Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

Nunchuckus and Swords

whatledge
Posts: 210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 1:17:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
If guns are legal to own for self-defense/hunting, why not nunchucks and swords? I bet I could take on a boar or something with nunchucks or with a rapier/katana.
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 4:42:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/11/2014 1:17:37 PM, whatledge wrote:
If guns are legal to own for self-defense/hunting, why not nunchucks and swords? I bet I could take on a boar or something with nunchucks or with a rapier/katana.

Depends on the state about the legality of possessing nunchaku. I had one of my nunchuka taken by the police once. I personally think they should be legal. Who is liable to defend you? It is not the police. Get robbed and sue the police department. You won't win because their job is to "serve and protect the community" not individuals. My opinion is if police aren't obligated to protect individuals, why shouldn't we be able to protect ourselves?
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 6:44:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/11/2014 4:42:13 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 1/11/2014 1:17:37 PM, whatledge wrote:
If guns are legal to own for self-defense/hunting, why not nunchucks and swords? I bet I could take on a boar or something with nunchucks or with a rapier/katana.

Depends on the state about the legality of possessing nunchaku. I had one of my nunchuka taken by the police once. I personally think they should be legal. Who is liable to defend you? It is not the police. Get robbed and sue the police department. You won't win because their job is to "serve and protect the community" not individuals. My opinion is if police aren't obligated to protect individuals, why shouldn't we be able to protect ourselves?

My brother was in NYC for like two months on a construction job (glass installer), and was almost arrested for walking on the streets with his utility knife on his belt.
Apparently, he needed to have a business license visible at all times, to have his knife attached to his belt.
My work here is, finally, done.
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2014 5:11:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/11/2014 6:44:27 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

My brother was in NYC for like two months on a construction job (glass installer), and was almost arrested for walking on the streets with his utility knife on his belt.
Apparently, he needed to have a business license visible at all times, to have his knife attached to his belt.
They must have too much time on their hands to arrest someone for something as minor as having a utility knife on his belt. If he was intending to do something malicious wouldn't he conceal it? The laws tend to be disgusting often times and even worse the enforcement of the laws.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2014 11:11:21 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/12/2014 5:11:54 AM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 1/11/2014 6:44:27 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

My brother was in NYC for like two months on a construction job (glass installer), and was almost arrested for walking on the streets with his utility knife on his belt.
Apparently, he needed to have a business license visible at all times, to have his knife attached to his belt.
They must have too much time on their hands to arrest someone for something as minor as having a utility knife on his belt. If he was intending to do something malicious wouldn't he conceal it? The laws tend to be disgusting often times and even worse the enforcement of the laws.

There is/was a law about knives or retractable knives or something.
And, the advice given by his co-workers was to put it all the way down in your pocket.

Keep in mind NYC had a gun ban too for a while.
And, in fairness to the officer, he didn't ticket or arrest him, but he almost did, because my brother was in such disbelief he thought it was a joke, which cops don't like.
My work here is, finally, done.
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2014 5:31:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://www.tickld.com...
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2014 5:32:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/12/2014 5:31:45 PM, donald.keller wrote:
http://www.tickld.com...

Wrong picture.

http://www.tickld.com...
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,726
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2014 8:49:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/11/2014 4:42:13 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:

their job [the police] is to "serve and protect the community"

That is absolutely false. The police have no duty of "serving and protecting," that is a slogan on the sides of their cars. The police have one duty, and one duty only: to arrest people who break the law.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 4:52:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/12/2014 8:49:02 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/11/2014 4:42:13 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:

their job [the police] is to "serve and protect the community"

That is absolutely false. The police have no duty of "serving and protecting," that is a slogan on the sides of their cars. The police have one duty, and one duty only: to arrest people who break the law.

The police are required to take an oath. The oath states: "I will act with honesty, courtesy and regard for the welfare of others, and will endeavor to develop the esprit de corps." The "welfare of others" does not refer to individuals. It refers to the community at large. There is nothing about arresting anyone in that oath either.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Juris_Naturalis
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 7:52:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/11/2014 1:17:37 PM, whatledge wrote:
If guns are legal to own for self-defense/hunting, why not nunchucks and swords? I bet I could take on a boar or something with nunchucks or with a rapier/katana.

Unless your name is Bruce Lee, I bet you my entire savings you will die if you try to take on a boar with a pair of nunchuks.
whatledge
Posts: 210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 10:11:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/13/2014 7:52:34 AM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:
At 1/11/2014 1:17:37 PM, whatledge wrote:
If guns are legal to own for self-defense/hunting, why not nunchucks and swords? I bet I could take on a boar or something with nunchucks or with a rapier/katana.

Unless your name is Bruce Lee, I bet you my entire savings you will die if you try to take on a boar with a pair of nunchuks.

How about if I used 2 pairs and dual wield them?
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,726
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 12:54:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/13/2014 4:52:02 AM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 1/12/2014 8:49:02 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/11/2014 4:42:13 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:

their job [the police] is to "serve and protect the community"

That is absolutely false. The police have no duty of "serving and protecting," that is a slogan on the sides of their cars. The police have one duty, and one duty only: to arrest people who break the law.

The police are required to take an oath. The oath states: "I will act with honesty, courtesy and regard for the welfare of others, and will endeavor to develop the esprit de corps." The "welfare of others" does not refer to individuals. It refers to the community at large. There is nothing about arresting anyone in that oath either.

