Jump to topic:

Questions for anyone about government

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 1:09:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
1. Have you, personally, ever had a negative experience with any level of government (local, state or federal)? If yes, please describe in sufficient detail.

2. Has any member of your family, or any close friend had a negative experience with any level of government (local, state or federal)? If yes, please describe in sufficient detail.

3. How would you generally describe your attitude towards authority? Please do not feel obliged to be brief.

4. Do you believe that you always are in the best position to know what is in your best interest? Please do not feel obliged to be brief.

5. Have you, any member of your family or close friend, ever worked for, along side or as a contractor for any level of government?

6. What is your general attitude towards public service?

7. Do you believe that citizenship in a democracy entails certain responsibilities? If yes, what are those responsibilities?

8. Why do you think people work for the government?

9. Do you generally believe that people who work for the government do so with the intent to serve the public good or for some other reason? If some other reason, please state that below.
Tsar of DDO
TrueScotsman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 1:29:00 PM
At 1/23/2014 1:09:05 PM, YYW wrote:
1. Have you, personally, ever had a negative experience with any level of government (local, state or federal)? If yes, please describe in sufficient detail.

I personally have not.

2. Has any member of your family, or any close friend had a negative experience with any level of government (local, state or federal)? If yes, please describe in sufficient detail.

Not to any degree where I would conclude it was the fault of the government. More so other organizations took advantage of the government's policies and have hurt family members with it.

3. How would you generally describe your attitude towards authority? Please do not feel obliged to be brief.

Authority is important, and I recognize it and respect it. Authority is not infallible, and I am grateful to live in a nation that protects my rights to disagree with those authorities when I think they are in the wrong.

4. Do you believe that you always are in the best position to know what is in your best interest? Please do not feel obliged to be brief.

I don't think so, most of the time probably, but there are certain circumstances where I would concede I may not know what is best for me. The question is, can anyone have a better perspective on what's best for me? I think that's a question that will be answered differently depending on a person's situation. Portions of the poorer population might not have the best perspective on how to get out poverty, for example.

5. Have you, any member of your family or close friend, ever worked for, along side or as a contractor for any level of government?

Yes, my Father was a contractor who worked alongside Army intelligence. There was a lot of corruption in those organizations, a lot of greed.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." Totally for it, so long as the service provided is effective at achieving it's goals.

7. Do you believe that citizenship in a democracy entails certain responsibilities? If yes, what are those responsibilities?

Obey the law, pay taxes and do your best to vote according to your own conscience.

They do so for all kinds of reasons, one may work for the government simply because it's a steady job with decent benefits. Or they may do so out of a moral inclination to want to serve the community. Or perhaps they're a politician who is greedy for power. Hard to speak generally about people's motivations.

9. Do you generally believe that people who work for the government do so with the intent to serve the public good or for some other reason? If some other reason, please state that below.

I'd say that's right up there with people working for the government to pay for the mortgage.

Hope this helps,
TrueScotsman
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 2:19:53 PM

Not yet, hopefully never.

My father had a bad experience working with his Union at work (incredibly corrupt), but that doesn't really count as a government.

Probably pretty average. I'm not a huge rule follower nor a big rule breaker. I usually do whatever I want/feel is acceptable--my views just happen to match up with the de facto position of the governments effecting me generally.

Of course not.

No

I don't have a problem with it.

No

Money, power, a sense civic duty or more generally, a combination of all these things but for most people because it's a job.

Depends on the person...some people love power, even if it's practically nothing they cling to it bitterly and seek it. Others actually want to help, and still others have other reasons or are a combination of these.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 3:30:10 PM
Yes I have had more than enough of negative experiences with the government but a personal experience with the police stands out. I don't appreciate it when a police officer can take the time to seize my nunchaku or write me a ticket when someone is getting robbed somewhere else considering I live in a high crime area.But I don't have a problem with police officers individually more of how the institution is utilized.

More than likely. I can tell whole stories believe on the subject.

I don't have any antipathy towards authority figures personally. I don't like the abuse of authority though from whomever it may be.

No, I lack the necessary information to discern the best position. So I must make due with the limited information I am capable of learning.

No comment...........

I am not too fond of the concept of the "public." The concept of the "public" makes things behave in a very erratic manner. That is not efficient due to the wishes of so many which are conflicting.Possibly in a small country it could be more efficient.

No, a democracy is a low-brow form of government. I think that the responsibilities should be limited.

The salary and the job security seems like a reason for a number of people.It is fairly stable versus the private sector. I'm not sure why the majority work there.

The reason for working there varies from individual to individual. I don't think majority are interested in serving the public out of some ardor. I think they treat it as a job more so than as a patriotic duty to the country at large.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 4:09:46 PM

Criminal court seemed fine at all levels.
Traffic court:
Cops have been shown to be at best willfully ignorant of the law, up to and including lying about actions and law.
DAs can be bullies and apply pressure unfairly, but that is kind of their job.

Generally, I don't trust many to recant stories fairly.
So, no.

Cynical sheep.

Depends on what you are talking about.

My brother and grandfather was in the military.

Meh, it's overrated.
Also, it's often unaccountable, being a bureaucratic nightmare.

Yes.
Follow the law, be part of the process.

Generally, money, as in a paycheck.
Otherwise power.
For a few, a sense of community.

Not usually.
Some cops and some military perhaps, but generally for a job.
My work here is, finally, done.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 8:04:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago

Yes, I've been a dik to cops and they've arrested me for contempt of cop or in non cop speak "disorderly conduct", which in my opinion is a civil rights violation. I've also had a disproportionate amount of interactions with them, because I am a night owl and I also don't think the rules of society should apply to me.

