Jump to topic:

White History Month *

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 10:00:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hello. There was someone here at DDO, who thinks that White America should have a White History Month. Now I asked that individual why does he/she feel like it should be this way. His response was that Blacks have a free pass when it comes to racial discussions. And that we also believe that Whites are racist just because they are not allowed to speak about such issues. I realize that this is a very sensitive subject for some of you watching at home, but it must be talked about respectfully. You cannot just assume what Blacks are thinking because many of you still are clueless as to who and what we are about. I do believe that we should not have a White History Month because its just not necessary simply because the platform on which it would be built would be out of spite or envy towards minorities. What do you think DDO. =)
HPWKA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 3:24:08 PM
White History month is a dumb idea. As an Asian, I always thought of Black History Month as a way to recognize and "uplift" a community/culture that had been historically downtrodden and denigrated, if only for a "month".

On the surface, I see no such need for a White Holiday, and I fear it would be used by many to create tension for the sake of tension.
Feelings are the fleeting fancy of fools.
The search for truth in a world of lies is the only thing that matters.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 4:04:59 PM
I believe that we need a White History month.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 12:41:18 AM
At 1/23/2014 10:00:52 AM, inferno wrote:
Hello. There was someone here at DDO, who thinks that White America should have a White History Month. Now I asked that individual why does he/she feel like it should be this way. His response was that Blacks have a free pass when it comes to racial discussions. And that we also believe that Whites are racist just because they are not allowed to speak about such issues. I realize that this is a very sensitive subject for some of you watching at home, but it must be talked about respectfully. You cannot just assume what Blacks are thinking because many of you still are clueless as to who and what we are about. I do believe that we should not have a White History Month because its just not necessary simply because the platform on which it would be built would be out of spite or envy towards minorities. What do you think DDO. =)

True, it might be built (or used) for nefarious purposes, but I think a white history month or whatever might not be a bad thing.

I've always viewed Black History month and the like as a way for black youths to look around and say, "hey, look at what we did", as a sense of community and cultural appreciation. A way to be proud to be black. (I don't know if that's what it means anymore, but that is what I see as the spirit of it, to be uplifting)

In the same vein, I think a month of, forgive the phrase, white pride may also be in order. I think there is a lot of white guilt and animosity towards us honkies, that is largely unjustified. (not to say whites haven't done bad things, like slavery and the Holocaust)
My work here is, finally, done.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 10:40:02 AM
At 1/24/2014 12:41:18 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

True, it might be built (or used) for nefarious purposes, but I think a white history month or whatever might not be a bad thing.

I've always viewed Black History month and the like as a way for black youths to look around and say, "hey, look at what we did", as a sense of community and cultural appreciation. A way to be proud to be black. (I don't know if that's what it means anymore, but that is what I see as the spirit of it, to be uplifting)

In the same vein, I think a month of, forgive the phrase, white pride may also be in order. I think there is a lot of white guilt and animosity towards us honkies, that is largely unjustified. (not to say whites haven't done bad things, like slavery and the Holocaust)

Well the secret between blacks and whites is no mystery for sure. But it is what it is. And I am glad that we are far from where we use to be concerning race relations in this country. Thanks for your response.
rockwater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2014 10:04:25 PM
I think that white people have plenty of ethnic heritage celebrations already depending on their families' countries of origin, religion, etc.

I'm not convinced though that there is anything about Thomas Edison or any other famous white American that a white person can claim as his or her own heritage any more than a nonwhite person.

As for black heritage, women's heritage, etc, all of these groups have a shared history of overcoming adversity. Some whites do, too, but whites as a whole do not.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 10:29:47 AM
At 1/27/2014 10:04:25 PM, rockwater wrote:
I think that white people have plenty of ethnic heritage celebrations already depending on their families' countries of origin, religion, etc.
The only ones I can think of are marred by excessive drinking.

I'm not convinced though that there is anything about Thomas Edison or any other famous white American that a white person can claim as his or her own heritage any more than a nonwhite person.
And, what heritage claim can a black man make about Clarence Thomas, Harriet Tubman, Condelezza Rice, Michael Jordan, or George Washington Carver?

Perhaps I don't understand the value or definition of heritage...

As for black heritage, women's heritage, etc, all of these groups have a shared history of overcoming adversity. Some whites do, too, but whites as a whole do not.

So, whites have been on the cutting edge of dominence and technology. Explorers, inventors, etc. Why is that not to be lauded? You seem to suggest that, culturally speaking, whites were better since the other groups needed to overcome white oppression. It seems hypocritical to me to suggest that one group has more to celebrate than another, because, as a group, they fell victim to the other.
I'm not sure if I said this well... we'll see.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 11:19:13 AM
I realize that my opinions will be controversial here, and I am willing to take a lot of flak over it.

I despise the idea of "white History Month". It smacks too much of racism. On the flip side, I really don't like the idea of Black History Month either. I just feel like these things are a slippery slope to supremacism. I don't have an issue with celebrating ones heritage, but some people have a tendency to take things way too far.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 11:32:32 AM
At 1/28/2014 11:19:13 AM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
I realize that my opinions will be controversial here, and I am willing to take a lot of flak over it.

I despise the idea of "white History Month". It smacks too much of racism. On the flip side, I really don't like the idea of Black History Month either. I just feel like these things are a slippery slope to supremacism. I don't have an issue with celebrating ones heritage, but some people have a tendency to take things way too far.

Celebrating any race smacks of racism, and I agree, we probably ought not do it. However, I can see the purpose for children to learn about contributions made by other races as a way to combat supremacy. (why are there only white people in history books, it must be because they are best)

Why is white history inherently racist?
Again, the reason for allowing a white history month is because these history months are a source of pride, which suggests that whites shouldn't be proud of their heritage.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 11:36:36 AM
At 1/28/2014 11:32:32 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Celebrating any race smacks of racism, and I agree, we probably ought not do it. However, I can see the purpose for children to learn about contributions made by other races as a way to combat supremacy. (why are there only white people in history books, it must be because they are best)

Good point on this one.

Again, the reason for allowing a white history month is because these history months are a source of pride, which suggests that whites shouldn't be proud of their heritage.

I might have a very peculiar way of seeing things, but I personally don't feel like whites have a heritage to be proud of. Yes, certain individuals have done great things, and some of them happen to be white, but I just don't see race as a point worth mentioning there. Unless of course, there is a overriding reason, such as a person overcome racial discrimination as an integral part of their achievement.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 12:19:48 PM
At 1/28/2014 11:36:36 AM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

I might have a very peculiar way of seeing things, but I personally don't feel like whites have a heritage to be proud of. Yes, certain individuals have done great things, and some of them happen to be white, but I just don't see race as a point worth mentioning there. Unless of course, there is a overriding reason, such as a person overcome racial discrimination as an integral part of their achievement.

See my other post, but whites have created technology that allowed us to oppress others. While it is unfortunate we did so, the fact that we were able to, does say something about us, doesn't it? Like, we, as a people, are innovative.
I mean, it's not like Jay-Z overcame racism like Tubman did.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 1:35:33 PM

White history month is a stupid idea, as is black history month. Why do we need a month dedicated to the racial segregation of historical achievements? How about just plain old "history month"?

It really ticks me off when people's answer to eliminating racism is to make people more aware of the distinctions between races, and to bring past racial conflict into the present. Why do we need to be reminded that we are different? Why do we need to be reminded that our grandparents hated each other? You cannot move forward when you are looking to the past.

I am reminded of a scene from the Bulletproof Monk, where a racist Nazi organization was using a Human Rights Organization as a front for their operations.

Here is the script from the scene;

Nina (the Nazi): I would like to welcome you all here today. Please, pardon our appearance. As you can see, we're still under construction. But we wanted you, our most generous supporters, to have a preview of our new exhibit.
You see, out of the rubble that was Europe at the end of World War II, men and women of good will, people like yourselves, decided to build an organization dedicated to the prevention of human rights abuses all around the Earth. And today I am here to tell you we failed.
Thanks to all of you, and many others like you, we are able to continue this fight. This fight against hate, violence, oppression, and cruelty in all its forms.

Jade: Excuse me?

Nina (the Nazi):Yes?

Jade: Do you ever worry that some of the people that come here may be inspired?

Nina (the Nazi):I hope each and every person who comes here will be inspired.

Jade: I mean, inspired to do it again.

Nina (the Nazi): Oh. Well, granted. There are an awful lot of sick people in this world. But, thankfully, most of them don't attend our functions.

Jade: I have an idea. How about instead of showing atrocity, you do an exhibit that shows man's humanity towards man?

Nina (the Nazi): You don't help anyone by shielding them from reality. Tell me. Deep down inside, in the very bottom of your soul, who would you choose to be? The one about to be shot or the one about to do the shooting? I really must go. It's been a pleasure.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 2:18:37 PM

White people did a lot and the world that they should be proud of... If a black person can be proud to be black, so can white people.

I think every major ethnicity should be allowed a month of proud...
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 2:21:26 PM
At 1/28/2014 1:35:33 PM, DanT wrote:

White history month is a stupid idea, as is black history month. Why do we need a month dedicated to the racial segregation of historical achievements? How about just plain old "history month"?

That's even better. American History Month. British History Month, etc...

It really ticks me off when people's answer to eliminating racism is to make people more aware of the distinctions between races, and to bring past racial conflict into the present. Why do we need to be reminded that we are different? Why do we need to be reminded that our grandparents hated each other? You cannot move forward when you are looking to the past.

I am reminded of a scene from the Bulletproof Monk, where a racist Nazi organization was using a Human Rights Organization as a front for their operations.

Here is the script from the scene;

Nina (the Nazi): I would like to welcome you all here today. Please, pardon our appearance. As you can see, we're still under construction. But we wanted you, our most generous supporters, to have a preview of our new exhibit.
You see, out of the rubble that was Europe at the end of World War II, men and women of good will, people like yourselves, decided to build an organization dedicated to the prevention of human rights abuses all around the Earth. And today I am here to tell you we failed.
Thanks to all of you, and many others like you, we are able to continue this fight. This fight against hate, violence, oppression, and cruelty in all its forms.

Jade: Excuse me?

Nina (the Nazi):Yes?

Jade: Do you ever worry that some of the people that come here may be inspired?

Nina (the Nazi):I hope each and every person who comes here will be inspired.

Jade: I mean, inspired to do it again.

Nina (the Nazi): Oh. Well, granted. There are an awful lot of sick people in this world. But, thankfully, most of them don't attend our functions.

Jade: I have an idea. How about instead of showing atrocity, you do an exhibit that shows man's humanity towards man?

Nina (the Nazi): You don't help anyone by shielding them from reality. Tell me. Deep down inside, in the very bottom of your soul, who would you choose to be? The one about to be shot or the one about to do the shooting? I really must go. It's been a pleasure.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 2:43:18 PM
How about a 'Human History Month'. We could think about all of the good things humanity has accomplished despite the obstacles to progress that we face, like racism, sexism, and nationalism.
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 5:17:38 PM
No white history month shows discrimination against whites. I mean, whites are the ones who are discriminated against in today's society.
Ashton
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 5:30:01 PM

Not exactly. It's to celebrate overcoming racial segregation/discrimination. White people haven't exactly overcome anything nearly resembling that.

Oh my god no.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 8:38:02 PM
At 1/28/2014 5:30:01 PM, Noumena wrote:

Not exactly. It's to celebrate overcoming racial segregation/discrimination. White people haven't exactly overcome anything nearly resembling that.
That is a laudable purpose, but I fear it has since warped into something else.
But, alas, see below.

Oh my god no.

In preparing a response to this, I found the following link:
http://en.wikipedia.org...

There are currently "white" history months, and the ones I was going to suggest there ought to be (overcoming adversity). So, my case is moot.
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 11:19:13 PM
What the hell is white history month? Every other month except February is white history month.

Can we have the goddamn month white people? It's the shortest month of the year guys. We're not asking for special treatment. Its more for our own community to recognize what we've done in the past. And how far we've come. Remember slavery might have ended a couple hundred years ago, but segregation was what? 2 generations ago? It's still people alive today who still remember getting beat or having hounds sicced on them just because the color of their skin.
#BlackLivesMatter
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 11:40:59 PM
How about we do away with black history month? Isn't that the point of equality? The NO RACE is treated better than another or given special privileges over another?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 12:26:11 AM
At 1/28/2014 11:40:59 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
How about we do away with black history month? Isn't that the point of equality? The NO RACE is treated better than another or given special privileges over another?

I'm sorry. What privileges am I awarded during black history month? How am I being treated better?
#BlackLivesMatter
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 12:52:08 AM
At 1/28/2014 11:36:36 AM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Good point on this one.

I though the underlined was a very good statement.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 6:24:56 AM
At 1/29/2014 12:26:11 AM, Agent_Orange wrote:

I'm sorry. What privileges am I awarded during black history month? How am I being treated better?

I take it you're black. So, please be honest.
As a black man, what does black history month mean to you?
What do you get out of it?
Is it important to you? If so, why?
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 8:11:56 AM
I think all race history months should be abolished. They're counterproductive.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 1:01:54 PM
At 1/29/2014 6:24:56 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Nothing really. February is more tax return month to me.

But maybe my son could get something different out of it. Maybe he see that people of color can accomplish great things while oppressed. The Harlem Renaissance isn't going to show up in American history textbooks otherwise. Nobody gives a crap about Langston Hughes or W.E.B. Du Bois.

What I don't understand is, why the hell does it bother you so much? Do you really feel like our celebration of the past means we believe are selves to be superior? Have you considered that the only reason we even have Black history month is so that we don't feel inferior? It's not 40 acres and a mule. It's not a white woman and a turkey sandwich. You don't have have to do anything special. Yet it bothers you. That's fcking petty isn't it?
#BlackLivesMatter
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 1:33:38 PM
At 1/29/2014 1:01:54 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
At 1/29/2014 6:24:56 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Nothing really. February is more tax return month to me.

But maybe my son could get something different out of it. Maybe he see that people of color can accomplish great things while oppressed. The Harlem Renaissance isn't going to show up in American history textbooks otherwise. Nobody gives a crap about Langston Hughes or W.E.B. Du Bois.
And, isn't that a shame that they aren't?

What I don't understand is, why the hell does it bother you so much?
It doesn't really bother me that much, as I said before, the principle bothered me, but there are National Months for oppressed whites as well, they just aren't recognized. But, since they exist, my concern is alleviated.

Do you really feel like our celebration of the past means we believe are selves to be superior?
No.

Have you considered that the only reason we even have Black history month is so that we don't feel inferior?
Yes. I never said that was a bad thing.
Have you considered the effect of constantly telling people how evil another group of people are, both to the descendants of the oppressed group and the oppressors?
Do you think telling black children, especially those of parents who haven't told them anything of black culture/history, the horrible things whites have done to their ancestors is more likely to heal or fester any wounds?

It's not 40 acres and a mule. It's not a white woman and a turkey sandwich. You don't have have to do anything special. Yet it bothers you. That's fcking petty isn't it?

One aspect is incredibly laudable. Overcoming adversity should always be commended.
My question is: is it worth it? Is the way we go about it the right way?

As a black man, do you know the trials and tribulations of the Irish and the Polish in America? Did you learn that in school? They are nothing compared to treatment of blacks, but they still dealt with the same types of discrimination.

I think the origins of Black History month is good and true. However, I think what it has become is not valuable.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 1:44:23 PM
To be clear in what my objection originally was:
By highlighting specific groups (in this case oppressed peoples), you put in the shadow any group you do not include, thus making them even more silent.

Oppressed people in America at one time or another:
Blacks
Indians
Chinese
Japanese
Irish
Polish
Gays
Women
Various religious sects
Latinos

It's kind of like making a policy for anti-bullying.
If a kid can't pick on another kid due to sex, sexual orientation, race, or handicap, does that make it okay to pick on the kid because he is poor? Or a nerd? Or fat? If not, then why have the special distinction?
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 2:17:06 PM

Slavery was 150 years ago. The world's oldest person was not alive in 1865. Segregation's a little more recent, but the younger generation of Blacks would not have experienced segregation.
This doesn't justify slavery, but what many people forget is that the blacks sold fellow blacks to the slave traders who were white.
Also, if Blacks in the South could gain their freedom, then they could buy their own slaves.
And though the era slavery shouldn't be forgotten from history, do not think that the Blacks were the only group in history to be taken into bondage. Nor were the Whites the only group in history to take slaves. Long before the Atlantic Slave Trade people were being taken as slaves in countless cultures of various races throughout history.

As for the Holocaust, that also happened a long time ago (though there are people still alive today who lived through it) and the blacks weren't the main target of the Holocaust. I could be wrong, but I've never seen a picture of a black person in Auschwitz-Birkenau or any other concentration camp. Perhaps a captured Black American soldier would be put in a POW Camp or something, but that's about it.