Jump to topic:

Big talk from Obama

kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 10:47:53 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I was reading an article in the Washington Post this morning. The article was based on Obama continuously calling out Wall Street Exec's about there absurd bonuses,and how basically most that received funds tried paying them back before any oversight could be done.

On top of that, Karl Rove had the gall to go on the Sunday Morning talk shows,and bash the Obama administration for being irresponsible financially, when in fact the Bush administration left us with a deficit that will affect generations. This debacle didn't just start with Bush, it just exploded on his watch.

My point is this, and I totally agree with the author of the article who said no matter how much balking and chest beating that goes on, little will be done. He said that most of the exec's that led us down this road, have basically been fired, and that although the bonuses are outrageous,that the folks who are due to receive them should get them with no flack.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 10:52:51 AM
At 1/15/2010 10:47:53 AM, kelly224 wrote:
Agreed although I wouldn't blame either president for the deficit, rather the congress who passes the bills.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 10:58:53 AM
At 1/15/2010 10:52:51 AM, Frodobaggins wrote:
Agreed although I wouldn't blame either president for the deficit, rather the congress who passes the bills.

Congress is a bunch of guys who care more about reelection than they do there constituents. It's often ironic how many campaign promises get broken, mainly because Americans have a 2 week memory.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 11:11:06 AM
I was reading an article in the Washington Post this morning. The article was based on Obama continuously calling out Wall Street Exec's about there absurd bonuses,and how basically most that received funds tried paying them back before any oversight could be done.

On top of that, Karl Rove had the gall to go on the Sunday Morning talk shows,and bash the Obama administration for being irresponsible financially, when in fact the Bush administration left us with a deficit that will affect generations. This debacle didn't just start with Bush, it just exploded on his watch.

My point is this, and I totally agree with the author of the article who said no matter how much balking and chest beating that goes on, little will be done. He said that most of the exec's that led us down this road, have basically been fired, and that although the bonuses are outrageous,that the folks who are due to receive them should get them with no flack.

Why should they get them with no flak? These bonuses were done essentially on the backs of the taxpayer-funded bailouts. It is individuals singularly profiting from investment designed to keep the entire company afloat, not just the executives. I could frankly care less what they do if they didn't receive these bailouts, but the fact that they did changes the game completely - they need to be held responsible for their actions, not passed without so much as a glance.
banker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 11:59:42 AM
well bush is a example why you can't be all things to all people..!

As far as executive bonuses is concerned on one hand it gets others to envy executives ,but this is the capitalistic alternative to communist labor unions..!
The security and stranght of a company is its employees, and if you want to have good employees you need to pay..!
However wall street destroyed the economey,if we need to save our nation we shoud send wall street bankers to pakistan they will do a batter job destroying all quida then the military
the most important source for muslim Arabs:

"And thereafter We [Allah] said to the Children of Israel: 'Dwell securely in the Promised Land. And when the last warning will come to pass, we will gather you together in a mingled crowd'.".

- Qur'an 17:104 -

Any sincere muslim must recognize the Land they call "Palestine" as the Jewish Homeland, according to the book considered by muslims to be the most sacred word and Allah's ultimate revelation.

Ibn Khaldun, one of the most creditable
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 12:21:31 PM
At 1/15/2010 10:58:53 AM, kelly224 wrote:

Congress is a bunch of guys who care more about reelection than they do there constituents. It's often ironic how many campaign promises get broken, mainly because Americans have a 2 week memory.

Fault of the Americans there. Besides ,appeasing their constituents is part of getting re-elected.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Scott_Mann
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 12:22:52 PM

It's the President's responsibility if a bill gets passed or vetoed. Ultimately, the President takes the credit or the blame based on how the economy is.

Of course, if a bill gets vetoed and Congress overrides it, then it's a different story.
The more posts you have, the less value they contain.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 2:01:58 PM
At 1/15/2010 12:21:31 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Fault of the Americans there. Besides ,appeasing their constituents is part of getting re-elected.

I see, just so happens to be around election season when they listen.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 2:02:43 PM
At 1/15/2010 11:11:06 AM, Volkov wrote:

Why should they get them with no flak? These bonuses were done essentially on the backs of the taxpayer-funded bailouts. It is individuals singularly profiting from investment designed to keep the entire company afloat, not just the executives. I could frankly care less what they do if they didn't receive these bailouts, but the fact that they did changes the game completely -

they need to be held responsible for their actions, not passed without so much as a glance.

America is the land of blame, just not on the right factions.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 2:04:19 PM
At 1/15/2010 2:01:58 PM, kelly224 wrote:

Some actually do some good work. I'm not well read up on American politics anyhow. Besides, if they didn't listen they would be crushed since in two clicks you can find out every vote they made on every bill.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 2:05:22 PM
At 1/15/2010 2:02:43 PM, kelly224 wrote:

Why should they get them with no flak? These bonuses were done essentially on the backs of the taxpayer-funded bailouts. It is individuals singularly profiting from investment designed to keep the entire company afloat, not just the executives. I could frankly care less what they do if they didn't receive these bailouts, but the fact that they did changes the game completely -

they need to be held responsible for their actions, not passed without so much as a glance.

America is the land of blame, just not on the right factions.

Without a bailout, they collapse and the market is depressed even more.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 2:05:26 PM
At 1/15/2010 11:59:42 AM, banker wrote:

As far as executive bonuses is concerned on one hand it gets others to envy executives ,but this is the capitalistic alternative to communist labor unions..!
The security and stranght of a company is its employees, and if you want to have good employees you need to pay..!

You have to pay people, but paying them an outrageous salary that most people will never spend in a lifetime is beyond me.

However wall street destroyed the economey,if we need to save our nation we shoud send wall street bankers to pakistan they will do a batter job destroying all quida then the military

Wall Street, and overzealous consumers who live way beyond their means.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 2:07:20 PM
At 1/15/2010 2:04:19 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Some actually do some good work. I'm not well read up on American politics anyhow. Besides, if they didn't listen they would be crushed since in two clicks you can find out every vote they made on every bill.

The public is like a mob, this is what ancient Romans called the general populace. The mob can be contained with fear (War on Terror), and through conformity.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 2:12:28 PM
At 1/15/2010 2:05:26 PM, kelly224 wrote:
At 1/15/2010 11:59:42 AM, banker wrote:

You have to pay people, but paying them an outrageous salary that most people will never spend in a lifetime is beyond me.

If you make a company that gets to wall street, you probably deserve that salary.

Wall Street, and overzealous consumers who live way beyond their means.

Which is responsible for the majority of economic booms
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 2:13:06 PM
At 1/15/2010 2:07:20 PM, kelly224 wrote:

The public is like a mob, this is what ancient Romans called the general populace. The mob can be contained with fear (War on Terror), and through conformity.

Conformity such as ABM syndrome?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 2:13:22 PM

I too don't like the way bonus' happen, but I think that Obama's "Fee"(tax) is a ridiculous excuse for a fix to the problem, which greatly offends against the idea of property rights which is one of the things which makes our country great.

I basically see that 'fee' (on people who've already paid back the money they got w/interest) as an attempt by the Government to steal money from those they blame (blame which is politically influenced).
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 5:43:10 PM

Why should they get them with no flak? These bonuses were done essentially on the backs of the taxpayer-funded bailouts. It is individuals singularly profiting from investment designed to keep the entire company afloat, not just the executives. I could frankly care less what they do if they didn't receive these bailouts, but the fact that they did changes the game completely - they need to be held responsible for their actions, not passed without so much as a glance.

If the loan is being repayed plus interest I fail to see how this point stands.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 5:44:09 PM
At 1/15/2010 2:13:06 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 1/15/2010 2:07:20 PM, kelly224 wrote:

Y'all is getting close to a quoting system fail.