I don't care if they take an oath to wear tutus while directing traffic - the police have a very specific legal function in society and embellishing it with bullisht is not helpful to any discussion about them.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
whatledge
Posts: 210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 3:32:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/13/2014 10:13:35 AM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:
You would still die. Do you even know how thick a boar's skull is?

I know a person that killed bulls with his bare hands.

Godhand, Oyama

Granted, this man is also a legend in martial arts...

I may very well come for your savings, as soon as I learn to dual wield my nunchucks properly.
Juris_Naturalis
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 3:35:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/13/2014 3:32:52 PM, whatledge wrote:
At 1/13/2014 10:13:35 AM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:
You would still die. Do you even know how thick a boar's skull is?

I know a person that killed bulls with his bare hands.

Godhand, Oyama

Granted, this man is also a legend in martial arts...

I may very well come for your savings, as soon as I learn to dual wield my nunchucks properly.

Bull does not equal boar.

Note the part, martial arts legend. And are you sure they're dead and not knocked out?

Why do you insist on using the most inefficient method of hunting a very dangerous animal? Why not something more reasonable like a .308?
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 4:23:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/13/2014 12:54:58 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
I don't care if they take an oath to wear tutus while directing traffic - the police have a very specific legal function in society and embellishing it with bullisht is not helpful to any discussion about them.

That was an obscure response to a very important matter. The police have to take oaths and must uphold those oaths. The facts remain the same whether you like them or not.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
whatledge
Posts: 210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 4:24:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago

I may very well come for your savings, as soon as I learn to dual wield my nunchucks properly.

Bull does not equal boar.

Well sure, but the concept is smiliar


Note the part, martial arts legend. And are you sure they're dead and not knocked out?

Yes, he did this demonstration numerous times. I think he killed around 13 bulls total.



Why do you insist on using the most inefficient method of hunting a very dangerous animal? Why not something more reasonable like a .308?

I insist to clear out your savings. I just don't think we should be limited to guns, when other weapons can be just as lethal.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,726
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 6:50:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/13/2014 4:23:58 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 1/13/2014 12:54:58 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
I don't care if they take an oath to wear tutus while directing traffic - the police have a very specific legal function in society and embellishing it with bullisht is not helpful to any discussion about them.

That was an obscure response to a very important matter. The police have to take oaths and must uphold those oaths. The facts remain the same whether you like them or not.

I don't know how else to say this to you - the police have a very specific function, which is to arrest people to break the law. Embellishing that with this "serve and protect" nonsense obscures the role they play in society. The oath is an internal formality, like swearing on the Bible in court. You are letting the tail wag the dog here by emphasizing it!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 7:19:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/13/2014 6:50:22 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

I don't know how else to say this to you - the police have a very specific function, which is to arrest people to break the law. Embellishing that with this "serve and protect" nonsense obscures the role they play in society. The oath is an internal formality, like swearing on the Bible in court. You are letting the tail wag the dog here by emphasizing it!

Arresting people is not the function of the police. The police's primary function is law enforcement, not arresting people. That means settling disputes, protecting public officials, enforcing evictions on occasion, and as well as using warrants.

And no the oath is not a formality. Police officers are obligated obey their oath by law. The oath is considered an informal legal contract considering an oath affirms a written contract even further. If they break their oath they can be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the infringement. The penalties can be harsh depending on what was broken in the agreement. I don't where your arriving at these ideas from.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,726
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 7:36:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/13/2014 7:19:29 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 1/13/2014 6:50:22 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

I don't know how else to say this to you - the police have a very specific function, which is to arrest people to break the law. Embellishing that with this "serve and protect" nonsense obscures the role they play in society. The oath is an internal formality, like swearing on the Bible in court. You are letting the tail wag the dog here by emphasizing it!

Arresting people is not the function of the police. The police's primary function is law enforcement, not arresting people.

That's a contradiction, since arresting people is the way police enforce the law.

That means settling disputes, protecting public officials, enforcing evictions on occasion, and as well as using warrants.

All of which are carried out merely as an extension of their powers to arrest people.

And no the oath is not a formality. Police officers are obligated obey their oath by law. The oath is considered an informal legal contract considering an oath affirms a written contract even further. If they break their oath they can be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the infringement. The penalties can be harsh depending on what was broken in the agreement. I don't where your arriving at these ideas from.

The oath is much too vague to take what you just said seriously. I got the idea from G. Gordon Liddy, a conservative talk-show host who spent time in the military, the FBI, and as a lawyer. I'll accept his ethos over some guy on the internet any day :P
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 8:09:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/13/2014 7:36:54 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

That's a contradiction, since arresting people is the way police enforce the law.
Contradiction:"a combination of statements, ideas, or features of a situation that are opposed to one another."
That is not a contradiction. Arrests only compliment law enforcement.

The oath is much too vague to take what you just said seriously. I got the idea from G. Gordon Liddy, a conservative talk-show host who spent time in the military, the FBI, and as a lawyer. I'll accept his ethos over some guy on the internet any day :P

First off the oath has been used in court on many occasions. For example, a few months ago in Toledo a police officer sued for using excessive force. The police officer's oath and was brought up by the the prosecuting attorney. To claim it is too vague has nothing to do with anything. The oath is considered an informal contract which must be followed.

Also does G. Gordon Liddy specialize in Tort Law? According to his wikipedia he specializes in International Law. So he shouldn't have all the know how about Tort Law.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc