Jump to topic:

Healthcare bill not happening?

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 8:28:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Race for Kennedy's seat may affect health care reform?

http://edition.cnn.com...

Democrats hold a 60-40 filibuster-proof majority in the Senate, but if the Massachusetts seat goes to a Republican, Democrats would lose their supermajority.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 8:32:13 PM
I don't think it'll matter. The Senate bill has already been passed, and all that needs to happen is reconciliation between the Congressional and Senate bills - for which a filibuster-proof Senate isn't needed in order to pass forthwith.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 8:36:21 PM
It would matter.

"CNN political analyst David Gergen said the health care reformation issue will play a vital role in this election and this bring the tight competition. Democrats hold the 60 – 40 majority in senate over Republicans, but if they loose in this Massachusetts senate election, they will lose their supermajority"
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 8:42:55 PM
At 1/13/2010 8:36:21 PM, comoncents wrote:
It would matter.

"CNN political analyst David Gergen said the health care reformation issue will play a vital role in this election and this bring the tight competition. Democrats hold the 60 – 40 majority in senate over Republicans, but if they loose in this Massachusetts senate election, they will lose their supermajority"

Hopefully the Republicans get Massachusetts....
However, it has turned more liberal these days.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 8:43:16 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure that with reconciliation bills, you don't need a supermajority of 60 - just a simple majority of 50 plus one. The Bushites did the same with their tax cuts during his reign.

And, the chances of the Dems losing enough seats to lose their completely majority is fairly slim. Everyone things they'll lose the supermajority, though.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 8:44:48 PM
At 1/13/2010 8:43:16 PM, Volkov wrote:
Actually, I'm pretty sure that with reconciliation bills, you don't need a supermajority of 60 - just a simple majority of 50 plus one. The Bushites did the same with their tax cuts during his reign.

And, the chances of the Dems losing enough seats to lose their complete* majority is fairly slim. Everyone thinks* they'll lose the supermajority, though.

*I can't type tonight.
MistahKurtz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2010 10:57:03 AM
It literally can't not happen. The Democrats would find a way to get it through, even if it means compromising it even further.

What really frustrates me is that they decided to start on a compromise. The public option was a compromise. What they should have done was started with single-payer universal healthcare. That way, when the crazies start yelling about privatizing everything, the Democrats could come back and say "This is the benefits of having government involved." Whereas now all they can say is "These are the benefits of having the government get sort of involved but not really, but maybe only sometimes."

Naturally they would have never gotten away with single-payer, but it would have been a strong place to start.