Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Chris Christie's Traffic Turmoil

YYW
Posts: 36,233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 8:24:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
For those of you who don't already know, there was an incident in New Jersey about a bridge which deals with high volume traffic being closed which tripled commute times. Big surprise, right?

The New Jersey port authority conducted a study to determine what effects of certain traffic externalities would have on other roads, and it has been suggested by almost every vitriolic nitwit in the media -liberal or otherwise- that this amounts to a great scandal.

Their evidence is a text message that one of Christie's subordinates sent to another underling which in no way actually proves anything. But that didn't stop the pundits, newscasters, etc.

Today, Christie held a press conference in which two things are clear: he tried to take responsibility despite the fact that there is evidence that Christie knew nothing of the plan to begin with, and despite his ignorance, Christie was taking measures to hold those who were involved accountable and clean house.

Obviously, this is a huge embarrassment to have this sort of nonsense going down in his house. But, that does not, in any way, mean that Christie is personally culpable. Alas, I stumbled upon this bit of trash in Salon today:

http://www.salon.com...

Let me be clear: Salon is a worthless news source, published by worthless people, who offer worthless pontification on more frequently than not, worthless nonevents -and this only reaffirms their worthlessness.

Here is the title: "Chris Christie"s 2-hour pity party: A mix of narcissism and bullying"

Yougottabekiddinme.... Let's explore Joan Walsh's dimwitted diatribe together.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is a very sad person today.

Obviously. Wouldn't you be, if tens of thousands of people you were personally responsible for -many of whom probably voted for you- were put in harms way because of the idiotic actions of one of your subordinates?

That"s what he told us Thursday, in a two-hour implosion of narcissism, self-pity and even a little bullying, although he also reassured us, "I am not a bully." It was a shea-culpa: He blamed the George Washington Bridge scandal on Bridget Kelly, his deputy chief of staff, and said that he"d fired her without even talking to her, deriding her as "stupid."

Oh, please. Cut the vitriolic tongue in cheek condescension. If he were culpable, then it might be appropriate -but here, your acerbic tongue is wasted on a guy whose only error here was hiring people who would do such a dreadful thing. And his aide was stupid. The implication you're trying to get at that Christie is belittling her because she is a woman, btw. is as underhanded as it is out of place.

Oh, and Kelly"s partner in the plot to punish Fort Lee"s Democratic Mayor Mark Sokolich, high school friend and Port Authority appointee David Wildstein? Not a high school friend. In fact, in high school, Christie told us, "I was the class president and an athlete, I don"t know what David was doing." Burn. And Sokolich? Christie never met him " although there are photos of the men meeting " and in fact, "I didn"t know his name until yesterday."

I suppose, then, either you have a perfect memory of every person whose face your eyes have ever glanced upon, or your social circles are so small that you could never forget anyone with whom you ever happen to be photographed. I suppose it is also the case that you assume that everyone else is equally in the same boat as you, and that you never even considered the possibility that, perhaps, the man might have forgotten he'd met someone he'd met. I know I forget people all the time! Especially if I've met them once and, like the fellow in question, they are particularly unremarkable.

In Christie"s telling, he was just another victim of the scandal: When he found out about the damning email published by the Bergen Record Wednesday morning, he"d just finished his workout for Chrissake! Over and over he said he"d been "betrayed" by his staff and he was "heartbroken." He shared his "stages of grief," and confided he hasn"t reached the anger stage yet. "The emotion I"ve been displaying in private is sad," he said weirdly. "I am a very sad person today."

First of all, is there any other "telling" you'd like to opine on? Doubtful. Instead, you'd rather lambast the one guy who might unfuck the Republican party because, as you and I both know, this is the one goddamn chance you're going to get -as otherwise, Christie runs one of the cleanest administrations in the state's history.

But he missed a chance to express sadness about the 91-year-old woman who died when paramedics were delayed by Fort Lee traffic, saying, "It"s awful to hear," but adding callously: "I"ve also heard conflicting reports about the cause of death."

I want to be very clear that all who read this particular line understand what this troglodyte is doing, so let me explain it now. Rather than actually addressing the problem (Christie's staff), she wants to imply that somehow Christie is a bad person for failing to demonstrate sufficient sympathy for a case that there are conflicting reports about as if to imply that he's a callous, heartless bastard and -above all- a bully. Horseshit. The whole bleeding lot of it. I'm sure Walsh's regular readers eat this bile up, as sure as I am that what I'm reading is bile, that her opinion's value is on par with bile and that she can make no point other than one composed in its entirety of bile. Even if Christie may be a bully, Walsh is acting like bitch -and it's pathetic.

The article continues, but this is where I'll leave it, unless the urge to rebuke strikes again.

