?

Next thing you know, they'll be allowed on juries. (Did that happen somewhere??) If that ever happens, and I find myself in court for whatever reason, I will refuse to let any illegal alien decide whether I'm guilty or innocent.

To my knowledge, jury pools are based on voter rolls, and illegals shouldn't be on them. So, it is unlikely that an illegal is on a jury.
My work here is, finally, done.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 4:56:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 4:43:39 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
A lack of earning that right is probably the worst argument I've heard regarding the issue.

Why so?

I haven't earned anything. I might be a law abiding and productive citizen, but nothing I have done has earned me the rights referred to in this thread.

We are a country of laws, and those laws should be followed.

We are a country of freedom, and laws should be minimal.

I'm not sure how this asserts your point. Should we not enforce immigration laws so that the country has more freedom?

If we as a society want to change those laws, that would be fine. But not earning any right to be here seems to lead to other arguments, like the fact that I haven't earned any right to be here either. Should I be deported?

You shouldn't, you were born here.

Right, but I didn't actually "earn" anything in a strict sense. I just passively earned it. Though this isn't really an important point.

3) It's especially worse if the government is rewarding them with things like welfare, free rides to college, etc.

This is certainly a valid point, but one that is only secondary to the entire issue.

We have businesses encouraging illegals to enter the country to work. Until we prevent businesses from doing this, the issue will continue forever.

Yes, businesses should be required to hire legal citizens.

Right, so this was ultimately the point. Should we have stricter punishments on businesses hiring illegals?

Since these people are in the country working, I see no problem with the government allowing them to take advantage of some of the perks this country has to offer.

Like my tax dollars?

Correct. If we don't resolve the root of the issue, we have to concede to dealing with its symptoms.

But as I said, we either cut off the issue from it's source, or realize that there are necessary aspects that will result from allowing it to continue.

4) As soon as the government does all that, which it has, illegal aliens will think they're welcome in the United States.

As I began above, illegals have every reason to think they are welcome, because we are giving them jobs here. While the government is complicit due to a lack of action on it, I'm not sure there is the will, politically or socially, to disallow the labor these people provide.

What about the thousands of legal citizens without a job? There's people out there who try to look for jobs and simply struggle, because they have to compete with illegal aliens.

It's problematic to be sure, though those people wouldn't be working for below minimum wage either way.

5) They have a huge hand in screwing up the economy.

They also have a hand in providing me the means to get cheap goods which is an important part of our economy. I'm not sure which will screw up the economy as we know it more: Allowing them to be here illegally, or actually enforcing the laws.

Honest question: why is it you can't hire legal citizens for the same price as an illegal alien? If I was a business owner, I would rather hire a legal citizen and pay him/her the same as I would anyone else.

Because they are often paid below minimum wage. The entire situation is problematic. But there seems to be no political will to fix it.

The right (big agro and other business) wants cheap labor. The left wants distance from anything possibly looking ethnocentric, and it has political motives.
Debate.org Moderator
ironmaiden
Posts: 456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 5:00:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 4:56:24 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/4/2014 4:54:05 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 1/4/2014 4:29:21 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/4/2014 4:08:34 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
Any illegal alien who crosses the border to another country does not belong there. They didn't earn the right to be there, therefore they shouldn't be allowed to live there. It's especially worse if the government is rewarding them with things like welfare, free rides to college, etc. As soon as the government does all that, which it has, illegal aliens will think they're welcome in the United States. The truth is, they're not. They have a huge hand in screwing up the economy.

To the case at hand, we are not necessarily talking about living there, are we?
To represent someone in a court of law, you need a license to do so (or at least to be compensated). This are different issues, IMO.

Right, I kinda got off topic. My thing is, it's bad enough that illegal immigrants are here, now they're being granted all these privileges?
I didn't know it was considered a privilege to be licensed in another country to work.

Well, if you're an illegal alien.

Is it a privilege for an American doctor to be hired by someone in Mexico to do a surgery?

I'd say so. Nobody had to hire him, therefore he's privileged that they did. But, is he just performing a surgery there, or is he living there illegally?

Next thing you know, they'll be allowed on juries. (Did that happen somewhere??) If that ever happens, and I find myself in court for whatever reason, I will refuse to let any illegal alien decide whether I'm guilty or innocent.

