Obama on pot

Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 11:30:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://news.yahoo.com...

Am I the only one thinking that the only reason Obama hasn't outright come out with support for legalization is because it would be political suicide?
kfc
MrVan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 11:32:09 PM
At 1/21/2014 11:30:07 PM, Koopin wrote:

Am I the only one thinking that the only reason Obama hasn't outright come out with support for legalization is because it would be political suicide?

No?
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 11:32:39 PM
At 1/21/2014 11:32:09 PM, MrVan wrote:

No?

What?
kfc
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 11:34:31 PM

I don't understand why he doesnt. At the very least it will excite the young crowd, lol
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 11:36:30 PM
At 1/21/2014 11:34:31 PM, thett3 wrote:

I don't understand why he doesnt. At the very least it will excite the young crowd, lol

America is close, but not completely ready. I give it 10 years before a president can outright come out with support.
kfc
MrVan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 11:47:40 PM
At 1/21/2014 11:32:39 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 1/21/2014 11:32:09 PM, MrVan wrote:

No?

What?

I was answering your question, and I fully agree with your opinion. It's hard to ascertain how the President actually feels about marijuana; though I personally think he probably doesn't mind it, considering he used to smoke it. He's also been supportive of it's legalization in Colorado and Washington.
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2014 12:31:00 AM
Here's a Penn Jillette rant from last year regarding Obama and marijuana. What kind of democracy do we live in that the last 3 presidents have all admitted to committing a crime represented by 1/6th of the prison population, but nobody thinks its a big deal?

Either marijuana is a terrible crime which president after president laughingly admits to committing or 300,000 Americans are unjustly imprisoned. The latter is the obvious truth.

We should not simply stand by and wonder at the political game. We must insist that a popular freedom with little demonstrated civic consequence be restored as a requisite demonstration of our freedom. American rights are not some subset of government grants. Rather, our rights encompass any activity that does not substantially infringe on the rights of others. We must not be satisfied that government may eventually allow us to ingest a plant that grows wild absent civil intervention. The government must be made to demonstrate the unacceptable harm of marijuana and when they fail that burden, forced to step off our collective dick.
ararmer1919
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2014 6:45:07 AM
I say f*** it. If the little pot smokers really want it that bad just go ahead and legalize it and then tax the living dog s*** out of ot just like alcohol and tobacco. And all those hilarious guys who still think legalization means they can grow and sell whatever they want in thier grandmas basement will be forced to get a pricy distribution/license or else pay some hefty fines. Just like with making your own alcohol. I think this would be a great way to boost the economy some what and it would finally get those pot smoking hippies to shut the hell up. Plus I can't wait to see thier faces when it is legalized and the price for it skyrockets ;)
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2014 10:52:12 AM
At 1/22/2014 6:45:07 AM, ararmer1919 wrote:
I say f*** it. If the little pot smokers really want it that bad just go ahead and legalize it and then tax the living dog s*** out of ot just like alcohol and tobacco. And all those hilarious guys who still think legalization means they can grow and sell whatever they want in thier grandmas basement will be forced to get a pricy distribution/license or else pay some hefty fines. Just like with making your own alcohol. I think this would be a great way to boost the economy some what and it would finally get those pot smoking hippies to shut the hell up. Plus I can't wait to see thier faces when it is legalized and the price for it skyrockets ;)

Because obviously that wouldn't lead to a complete boycott of the legal market. You can't kill the black market by introducing the product legally at 'sky high' prices - the infrastructure would just remain in place, and in fact, would just become an even easier illegal business.
ararmer1919
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2014 10:55:29 AM
At 1/22/2014 10:52:12 AM, Wocambs wrote:

Because obviously that wouldn't lead to a complete boycott of the legal market. You can't kill the black market by introducing the product legally at 'sky high' prices - the infrastructure would just remain in place, and in fact, would just become an even easier illegal business.

It would become no different then the days of bootlegging. That sure worked out well didn't it?
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2014 11:06:15 AM
At 1/22/2014 10:55:29 AM, ararmer1919 wrote:

It would become no different then the days of bootlegging. That sure worked out well didn't it?

Alcohol is fairly inexpensive as it is. It costs less than "5 to get blackout drunk (well, for most people...). Bootlegged alcohol is harder to smuggle and quite dangerous, and people clearly value the flavour and branding of alcohol greatly... and anyway, where's the moral grounding for this? Cannabis users are less of a burden to society than alcohol drinkers, for sure.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2014 12:06:24 PM
At 1/22/2014 10:55:29 AM, ararmer1919 wrote:

1 in 3 cigarettes are missing. That is, during transport, one third of cigarettes don't make it to their destination.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2014 3:13:49 PM
I say f*** it. If the little pot smokers really want it that bad just go ahead and legalize it and then tax the living dog s*** out of it just like alcohol and tobacco. And all those hilarious guys who still think legalization means they can grow and sell whatever they want in thier grandmas basement will be forced to get a pricy distribution/license or else pay some hefty fines. Just like with making your own alcohol. I think this would be a great way to boost the economy some what and it would finally get those pot smoking hippies to shut the hell up. Plus I can't wait to see thier faces when it is legalized and the price for it skyrockets ;)

Here in Denver, that is exactly how it is working. We can grow up to six plants per household after which we need a license.

The economy is suddenly booming. The combination of Bronco's playoff games and the National Western Stock Show amplified by legal weed has put a help wanted sign in every shop in Denver.

Prices have doubled, but that's good for everybody involved I think: slows consumption, rewards the entrepreneurs and rewards the taxpayers.