To all those who would criticize Christie over this, I say only "grow the fvck up, and get damn grip on reality."
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 9:46:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/10/2014 8:24:22 PM, YYW wrote:
I want to be very clear that all who read this particular line understand what this troglodyte is doing, so let me explain it now. Rather than actually addressing the problem (Christie's staff), she wants to imply that somehow Christie is a bad person for failing to demonstrate sufficient sympathy for a case that there are conflicting reports about as if to imply that he's a callous, heartless bastard and -above all- a bully. Horseshit. The whole bleeding lot of it. I'm sure Walsh's regular readers eat this bile up, as sure as I am that what I'm reading is bile, that her opinion's value is on par with bile and that she can make no point other than one composed in its entirety of bile. Even if Christie may be a bully, Walsh is acting like bitch -and it's pathetic.

The article continues, but this is where I'll leave it, unless the urge to rebuke strikes again.

To all those who would criticize Christie over this, I say only "grow the fvck up, and get damn grip on reality."
I actually read that Salon article the other day and tried to forget that I read it. Your commentary is vicious. Christie will survive "BridgeGate" more than likely. I think Walsh was implying he would have to forget a presidential bid in her latest article on Salon. Their articles at Salon engage in a lot of idle talk.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 10:43:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm glad to see that you, as a liberal, agree that Salon is complete crap. The only value in reading Salon is to gawk at how incredibly stupid, hypocritical, intellectually dishonest, and ignorant people can be. Also, the idea that this bridge scandal will ruin Christie's career and Benghazi will not do the same to Clinton, a position Salon seems to endorse, is utterly absurd and would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 10:59:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
If this is the worst Chris has, he's perfectly fine. In fact, this incident might end up a shadow emphasizing the brightness light, instead of dimming it.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
TheHitchslap
Posts: 1,231
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 11:00:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/10/2014 10:43:31 PM, thett3 wrote:
I'm glad to see that you, as a liberal, agree that Salon is complete crap. The only value in reading Salon is to gawk at how incredibly stupid, hypocritical, intellectually dishonest, and ignorant people can be. Also, the idea that this bridge scandal will ruin Christie's career and Benghazi will not do the same to Clinton, a position Salon seems to endorse, is utterly absurd and would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.

^^

I agree 100%

Christie is too well liked by the media, I've noticed as well, to make this really take him down unless he does something completely stupid like admit he had something to do with it.
Thank you for voting!
imabench
Posts: 21,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 11:13:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/10/2014 10:59:16 PM, donald.keller wrote:
If this is the worst Chris has, he's perfectly fine.

Agreed ^

In fact, this incident might end up a shadow emphasizing the brightness light, instead of dimming it.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 11:13:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think this is going to harm his odds of getting the nomination in 2016. Even if he has nothing to do with it (and there is currently no reason to believe he does), he's going to be smeared like mad come election season. The ads are going to be all about the old woman who died because the ambulance couldn't get through or the children stranded on buses (and Christie's advisor who stupidly said that no one cared about those children because they were the spawn of Democrats).
Oromagi
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 11:54:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I agree that Christie's 2016 prospects should remained unchanged based on present information. There's nothing in the current reports that prove Christie had prior knowledge of the plot to deliberately screw the citizens of New Jersey. His press conference was competent, even masterful to the extent that he took full responsibility and denied any responsibility at the same time.

The question is whether there's going to be more to this story. Based on the email exchange, we are left with the definite impression that this is not the first time Christie has used the Port Authority as a political weapon. Wildstein took his marching orders without question and knew exactly what was expected of him. The national press is now going to be looking hard for evidence of prior demonstrations of power. Now Christie has now attracted a Federal investigation from his old office. If the current scrutiny comes up with nothing, then I think Christie's position might actually be strengthened by vigorous vetting in the year before he starts his run. If the press or US Attorney find some real dirt, however, a prolonged investigation has the potential to tarnish him.
YYW
Posts: 36,233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 4:12:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/10/2014 9:46:01 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 1/10/2014 8:24:22 PM, YYW wrote:
I want to be very clear that all who read this particular line understand what this troglodyte is doing, so let me explain it now. Rather than actually addressing the problem (Christie's staff), she wants to imply that somehow Christie is a bad person for failing to demonstrate sufficient sympathy for a case that there are conflicting reports about as if to imply that he's a callous, heartless bastard and -above all- a bully. Horseshit. The whole bleeding lot of it. I'm sure Walsh's regular readers eat this bile up, as sure as I am that what I'm reading is bile, that her opinion's value is on par with bile and that she can make no point other than one composed in its entirety of bile. Even if Christie may be a bully, Walsh is acting like bitch -and it's pathetic.

The article continues, but this is where I'll leave it, unless the urge to rebuke strikes again.

To all those who would criticize Christie over this, I say only "grow the fvck up, and get damn grip on reality."
I actually read that Salon article the other day and tried to forget that I read it. Your commentary is vicious.

I tend to be very unforgiving when it comes to nonsense like this, because an article like this, coming from my side, is absolutely disgraceful. I mean, not even Amy Davidson of the New Yorker would reach that level.

