Jump to topic:

The Super Bowl and Predicting Elections

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 12:29:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Now, I'm not jumping to any conclusions. There are plenty of different ways people claim to predict random stuff based on completely unrelated things that have happened to correlate over the years. I recall an octopus that could supposedly predict elections. Stuff like that is bound to happen at some point.

But the Super Bowl is probably more of a big deal than an octopus. And it can even be considered something of a political metaphor.

So it's interesting to find that the results of the Super Bowl are incredibly (but not entirely) accurate when it comes to predicting elections.

According to the legend, if an NFC team wins, Democrats will win. If AFC wins, it goes to the Republicans.

In this case, NFC has won. Which predicts a victory for Democrats in this years midterm election.

Lets take a look at the record. All the way back to Reagan.

2012 - NFC wins. Democratic win.
2010 - NFC wins. Republican win.
2008 - NFC wins. Democratic win.
2006 - AFC wins. Democratic win.
2004 - AFC wins. Republican win.
2002 - AFC wins. Republican win.
2000 - NFC wins. Democratic win (by popular vote).
1998 - AFC wins. Republican win.
1996 - NFC wins. Democratic win.
1994 - NFC wins. Republican win.
1992 - NFC wins. Democratic win.
1990 - NFC wins. Democratic win.
1988 - NFC wins. Republican win.
1986 - NFC wins. Democratic win.
1984 - AFC wins. Republican win.

11 (arguably 10) out of 15 is preeeeetty good. But 3 out of 4 of the ones that got missed are midterms, as opposed to presidential elections.

I couldn't find all the stats in one place, so I researched it myself the hard way. Let me know if you find anything wrong with it.

NFC wins have also been said to predict good stock prices. Among other, less plausible, things.

What do you think?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 12:41:15 AM
Another funny correlation: If the movie that wins best picture has a positive message, the incumbent wins. If it's negative, they lose.

There are many others. But I likes these two.

Before anyone brings it up, I don't like the Redskins rules as much. It's overly selective. The chances of being right every time are greatly improved if you narrow it down to a random team that you cherry-picked out of all of them. But that isn't to say there's nothing to it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 7:46:48 PM
What's the Super Bowl?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 12:39:19 PM
At 2/4/2014 12:41:15 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Another funny correlation: If the movie that wins best picture has a positive message, the incumbent wins. If it's negative, they lose.

Well the Seahawks are in the NFC which by this trend suggests the Dems will win the midterm elections, but does anybody happen to know if most of the nominees for Best Picture this year are positive or negative? Like half of them are indie movies that I didnt get a chance to see until after they got great reviews, so I literally have no idea if they are leaning towards positive message or negative message
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 12:47:18 PM
Why would you associate something as petty and meaningless as politics with the Superbowl?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 11:27:40 PM
At 2/8/2014 12:47:18 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Why would you associate something as petty and meaningless as politics with the Superbowl?

Because political parties and sports teams are both products of the same social norms that develop from the phenomenon of in-group mentality.

The results of sports events may not only predict but affect election results. As it turns out, there's some really silly things that can affect people's choices in the voting booth, including sports events, the weather, what their mood is and what order the names are written on the ballot.

Most voters are idiots.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
TheJesusParadox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 6:14:43 AM
At 2/4/2014 12:29:20 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Now, I'm not jumping to any conclusions. There are plenty of different ways people claim to predict random stuff based on completely unrelated things that have happened to correlate over the years. I recall an octopus that could supposedly predict elections. Stuff like that is bound to happen at some point.

But the Super Bowl is probably more of a big deal than an octopus. And it can even be considered something of a political metaphor.

So it's interesting to find that the results of the Super Bowl are incredibly (but not entirely) accurate when it comes to predicting elections.

According to the legend, if an NFC team wins, Democrats will win. If AFC wins, it goes to the Republicans.

In this case, NFC has won. Which predicts a victory for Democrats in this years midterm election.

Lets take a look at the record. All the way back to Reagan.

2012 - NFC wins. Democratic win.
2010 - NFC wins. Republican win.
2008 - NFC wins. Democratic win.
2006 - AFC wins. Democratic win.
2004 - AFC wins. Republican win.
2002 - AFC wins. Republican win.
2000 - NFC wins. Democratic win (by popular vote).
1998 - AFC wins. Republican win.
1996 - NFC wins. Democratic win.
1994 - NFC wins. Republican win.
1992 - NFC wins. Democratic win.
1990 - NFC wins. Democratic win.
1988 - NFC wins. Republican win.
1986 - NFC wins. Democratic win.
1984 - AFC wins. Republican win.

11 (arguably 10) out of 15 is preeeeetty good. But 3 out of 4 of the ones that got missed are midterms, as opposed to presidential elections.

I couldn't find all the stats in one place, so I researched it myself the hard way. Let me know if you find anything wrong with it.

NFC wins have also been said to predict good stock prices. Among other, less plausible, things.

