Jump to topic:

Government Enforcement of Safety

SkepticalStardust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 7:54:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Should a government have the power to prohibit things that aren't in its citizen's best interest? I'm referring to laws regarding prostitution, seat belts, disobeying evacuation orders, refusal to join a worker's union, etc.
I don't think victimless crimes should be illegal, but if you think they're either not victimless or that they should still be illegal, then I'd like to hear why.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." " Christopher Hitchens
ironmaiden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2014 12:53:49 PM
At 1/31/2014 7:54:09 PM, SkepticalStardust wrote:
Should a government have the power to prohibit things that aren't in its citizen's best interest? I'm referring to laws regarding prostitution, seat belts, disobeying evacuation orders, refusal to join a worker's union, etc.

Things like that should be left up to the individual. It is not the government's responsibility to tell you you have to wear your seatbelt. That's not what it was established for.

Rather, YOU get to make the decision whether or not you wear your seatbelt. Most people recognize the dangers of not wearing one. However, if someone wants to drive without one, LET THEM. It's their freedom, their choice. If they want to ride a bike without a helmet, risking the possibility of crashing and spilling their brains all over the sidewalk, let them. If someone refuses an evacuation, let it go. That's on them. Obviously, these things would be different for children, but adults are fully aware of the risk.

I don't think victimless crimes should be illegal, but if you think they're either not victimless or that they should still be illegal, then I'd like to hear why.

I could agree.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2014 5:16:52 PM
At 1/31/2014 7:54:09 PM, SkepticalStardust wrote:

Someone's 'best interest' is relative to your perspective, so no, I do not think so. That kind of justification could be used for all kinds of cruel laws, depending on what the government decides is in someone's 'best interest', a classic example of one person's opinion being privileged over another's for no reason whatsoever.