Christie will survive "BridgeGate" more than likely.

I'm inclined to agree, because only a comprehensive idiot (the average Salon reader, writer or editor) could possibly conclude that Christie is culpable in this mess.

I think Walsh was implying he would have to forget a presidential bid in her latest article on Salon. Their articles at Salon engage in a lot of idle talk.

...among so many other things. The underhandedness of it all is just what turns my stomach. For some perspective, when Republican pundits and commentators go after Hillary Clinton on Bengazi, not even they had the audacity to stoop to this level. This was personal, from Walsh. It's utterly disgraceful that Salon would publish it, but then again... it's Salon, which is itself a disgraceful publication -so I shouldn't be surprised.
YYW
Posts: 36,233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 4:17:36 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/10/2014 10:43:31 PM, thett3 wrote:
I'm glad to see that you, as a liberal, agree that Salon is complete crap. The only value in reading Salon is to gawk at how incredibly stupid, hypocritical, intellectually dishonest, and ignorant people can be.

Indeed. I think it speaks volumes about a person's intellectual ability, proclivity towards idiocy and irrational bias, and unlearned an individual could be -who makes any sort of a regular habit of reading Salon. The only prudent use for the publication I can think of is to take the place of cat litter.

Also, the idea that this bridge scandal will ruin Christie's career and Benghazi will not do the same to Clinton, a position Salon seems to endorse, is utterly absurd and would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.

Clinton thrives in chaos, perhaps better than any other politician I have ever seen. She'll be just fine -but recognize that Benghazi is not her cross to bear. It's Barack Obama's -however the congressional fuckwits (I'm talking about Rand Paul, above all) would tell the tale.
YYW
Posts: 36,233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 4:20:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/10/2014 11:00:17 PM, TheHitchslap wrote:
At 1/10/2014 10:43:31 PM, thett3 wrote:
I'm glad to see that you, as a liberal, agree that Salon is complete crap. The only value in reading Salon is to gawk at how incredibly stupid, hypocritical, intellectually dishonest, and ignorant people can be. Also, the idea that this bridge scandal will ruin Christie's career and Benghazi will not do the same to Clinton, a position Salon seems to endorse, is utterly absurd and would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.

^^

I agree 100%

Christie is too well liked by the media, I've noticed as well, to make this really take him down unless he does something completely stupid like admit he had something to do with it.

The thing is that the media -all of them- are portraying this as the great political scandal of the century, which it categorically is not. It's an incidence of an underling acting in bad faith -and no more.

And Christie isn't going to admit to anything he didn't do. He took responsibility for it, because it happened on his watch -and the vultures jumped on that as if somehow it's a launching ground to rein all kinds of hell down on the man's political future. It's utter idiocy.
1Percenter
Posts: 781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2014 11:16:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Chris Christie is either lying, or he is a moron. He said that he can't be responsible for what every worker in New Jersey does, which is ridiculous because he was never asked to be responsible for every worker -- this was his Deputy Chief of Staff who did this. He is in an executive position and it is his freaking job to know what his chief of staff is doing. We've had enough of this sort of ignorance and incompetence from Obama and I hope his shot at becoming president is over.

http://www.theblaze.com...
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 10:16:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/12/2014 11:16:14 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
Chris Christie is either lying, or he is a moron. He said that he can't be responsible for what every worker in New Jersey does, which is ridiculous because he was never asked to be responsible for every worker -- this was his Deputy Chief of Staff who did this. He is in an executive position and it is his freaking job to know what his chief of staff is doing. We've had enough of this sort of ignorance and incompetence from Obama and I hope his shot at becoming president is over.

http://www.theblaze.com...

It is not Governor Christie's job to follow his employees around 24/7. What is he supposed to do monitor their e-mails and computer content? That is more than a little extreme; it is paranoia at its' worse.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 12:07:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Want proof that people will stretch to facts to make a story?
http://www.nytimes.com...

This is what I posted on Facebook on the matter:
First, seven accusations over four years is too few to call him a bully, especially when only one (the current issue) is less than two years old.
Two, the story about Kean and Rosenthal are 100% CONTRADICTORY. You can't blame Kean's loss of district on Christie, when he exacted revenge on Rosenthal for not choosing Christie's map choice. Which is it? He redistricted Kean for revenge, or the Dems did when their map was approved, which is why Rosenthal was punished.

I wouldn't put it past the guy to be a bully, but this is hardly proof. He seems a bit stand-offish, but is he any different than New Jerseys/New Yorkers are in that regard?
My work here is, finally, done.
birdlandmemories
Posts: 4,139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 3:50:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Bridgegate, is all to cover up the failure that is Obamacare. Everyone, including the liberals know how bad Obamacare is, and how big a failure it has been. So to try to deter attention away from Obamacare, the media makes a bigger deal out of this scandal than it is. Where was all this coverage on Obamacare? It wasn't nearly as high as it is for Bridgegate.
Ashton