Jump to topic:

Smokin That Weed *

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 12:49:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Good evening. Now I know that this has been a rather hot topic all over the nation, and perhaps the world lately. But we are split on this decision. Nevermind the medicinal purposes of this here...... Almost half of the US thinks that marijuana should be legal in our country. Although it is safer than alcohol in terms of its influence psychologically speaking, it is still a drug. It can still make you high. It can however still kill. What do you think DDO. Should marijuana or weed, be legal in your neck of the woods. Tell us why then.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 1:06:27 PM
At 2/10/2014 12:49:52 PM, inferno wrote:
Good evening. Now I know that this has been a rather hot topic all over the nation, and perhaps the world lately. But we are split on this decision. Nevermind the medicinal purposes of this here...... Almost half of the US thinks that marijuana should be legal in our country. Although it is safer than alcohol in terms of its influence psychologically speaking, it is still a drug. It can still make you high. It can however still kill. What do you think DDO. Should marijuana or weed, be legal in your neck of the woods. Tell us why then.

Noooooooo!!!! It still alters the mind even if it can be used for medical purposes. It doesn't heal anyone. So I see no point?..
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 1:19:54 PM
At 2/10/2014 1:06:27 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Noooooooo!!!! It still alters the mind even if it can be used for medical purposes. It doesn't heal anyone. So I see no point?..

What differentiates it, to you, from alcohol, tobacco, and other legal but mind-altering drugs (including those available via prescription only), such that this should be illegal, but not those, and/or is it your position that those should be illegal as well?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 1:21:43 PM
At 2/10/2014 1:19:54 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

What differentiates it, to you, from alcohol, tobacco, and other legal but mind-altering drugs (including those available via prescription only), such that this should be illegal, but not those, and/or is it your position that those should be illegal as well?

Non of the above should be legal. I'm completely against anything that would alter the mind
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 1:24:34 PM
At 2/10/2014 12:49:52 PM, inferno wrote:

Well, I'm not a racist, so I don't have a problem with it. :P

All drugs should be legalized for recreational use.
This way the FDA can regulate it, including listing side effects and health risks and ensuring potency and clean drugs (i.e. weed not laced with heroin). Safer drugs.
Take the profits out of drug cartels and hoodrat gangs. Safer streets.
With it being legal, disputes can be heard in court. Safer streets.
With it being legal, the stigma is erased, and people with problems may seek help or at least not be harassed by pushers. Safer streets and people.
My work here is, finally, done.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 1:26:00 PM
At 2/10/2014 1:21:43 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Non of the above should be legal. I'm completely against anything that would alter the mind

So the government should have the right to tell you what you can and cannot do with your own body? How far does this extend to? Food?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 1:30:28 PM

What about caffeine?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 1:59:30 PM

But some would argue. What about people who eat fructose corn syrup in their foods. It kills more people than weed.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 1:59:56 PM
At 2/10/2014 1:30:28 PM, thett3 wrote:

What about caffeine?

Its not the same as thc.
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 2:04:32 PM
One would wish it was as simple as choosing a"*Anything that affects the brain X amount is bannable", but it's just not.

So many variables to look at, not least of all being availability. Alcohol is probably the most damaging drug out there in terms of the net effects caused (not in terms of efficacy), but it's so easily available that i's unlikely to ever get banned.

The world isn't black and white I'm afraid
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 2:14:10 PM
At 2/10/2014 2:04:32 PM, Sswdwm wrote:
One would wish it was as simple as choosing a"*Anything that affects the brain X amount is bannable", but it's just not.

So many variables to look at, not least of all being availability. Alcohol is probably the most damaging drug out there in terms of the net effects caused (not in terms of efficacy), but it's so easily available that i's unlikely to ever get banned.

True. But you do also realize that people are often locked up longer when they are caught being high on weed than being drunk on public.
Now why is this so.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 2:16:16 PM
Okay, so the three of you left me thinking...
"Good Times" ~ Max
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 2:16:26 PM
At 2/10/2014 2:14:10 PM, inferno wrote:

True. But you do also realize that people are often locked up longer when they are caught being high on weed than being drunk on public.
Now why is this so.

Enlighten us if you will

God most likely exists:
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 2:43:37 PM

Your opposition to psychoactive substances is understandable, from your puritan perspective; however, I truly believe that all people can appreciate that such matters are personal decisions that should not be subject to interference.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 2:45:00 PM
At 2/10/2014 2:16:26 PM, Sswdwm wrote:

Now why is this so.