My fianc" got accused of being on drugs while driving because her pupils were unevenly dilated. She is blind out of one eye, and given my contempt for authority and my overly protective nature, I am shocked this didn't escalate into me getting some hefty charges for beating a cop's asss.

Screw authority.

I don't even think the answer to that matters. It is unethical for somebody to impose their views of what is best for me on me and force me to act accordingly. The answer to the question is no, but I don't think the answer is important.

Probably

I am not against it, but they get no extra respect from me.

pass

Because they aren't qualified for jobs in the private sector

They don't qualify for a job in the private sector, or they are narcissistic and want to feel some sense of control over other people. The positions that this POV are referring to are those within the DMV, police, FBI, IRS, department of children and families, etc.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 11:13:01 AM

Well, the DMV. I'm sure everyone has been through that (long lines, rude clerks, and general incompetence). And of course police, who do jackoff things like suddenly lower speed limits in a way which makes no sense, then, lo and behold, speed traps pop up all over that road. Then there's PennDot, who allow our roads to disintegrate into what can only be called minefields around this time of year. There's a joke that for every one person who is paid to work they need to hire two to watch them work, and it's definitely based on reality, and a result of ridiculous public union demands. I've damaged several cares due to colossal potholes. So pretty much all local and state issues.

At one point I got in a really bad accident (totaled car, took our telephone pole, and crashed into an embankment) because this assh*le was parked in a parking lot on a corner with his high beams facing into oncoming traffic. I couldn't see where the road was and didn't compensate for the turn of the road severely enough and almost had a fatal accident because of that (only a sprained wrist, thankfully). The guy sitting in the parking lot had done this before, and was a big shot in the fire company (a real dick, he's having fire company dollars used to build himself an apartment above the station). The cops showed up, didn't pursue him any further (thin red line, I guess) and then the fire company tried to bill my insurance company for the pole, to which their response was 'lol, no.' I couldn't sue because people there were afraid to testify on my behalf because they knew that they would be harassed by local authorities if they spoke out.

Local cops here pull people over who leave the local bar, who are just over the limit and literally driving two minutes on back roads to get home. I know several people to whom this has happened.

Polite and cooperative.

Yes, definitely. I know more about myself than anyone else does, so I necessarily know more about how something impacts me more than anyone else does. Unless you're talking about a doctor or something, where I voluntarily submit to their opinion due to a disparity in knowledge, but the choice to submit is still my choice, made because it is in my best interest.

I work part-time as a clerk in the state run liquor stores. My brother works as a civil engineer, and deals with the government pretty extensively.

Meh. I think that a voter informing themselves is infinitely more of a public service than picking up trash on the side of the road.

Yes, to be genuinely informed, to be vigilant, and to vote accordingly. Most people fail miserably at these responsibilities.

Money.

Self-interest, in the vast majority of cases.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2015 12:24:45 PM

Yes--one example that comes to mind is that I've been treated poorly by police on one occasion accusing me of public drunkenness, claiming that my "walk was unstable," even though I suffer from a tracking disorder in my knees that causes me to not have a very stable walk. They didn't really care and also made something up about the report specifying someone "about my age," so...

Yes, a close friend of mine whose house was broken into (when they were there) called the police, and when they showed up they actually didn't believe him and his family, fining THEM.

Although I do carry some of the innate psychological predispositions to respect authority, I'm very repelled by the concept of authority for its own sake--luckily, most of the authority figures in my life I get along very well with because of other factors (amicable personalities, expertise, etc.). However, some authority figures (like police) I will only treat with the same respect as I do all people, and will only really recognize their authority when it makes sense. That is, for me, authority is entirely independent of reverence--I generally have no reverence for authority whatsoever.

Generally speaking, yes, I 100% believe that I am my own best advocate and expert on what's best for me. The only exceptions to this are those individuals who I specifically interact with because of their expertise--ie, my primary care physician, my academic advisor (and that's only with regard to planning), and, when I do see one, my therapist (both physical and psychological). And, even then, I don't view them as perfect authorities either--they're people who's advice and expertise I almost always try to listen to, sure, but they're consultants at the end of the day.

My father and my grandfather both served in the Armed Forces (my father the Navy, grandfather the Air Force).

I view jobs in public service as just those--jobs. Even for those who work as fire fighters, police officers, or members of the military, I by and large just view those as jobs that don't deserve any level of respect apart from what I give to anyone--and frankly, police and military jobs actually prove to be very problematic morally for me anyway, being fundamentally violent and coercive in nature. However, I usually temper this with my own optimism about why people TAKE those jobs to begin with (see below, I guess). So basically, public service jobs are just neutral to me.

Citizenship in a democracy, or in any form of government, for that matter, entails no responsibilities whatsoever apart from those responsibilities that apply to humans generally--to not aggress against any other individual, and to do all that you voluntarily agree to do.

I think that, for the most part, government employees join the government's workforce for the most genuine of reasons. I'm sure that most police officers, fire fighters, postal workers, military members, hell, even some legislators, etc., hold their offices because they genuinely want to serve their communities, protect people, help people, do the right thing. Do I think that they're fundamentally mistaken? Of course. But do I think they do immoral things intentionally, or at least with the knowledge that they're immoral? No.

See above. I do think most public employees want to serve the public good. It's just that they more often than not are doing it coercively.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus