Jump to topic:

Marijuana Legalization

drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2014 2:12:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
In case you haven't heard, Obama recently announced that he plans to reschedule marijuana off of the Schedule I list, which contains the most dangerous narcotics with no recognized medical usage (including heroin).

This, in my opinion, is the best option that anyone could take. We don't know too much about marijuana, but we know that a lot of people have used it to treat things like certain forms of epilepsy where other drugs simply haven't been effective enough. The Schedule I classification makes medical research on specific drugs very difficult, turning its "no recognized medical usage" label into a self-fulfilling prophecy. Bumping marijuana down a few notches would at least allow us to better understand the substance, if nothing else.

What are your thoughts?
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2014 12:18:33 PM
I agree with this reform, it is a least a step in the right direction.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
rockwater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 9:43:20 AM
Can anyone argue why, if alcohol and tobacco are legal, why marijuana should not also be legal with laws similar to those we have with alcohol and tobacco?
TrueScotsman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 10:35:47 AM
At 2/1/2014 2:12:42 AM, drhead wrote:
In case you haven't heard, Obama recently announced that he plans to reschedule marijuana off of the Schedule I list, which contains the most dangerous narcotics with no recognized medical usage (including heroin).

This, in my opinion, is the best option that anyone could take. We don't know too much about marijuana, but we know that a lot of people have used it to treat things like certain forms of epilepsy where other drugs simply haven't been effective enough. The Schedule I classification makes medical research on specific drugs very difficult, turning its "no recognized medical usage" label into a self-fulfilling prophecy. Bumping marijuana down a few notches would at least allow us to better understand the substance, if nothing else.

What are your thoughts?

Legalize it, in fact legalize all drugs and add regulations and taxes. End the futile war, cut off the demand necessary for drug cartels to thrive, and give care to people who harm themselves with these drugs rather than incarcerating them.

Prohibitions of this sort do not work, and the effects and harm done on innocent people to keep these people from harming themselves is far worse than addicts overdosing and killing themselves. We need to alleviate our police forces from wasting time and resources on this futile fight, so that they can address real issues that involve people harming others.

So legalize marijuana, and while you're at it Mr. President, get moving to end this stupid war.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 8:58:04 PM
At 2/5/2014 9:43:20 AM, rockwater wrote:
Can anyone argue why, if alcohol and tobacco are legal, why marijuana should not also be legal with laws similar to those we have with alcohol and tobacco?

Because in 2008 the President was white. In 2013 when he proposed marijuana legalization he became black.

Pot. Not even once.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 9:23:16 PM

What are your thoughts?

Whatevs. It's clearly the right call. Maybe one day they'll even legalize it.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Grandbudda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 9:07:09 AM
At 2/6/2014 10:35:47 AM, TrueScotsman wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Legalize it, in fact legalize all drugs and add regulations and taxes. End the futile war, cut off the demand necessary for drug cartels to thrive, and give care to people who harm themselves with these drugs rather than incarcerating them.

Prohibitions of this sort do not work, and the effects and harm done on innocent people to keep these people from harming themselves is far worse than addicts overdosing and killing themselves. We need to alleviate our police forces from wasting time and resources on this futile fight, so that they can address real issues that involve people harming others.

So legalize marijuana, and while you're at it Mr. President, get moving to end this stupid war.

I couldn't agree more! We need to stop legislating morality and still protect all of our freedoms.
TheJesusParadox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 10:40:51 PM
Because in 2008 the President was white. In 2013 when he proposed marijuana legalization he became black.

Pot. Not even once.

That is a very vague sentence, but I think I understand the point.

President Obama is viewed as a black man and I do not think he wants to be seen as the President who legalizes marijuana. It could reflect bad on him and the black culture as a whole. I already hear prejudice people saying, "of course a black man would legalize marijuana." I also think I read something similar to that awhile back.

My problem with that thinking is two-fold: who cares what detractors think and in the annals of history nobody will care. There is no reason to worry about what detractors say when the President could make a huge difference for our society. Furthermore, when it comes down to looking at a common-sense evolution in our society nobody will care a black president legalized marijuana. In fact, it would serve to add to his legacy.

It would serve to add to his legacy based on the merits or marijuana legalization. Prosecuting people for marijuana related crimes is damaging our society on many levels. First, it is ruining peoples lives by labeling them criminals; making them essentially, underbelly citizens of our society. Secondly, it is causing damage perpetuated by drug cartels dealing marijuana. Those two things alone serve to make our society a more dangerous place. As security is a President's top priority it seems like marijuana legalization is a no-brainer.

That is just scratching the surface of the merits of marijuana legalization. There are so many more that those with more time can eloquently debate.
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 7:45:36 AM
No marijuana legalization. If so then our country will suffer in other stuff like education as well. Drugs affect the brain, and mak you act weird, so students would do worse in colleges and people in their jobs if marijuana was legalized.
Ashton
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 10:48:39 AM

What are your thoughts?

I would have to respectfully disagree with this. Legalization of all drugs can only end in more harm occurring. While marijuana is relatively harmless, there is real harm when using other drugs. If you've ever had a heroin addict in the family like I have, you would know this. A better solution, in my opinion, would be one that treats drug users not as criminals, but as victims of drug addiction, and which would provide drug addicts with the appropriate resources to overcome their addiction.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 10:54:52 AM
At 2/11/2014 7:45:36 AM, birdlandmemories wrote:
No marijuana legalization. If so then our country will suffer in other stuff like education as well. Drugs affect the brain, and mak you act weird, so students would do worse in colleges and people in their jobs if marijuana was legalized.

Most research we see shows very little in the area of permanent effects on the brain, as far as marijuana goes. In fact, I was mostly talking about legalization for medical use and being taken off the Schedule I list to open up possibilities for more research, so people who have rare forms of epilepsy could potentially have a new treatment option available to them.

I strongly recommend viewing this. It will probably change your opinion a bit.
Wall of Fail

TrueScotsman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 2:15:18 PM
At 2/11/2014 10:48:39 AM, drhead wrote:

What are your thoughts?

I would have to respectfully disagree with this. Legalization of all drugs can only end in more harm occurring. While marijuana is relatively harmless, there is real harm when using other drugs. If you've ever had a heroin addict in the family like I have, you would know this. A better solution, in my opinion, would be one that treats drug users not as criminals, but as victims of drug addiction, and which would provide drug addicts with the appropriate resources to overcome their addiction.

Harm that people inflict upon themselves. Sending addicts to prison is not the answer, and criminalizing the institution often prevents these people from seeking the help they need.

I actually have had a heroin addict in my family, who was also a meth addict and alcoholic, so please don't assume things about others as it will only result in you looking like a fool. I understand that the harm that the drugs caused, but these were self inflicted, and my brother needed help, not imprisonment.

Not only did it's being illegal not prevent him from using, it seems to be only a deterrent from those wouldn't participate in the first place.

How many people do you know that would elect to use heroin were it legal? Can't say I could think of anyone who would say yes.

Were it to be legal we could control the distribution and help people who want to turn their lives around by making available those rehabilitation services at the distribution centers.

Prohibitions simply do not work. While we want to prevent people from harming themselves, this kind of legislation fails to do that and creates a massive illegal market that is an international multi-billion dollar industry. If prohibitions actually limited harm and limited usage, then we wouldn't be the biggest users of these drugs on the planet.

I agree with you on your position being better, but it still isn't far enough as the cancer that is the drug cartels would still be thriving off the illegal drug market.

Not to mention the racial issues involved with the prohibition on drugs, which the data heavily supports.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 5:38:18 PM

What are your thoughts?

Why does anybody care if people smoke pot? Seriously, I don't get it.