Enlighten us if you will

Public intoxication. And being high on weed.
Now if Im a cop and I catch you with an open container of beer, verses about 8 ounces of weed, whos gonna stay longer in jail. =)
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 2:47:56 PM
At 2/10/2014 2:45:00 PM, inferno wrote:

Now why is this so.

Enlighten us if you will

Now if Im a cop and I catch you with an open container of beer, verses about 8 ounces of weed, whos gonna stay longer in jail. =)

Depends on how badly the cop, or you, needs his fix =p

God most likely exists:
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 2:49:06 PM
Oh, and if you Americans can just hurry up and legalise it en masse that would be great of you. I do not want to have to wait until every Brit currently over 40 dies to end this pointless prohibition.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 3:07:56 PM

Now why is this so.

Enlighten us if you will

Wouldn't the more fair comparison be an open container of beer versus a joint?
8 ounces of weed is an ungodly amount to have for casual use.
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 3:21:43 PM
Since there's second hand smoking, is there also a second hand high? For instance, if Bob smokes a joint and gets high, and Larry's in the room with him, will Larry also get high?
If this is the case, people would be getting high without their consent. If this is the case, then marijuana should remain illegal.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 3:25:34 PM
At 2/10/2014 3:21:43 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
Since there's second hand smoking, is there also a second hand high? For instance, if Bob smokes a joint and gets high, and Larry's in the room with him, will Larry also get high?
It's called a contact high, and can happen.

If this is the case, people would be getting high without their consent. If this is the case, then marijuana should remain illegal.
I disagree.
Freedom of association and all that jazz.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 3:42:57 PM
At 2/10/2014 3:07:56 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Now why is this so.

Enlighten us if you will

Either way it goes...............Most people would go in the slammer longer for weed than a beer. Ive seen duis get off the same night. And that is true.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 3:44:18 PM
At 2/10/2014 3:25:34 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I disagree.

I believe people react differently under the influence of weed. But not as erratic. However, its the impact of having a very spaced out culture in the sanest of places that gets me.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 3:45:17 PM
At 2/10/2014 3:42:57 PM, inferno wrote:
At 2/10/2014 3:07:56 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Either way it goes...............Most people would go in the slammer longer for weed than a beer. Ive seen duis get off the same night. And that is true.

What do you mean"get off".
I have known people who didn't go to jail for having weed in their car. They got probation.
However, comparing the crimes is difficult, since one is legal and the other is not. The mere possession of weed is illegal, while possessing beer is not.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 3:49:07 PM
At 2/10/2014 3:44:18 PM, inferno wrote:

I disagree.

I believe people react differently under the influence of weed. But not as erratic. However, its the impact of having a very spaced out culture in the sanest of places that gets me.

I think people act different on weed, too.
I think people act natural under beer but that is a separate issue.

The impact isn't that big of a deal to me in the long run, since I care about the legal issues of its prohibition, not the practical ones. For example, just because it is legal, doesn't mean a company should allow you to work for them.

For the record, even if weed were legal, I doubt I would do it. I've done it before and was like "meh".
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 4:02:49 PM
At 2/10/2014 3:49:07 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I disagree.

The impact isn't that big of a deal to me in the long run, since I care about the legal issues of its prohibition, not the practical ones. For example, just because it is legal, doesn't mean a company should allow you to work for them.

For the record, even if weed were legal, I doubt I would do it. I've done it before and was like "meh".

Out of interest, would you similarly support a company who chose not to employ:
A. Brown people
B. Fans of Barry White
C. People who had fathers with freckles
D. People with arachnophobia
E. People who enjoy rough sex?
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 4:10:46 PM

I disagree.

Well. Beer is still legal until it is abused and misused. You are considered a criminal just by having marijuana in your hand. =)
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 4:37:05 PM
At 2/10/2014 4:02:49 PM, Wocambs wrote:

I disagree.

A. Brown people
B. Fans of Barry White

Support is a strange word in this context.
Do I believe they should be allowed to not employ based on that? Yes.
Do I believe they should opt for said allowance? Not generally.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 4:55:04 PM
At 2/10/2014 4:37:05 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 2/10/2014 4:02:49 PM, Wocambs wrote:

I disagree.

A. Brown people
B. Fans of Barry White

Support is a strange word in this context.
Do I believe they should be allowed to not employ based on that? Yes.
Do I believe they should opt for said allowance? Not generally.

It just interests me to see the inhumanity of the employer / employee relationship.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 7:20:50 PM
At 2/10/2014 4:55:04 PM, Wocambs wrote:

It just interests me to see the inhumanity of the employer / employee relationship.

Explain.