What do you think?

I think you are on to something; the only problem is your research does not take into account gerrymandering.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 11:38:39 AM
At 2/8/2014 11:27:40 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 2/8/2014 12:47:18 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Because political parties and sports teams are both products of the same social norms that develop from the phenomenon of in-group mentality.

I just call it "pride." It is just as damaging when extended to a group as it is when it is used for yourself. My city is the best, my nation is the best, my church is the best, my team is the best, my family is the best, my company is the best, my school is the best. We seem to get the positive moral component (i.e., self-actualization) intertwined with pride and greed, which is sad.

With that said, Mr. Freedo, I have to tell you that the path you are following is a dead-end. To a non-football fan like yourself, you might find great significance in which conference wins the championship, as there are only two conferences in football and, at first glance, it would appear that you are either with one or the other. However the conference is one of the most meaningless categories there is. Team-affiliation is decided predominately by one of two factors: location and popularity. I like the Packers because I live in Green Bay. That is not a coincidence. The Cowboys and 49ers are popular teams because of dynasties they had at one point in their histories, and therefore have fans scattered all through the nation. Although there is a minute percentage of fans who will root for the conference of their favorite team when and if they are eliminated from playoff contention, this probably pales compared to the percentage of fans who will root against their conference because these teams were responsible from eliminating their team in the first place. In fact, you'll find that the closer a team is in orientation to your "home" team, the more you will hate them. Teams that are in the Packers' division (each conference contains four divisions), for instance, (Bears, Vikings, Lions), are despised by our fans with much more intensity than teams in other divisions within our conference, and teams in the opposite conference play us so rarely we really don't care much about them either way. So as a Packer-fan, I will love the Packers but hate teams within my division intensely, and hate teams within my conference moderately. Teams in the opposing conference, the AFC, are more likely to be liked by me for "getting even" with the teams that eliminate the Packers from NFC contention. For example, in the NFC Championship game, we had the 49ers and the Seahawks. Both of these teams have a bitter history in the playoffs against the Packers, so I wanted to see the AFC team in the SuperBowl give me the satisfaction of watching one of these teams lose.

Conference-loyalty is extremely weak, and in many cases the opposite effect has even greater influence. Putting that together with a complete lack of any connection between any particular conference and politics, I cannot further take seriously this examination. Hell, the most Republican-minded individual in the league (Jerry Jones, owner of the Dallas Cowboys) is in the NFC. He used to have George Dubya sitting on the sidelines during games.

The results of sports events may not only predict but affect election results. As it turns out, there's some really silly things that can affect people's choices in the voting booth, including sports events, the weather, what their mood is and what order the names are written on the ballot.

Most voters are idiots.

I agree with all this, but as of yet there is nothing to convince me that football has any connection to politics other than a statistically-weak correlation that most likely will even-out as time goes on. NFL conferences are simply an extremely meaningless distinction, as each contains teams from every area of the country.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 4:04:23 PM
i'm also curious to what it means by "win". The presidency? The house? The senate? What if one party wins the senate, the other wins the house. Is it a democrat win or republican win? One party wins the presidency and the other the congress, who won?
Open borders debate:
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 4:07:07 PM
At 2/9/2014 4:04:23 PM, darkkermit wrote:
i'm also curious to what it means by "win". The presidency? The house? The senate? What if one party wins the senate, the other wins the house. Is it a democrat win or republican win? One party wins the presidency and the other the congress, who won?

I'm guessing it means whoever wins more races, period.
My work here is, finally, done.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 4:17:16 PM
At 2/9/2014 4:07:07 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I'm guessing it means whoever wins more races, period.

i've always found that method almost always fails.
Open borders debate:
PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 9:20:45 PM
At 2/4/2014 12:41:15 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Before anyone brings it up, I don't like the Redskins rules as much. It's overly selective. The chances of being right every time are greatly improved if you narrow it down to a random team that you cherry-picked out of all of them. But that isn't to say there's nothing to it.

Really depends on what you define as positive and negative.
"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" -JFK
"You all stink like poo poo" - Rich Davis
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
"My heart is always breaking for the ghosts that haunt this room." -Nate Ruess
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 10:06:32 PM

My stats are based on who gained more seats in the house of representatives, except in years when there was a presidential election, in which case it was based on that.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 3:04:12 PM
At 2/10/2014 10:06:32 PM, FREEDO wrote:

My stats are based on who gained more seats in the house of representatives, except in years when there was a presidential election, in which case it was based on that.

Oh, glad to know you didn't try to base it off something in order to get your numbers to work out.
Open borders debate:
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 8:50:42 PM
At 2/11/2014 3:04:12 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 2/10/2014 10:06:32 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Oh, glad to know you didn't try to base it off something in order to get your numbers to work out.

That's the pattern I arbitrary stuck with because I realized it's what I was doing anyway, half way through. I asked the same question you did but not at first.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord