Jump to topic:

To the Libertarians

Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2014 9:17:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I had a few questions about Libertarians. What exactly is a Libertarian?

1. Is it the same as a Voluntaryist? Or perhaps it is an Anarcho-Capitalist? Or is it the same as a Classical Liberal? Or is it the same as a Conservative?

I would definitely say all Conservatives are not Libertarian. That is something I do know.

2. Can a Libertarian be a Neoliberal?

3. Who defines what a Libertarian is?

My question relates to what is appropriate definition of a Libertarian. These terms get a bit convoluted and confusing.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
YellowPandaBear
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 5:50:04 PM
1.Libertarians can be Voluntaryists, An-Caps, and Classical Liberals. It's really quite a diverse group. Libertarians can be conservative but this tends to be on a more personal level and not something they try to export via the political system to other people.
2.I'm not certain as to the answer to this one as I have heard two definitions of neolib and I don't know which one you mean.
3.Libertarians are defined less by a single person and more by adherence to the non-aggression principle though there are Libertarians who focus less on the NAP and more on an Objectivist like philosophy.
Kanti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 6:26:25 PM
They're conservative on financial issues. Low taxes or even no taxes at all. The central function of this practice is to minimize the federal governments ability to regulate the states by cutting revenues and shrinking its size. Regulation is really the key issue for Libs. I would say Libertarians are socially liberal or even progressive but likely only on an idealistic level. Yet again their central function is limiting the regulatory ability of the federal government so I think if it was the state government regulations replacing the federal government regulation they would be much more supportive which is why they're only socially liberal on an idealistic level. Finally, Libertarians are pejoratively called isolationist but really they're non-interventionist with is opposed to the neo-conservative/liberal practice of perpetual liberation oppressed people.
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 7:01:25 PM
At 1/18/2014 9:17:02 AM, Tophatdoc wrote:
I had a few questions about Libertarians. What exactly is a Libertarian?

1. Is it the same as a Voluntaryist? Or perhaps it is an Anarcho-Capitalist? Or is it the same as a Classical Liberal? Or is it the same as a Conservative?

I would definitely say all Conservatives are not Libertarian. That is something I do know.

2. Can a Libertarian be a Neoliberal?

3. Who defines what a Libertarian is?

My question relates to what is appropriate definition of a Libertarian. These terms get a bit convoluted and confusing.

I think you already know what they are but if not then let me help you out a bit. They're dreamers who are looking for a pie in the sky. They want the benefits of living in a country where all the basics such as paved roads and policing is provided but they don't want to pay taxes for any of it. They're nearly all discontented whiners who can't explain what they want when questioned on their agenda. And at least 1/2 to 3/4 of them have become libertarians in the past few years since Obama became pres. They will again decline to the fringe 5 to 10% after Obama and there is no object for their racist hate.