To my knowledge, jury pools are based on voter rolls, and illegals shouldn't be on them. So, it is unlikely that an illegal is on a jury.

Thank goodness.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 5:08:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 5:00:48 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 1/4/2014 4:56:24 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:


Right, I kinda got off topic. My thing is, it's bad enough that illegal immigrants are here, now they're being granted all these privileges?
I didn't know it was considered a privilege to be licensed in another country to work.

Well, if you're an illegal alien.
Why should the license board know this?
Are you suggesting that if he was a citizen of the U.S., he should be allowed to practice law.
He should also be allowed to practice law if he resides in a foreign country, but works here.
But, if he lives here illegally, then he should not be allowed to practice law.

What sense does that make?
Why can't a U.S. lawyer live in the Baja peninsula?

Is it a privilege for an American doctor to be hired by someone in Mexico to do a surgery?

I'd say so. Nobody had to hire him, therefore he's privileged that they did. But, is he just performing a surgery there, or is he living there illegally?

Why does it matter?
Why does it matter upon issuing the ability to work?

Where does it stop?
Do I need to be a citizen to own stock in a company?
Do I need to be living in the country (or state) where I am allowed to sell real estate?
My work here is, finally, done.
ironmaiden
Posts: 456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 5:34:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 4:56:38 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 1/4/2014 4:43:39 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
I haven't earned anything. I might be a law abiding and productive citizen, but nothing I have done has earned me the rights referred to in this thread.

You also didn't do anything illegal to enter this country. You were born here; while you might not have actually done anything to earn the right to be here, you didn't do anything wrong to get here.

We are a country of laws, and those laws should be followed.

We are a country of freedom, and laws should be minimal.

I'm not sure how this asserts your point. Should we not enforce immigration laws so that the country has more freedom?

We should enforce them. I was just saying that we're a country founded on freedom...I don't know where I was going with that...

If we as a society want to change those laws, that would be fine. But not earning any right to be here seems to lead to other arguments, like the fact that I haven't earned any right to be here either. Should I be deported?

You shouldn't, you were born here.

Right, but I didn't actually "earn" anything in a strict sense. I just passively earned it. Though this isn't really an important point.

As I said before, you didn't do anything wrong to get here.

3) It's especially worse if the government is rewarding them with things like welfare, free rides to college, etc.

This is certainly a valid point, but one that is only secondary to the entire issue.

We have businesses encouraging illegals to enter the country to work. Until we prevent businesses from doing this, the issue will continue forever.

Yes, businesses should be required to hire legal citizens.

Right, so this was ultimately the point. Should we have stricter punishments on businesses hiring illegals?

I would say so. I'm all for free market, but hiring illegals is not right.

Since these people are in the country working, I see no problem with the government allowing them to take advantage of some of the perks this country has to offer.

Like my tax dollars?

Correct. If we don't resolve the root of the issue, we have to concede to dealing with its symptoms.

Then we have to resolve the root of the issue, don't we? I don't mind my tax dollars going to welfare for someone who actually needs it, but I have a problem with illegals living off of my tax dollar.

But as I said, we either cut off the issue from it's source, or realize that there are necessary aspects that will result from allowing it to continue.

4) As soon as the government does all that, which it has, illegal aliens will think they're welcome in the United States.

As I began above, illegals have every reason to think they are welcome, because we are giving them jobs here. While the government is complicit due to a lack of action on it, I'm not sure there is the will, politically or socially, to disallow the labor these people provide.

What about the thousands of legal citizens without a job? There's people out there who try to look for jobs and simply struggle, because they have to compete with illegal aliens.

It's problematic to be sure, though those people wouldn't be working for below minimum wage either way.

Right.

5) They have a huge hand in screwing up the economy.

They also have a hand in providing me the means to get cheap goods which is an important part of our economy. I'm not sure which will screw up the economy as we know it more: Allowing them to be here illegally, or actually enforcing the laws.

Honest question: why is it you can't hire legal citizens for the same price as an illegal alien? If I was a business owner, I would rather hire a legal citizen and pay him/her the same as I would anyone else.

Because they are often paid below minimum wage. The entire situation is problematic. But there seems to be no political will to fix it.

The right (big agro and other business) wants cheap labor. The left wants distance from anything possibly looking ethnocentric, and it has political motives.

If I was a business owner, I would simply hire people who can do the job. I'd pay them fair but according to their job (I wouldn't pay a fast food worker over $15, but I wouldn't pay them below minimum wage). I know that's not how all business owner are, but I would.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
ironmaiden
Posts: 456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 5:51:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 5:08:30 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/4/2014 5:00:48 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 1/4/2014 4:56:24 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I didn't know it was considered a privilege to be licensed in another country to work.

Well, if you're an illegal alien.
Why should the license board know this?
Are you suggesting that if he was a citizen of the U.S., he should be allowed to practice law.
He should also be allowed to practice law if he resides in a foreign country, but works here.
But, if he lives here illegally, then he should not be allowed to practice law.

I'm suggesting that if you live somewhere legally, you should be allowed to work there. If you live there illegally, you shouldn't. I'm not talking about people living in one place and working in another.

What sense does that make?
Why can't a U.S. lawyer live in the Baja peninsula?

To answer your question, he can. But again, that's not my concern right now.

Is it a privilege for an American doctor to be hired by someone in Mexico to do a surgery?

I'd say so. Nobody had to hire him, therefore he's privileged that they did. But, is he just performing a surgery there, or is he living there illegally?

Why does it matter?
Why does it matter upon issuing the ability to work?

Because if he lives somewhere illegally, he simply does not belong there. If he lives somewhere else but is working there, that's fine. If he lives there legally, that's fine. But if he is an illegal alien, it's not fine. There's a difference between an illegal alien working in the US and someone living in another country working in the US.

Where does it stop?

It stops when the government tries to prevent illegal immigration.

Do I need to be a citizen to own stock in a company?

Based off my knowledge of owning stock, which is limited, I would say no.

Do I need to be living in the country (or state) where I am allowed to sell real estate?

Once again, this is not my point. My point is, if you entered the US illegally, you shouldn't be allowed to work in the US.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 6:27:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 5:51:58 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 1/4/2014 5:08:30 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/4/2014 5:00:48 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 1/4/2014 4:56:24 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I didn't know it was considered a privilege to be licensed in another country to work.

Well, if you're an illegal alien.
Why should the license board know this?
Are you suggesting that if he was a citizen of the U.S., he should be allowed to practice law.
He should also be allowed to practice law if he resides in a foreign country, but works here.
But, if he lives here illegally, then he should not be allowed to practice law.

I'm suggesting that if you live somewhere legally, you should be allowed to work there. If you live there illegally, you shouldn't. I'm not talking about people living in one place and working in another.
And, why is it the responsibility of the licensing agency to verify residency?
You just said there is nothing wrong with living in one country and being licensed in another, so why is it the licensing agency's responsibility to verify residency?

What sense does that make?
Why can't a U.S. lawyer live in the Baja peninsula?

To answer your question, he can. But again, that's not my concern right now.

Is it a privilege for an American doctor to be hired by someone in Mexico to do a surgery?

I'd say so. Nobody had to hire him, therefore he's privileged that they did. But, is he just performing a surgery there, or is he living there illegally?

Why does it matter?
Why does it matter upon issuing the ability to work?

Because if he lives somewhere illegally, he simply does not belong there. If he lives somewhere else but is working there, that's fine. If he lives there legally, that's fine. But if he is an illegal alien, it's not fine. There's a difference between an illegal alien working in the US and someone living in another country working in the US.
My work here is, finally, done.
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 7:13:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 11:18:22 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Let's say my uncle is a lawyer in another country where he is a citizen, do you know if he were to come here to represent me, if he would have a green card or work visa?

Further, being allowed to practice law is a time consuming ordeal (application, passing the bar, presumably a review/investigation of some sort), so, even if he wasn't living here, is there a reason he couldn't have license to work here, if he ever saw reason to?

On the surface, this issue seems awful, but in practicality, I don't see any reason not to allow a professional license to a non-citizen. The same would go with a doctor.

The requirements to get a law license varies on the country. That is why they need to apply for a license here. If someone is coming from a country where a college degree is not required they definitely should not be allowed to practice law in the United States until the fulfill all the requirements.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
ironmaiden
Posts: 456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 7:38:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 6:27:37 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/4/2014 5:51:58 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 1/4/2014 5:08:30 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/4/2014 5:00:48 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 1/4/2014 4:56:24 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I didn't know it was considered a privilege to be licensed in another country to work.

Well, if you're an illegal alien.
Why should the license board know this?
Are you suggesting that if he was a citizen of the U.S., he should be allowed to practice law.
He should also be allowed to practice law if he resides in a foreign country, but works here.
But, if he lives here illegally, then he should not be allowed to practice law.

I'm suggesting that if you live somewhere legally, you should be allowed to work there. If you live there illegally, you shouldn't. I'm not talking about people living in one place and working in another.
And, why is it the responsibility of the licensing agency to verify residency?
You just said there is nothing wrong with living in one country and being licensed in another, so why is it the licensing agency's responsibility to verify residency?

Well, it seems like they would check if you're a legal citizen before giving you a license.

What sense does that make?
Why can't a U.S. lawyer live in the Baja peninsula?

To answer your question, he can. But again, that's not my concern right now.

Is it a privilege for an American doctor to be hired by someone in Mexico to do a surgery?

I'd say so. Nobody had to hire him, therefore he's privileged that they did. But, is he just performing a surgery there, or is he living there illegally?

Why does it matter?
Why does it matter upon issuing the ability to work?

Because if he lives somewhere illegally, he simply does not belong there. If he lives somewhere else but is working there, that's fine. If he lives there legally, that's fine. But if he is an illegal alien, it's not fine. There's a difference between an illegal alien working in the US and someone living in another country working in the US.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 10:07:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/2/2014 5:21:19 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
Apparently, undocumented peoples can now can receive law licenses in the state of California.
http://www.mercurynews.com...

I got this link from a fellow DDOer on this site. In the message, one of our fellow DDO users said a beautiful phrase: "The People's Republic of California is being evil again." Apparently, they don't like licenses for undocumented workers. But what is everyone's thoughts? I don't have an opinion on the subject at all.

Whats the problem here ? It's okey if the illegals are being used as exploited labour ? But if they start going up the food chain well golly we can't allow that.

Guess they need to be kept in their place eh ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 10:15:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 10:07:59 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Whats the problem here ? It's okey if the illegals are being used as exploited labour ? But if they start going up the food chain well golly we can't allow that.

Guess they need to be kept in their place eh ?
Could you please enlighten me where did I say that using undocumented workers was acceptable?
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 10:20:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 10:15:57 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 1/4/2014 10:07:59 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Whats the problem here ? It's okey if the illegals are being used as exploited labour ? But if they start going up the food chain well golly we can't allow that.

Guess they need to be kept in their place eh ?
Could you please enlighten me where did I say that using undocumented workers was acceptable?

My comments don't apply to some one who doesn't look the other way when illegals get exploited. Ergo might not apply to you personally.

But I think we both know there are people and interests who don't mind having access to people/labour that is easily to exploit even while at the same time whaling about how awful having all these illegals are.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 10:27:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 10:20:51 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

My comments don't apply to some one who doesn't look the other way when illegals get exploited. Ergo might not apply to you personally.

But I think we both know there are people and interests who don't mind having access to people/labour that is easily to exploit even while at the same time whaling about how awful having all these illegals are.

Agreed there are people who would like to use their labor. But I could care less if they are exploited honestly, I am a moral nihilist.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 10:39:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 10:27:01 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 1/4/2014 10:20:51 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

My comments don't apply to some one who doesn't look the other way when illegals get exploited. Ergo might not apply to you personally.

But I think we both know there are people and interests who don't mind having access to people/labour that is easily to exploit even while at the same time whaling about how awful having all these illegals are.

Agreed there are people who would like to use their labor. But I could care less if they are exploited honestly, I am a moral nihilist.

Well kudos on your honesty I suppose.

You should care, allow me to appeal to your self interest. Cause one day................it could be you. Your the one who could be in a position of powerless & helplessness some one who is getting exploited over by your fellow man.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12