Jump to topic:

Obama and His Executive Orders

ironmaiden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 5:23:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So what do you guys think about Obama threatening to bypass Congress and go through with all these executive orders?
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 12:10:11 AM
At 1/29/2014 5:23:13 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
So what do you guys think about Obama threatening to bypass Congress and go through with all these executive orders?

What the hell do people have against presidents using executive orders for management of the executive branch itself? There is absolutely nothing that has been stated that is in any way overstepping the boundaries of the Constitution, no matter how much Republicans want to spin it.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 10:12:23 AM
At 1/31/2014 12:10:11 AM, drhead wrote:

What the hell do people have against presidents using executive orders for management of the executive branch itself? There is absolutely nothing that has been stated that is in any way overstepping the boundaries of the Constitution, no matter how much Republicans want to spin it.

He didn't promise to use it for "management of the executive branch itself"... He intends to use it generally and without regards to Congress.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 10:15:18 AM
At 1/31/2014 10:12:23 AM, donald.keller wrote:

He didn't promise to use it for "management of the executive branch itself"... He intends to use it generally and without regards to Congress.

Literally all he can do is work within the executive branch. That doesn't even need to be said.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 10:23:45 AM
At 1/31/2014 10:15:18 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Literally all he can do is work within the executive branch. That doesn't even need to be said.

What he can do and what he wants to do are different things. The executive branch's influence is very powerful.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 12:15:55 PM

Then point out which ones you believe are offending. The ones I see are either memos being sent to government departments or benign actions such as hosting summits on various issues.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 1:28:06 PM
He never threatened to bypass congress on anything that he is not allowed to do. It wouldn't do him any good, because by definition he cannot do anything without the okay of congress. He is not stupid enough to pretend that he can.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
ironmaiden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 5:40:24 PM

It's not within the president's powers to bypass Congress. Otherwise there is no separation of powers. In other words, the president could just do whatever the hell he wants. The Founding Fathers didn't want that to happen, so they set up the government in a way that would prevent that from happening. Mr. President is completely ignoring that and just doing whatever the hell he wants.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
ironmaiden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 5:54:25 PM
At 1/31/2014 1:28:06 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
He never threatened to bypass congress on anything that he is not allowed to do. It wouldn't do him any good, because by definition he cannot do anything without the okay of congress. He is not stupid enough to pretend that he can.

He said in the State of the Union address that he would try to put in gun control laws through executive order, and that he would try to raise minimum wage through executive order. The Constitution disallows him to implement gun control, but he's threatening to anyways. It wouldn't seem like he can do so, but he's trying to. Also, hasn't he made executive orders before? During the whole Syria ordeal, if I'm correct?
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 6:36:50 PM
1) The Constitution doesn't prevent him from implementing gun control; it only prevents him from banning guns.
2) Congress also needs to actually do its job and not block everything Obama does just because he's a Democrat.
Abunai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 6:45:45 PM
At 1/31/2014 5:40:24 PM, ironmaiden wrote:

It's not within the president's powers to bypass Congress. Otherwise there is no separation of powers. In other words, the president could just do whatever the hell he wants. The Founding Fathers didn't want that to happen, so they set up the government in a way that would prevent that from happening. Mr. President is completely ignoring that and just doing whatever the hell he wants.

Barack Obama has signed 169 executive orders thus far in his presidency. George W. Bush signed 291. Ronald Reagan signed 381. Let's calm down here.

http://www.archives.gov...
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2014 1:29:25 AM
At 1/31/2014 5:54:25 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 1/31/2014 1:28:06 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

He said in the State of the Union address that he would try to put in gun control laws through executive order,

From transcript of speech at http://www.washingtonpost.com... :
"Citizenship means standing up for the lives that gun violence steals from us each day. I have seen the courage of parents, students, pastors, and police officers all over this country who say "we are not afraid," and I intend to keep trying, with or without Congress, to help stop more tragedies from visiting innocent Americans in our movie theaters and our shopping malls, or schools like Sandy Hook. "

This statement is a bit too generic to flatly state that he is going to go home and write up a batch of executive orders for gun control. It could be interpreted in a more charitable way, where he would be saying that he intends to support gun control legislation to the greatest extent possible, regardless of whether congress agrees with him. Saying that you intend to do everything in your power to accomplish a goal is not too unusual.

and that he would try to raise minimum wage through executive order.

From http://www.cbsnews.com... :
"Obama announced the morning of the State of the Union that he was increasing the minimum wage for federal contractor workers to $10.10 per hour."

Federal contract workers and how they are treated are matters that are well within the executive branch's control. Other than government contractors, nobody would be affected.

The Constitution disallows him to implement gun control, but he's threatening to anyways. It wouldn't seem like he can do so, but he's trying to. Also, hasn't he made executive orders before? During the whole Syria ordeal, if I'm correct?

Every president makes executive orders. It's part of the job. Some do it more than others. For example, FDR had a bit over 3,500 executive orders, while Obama has thus far only issued about 167. You seem to be treating it as if executive orders are a bad thing.
Wall of Fail