Jump to topic:

Washington State Death Penalty

codemeister13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2014 2:03:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
So, have you all heard the news? The Washington Gov., Jay Inslee, has put a halt to the death penalty for as long as he retains office. Instead, he's currently looking to pass legislation that would substitute life imprisonment over the death penalty. Of course, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) is bouncing up and down in favor of the whole movement.

Personally though, I stand against this whole idea. While I agree with Inslee's statements saying that everyone deserves equal justice and that a death sentence should not be passed simply because of funding differences from county-to-county, I also don't believe it should be suspended all together.

So I'm curious. Where do the fine people of DDO stand on this idea? I'd be overjoyed to hear your opinions.

Sources:
http://abcnews.go.com...

http://q13fox.com...
A proud member of The DDO Pirate Party.

Employed at Derptasia Productions, a subsidiary of Totally Legit Incorporated.
Streaming daily at twitch.tv/derp_kip

Ain't no brakes on the cake train.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2014 3:18:12 AM
I'm not against the death penalty as a concept, but I also realize that the US government can't be trusted to put people to death.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
codemeister13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2014 11:19:29 AM
At 2/13/2014 3:18:12 AM, Korashk wrote:
I'm not against the death penalty as a concept, but I also realize that the US government can't be trusted to put people to death.

Our justice system does try its best to be fair though. While it's all too true, unfortunately, that there are screw ups, I don't feel like that's a reason for it to just be done away with. It's a shame that there isn't that trust in the government to make the right decision.

Grandbudda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2014 1:04:17 PM
At 2/13/2014 2:03:52 AM, codemeister13 wrote:
So, have you all heard the news? The Washington Gov., Jay Inslee, has put a halt to the death penalty for as long as he retains office. Instead, he's currently looking to pass legislation that would substitute life imprisonment over the death penalty. Of course, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) is bouncing up and down in favor of the whole movement.

Personally though, I stand against this whole idea. While I agree with Inslee's statements saying that everyone deserves equal justice and that a death sentence should not be passed simply because of funding differences from county-to-county, I also don't believe it should be suspended all together.

So I'm curious. Where do the fine people of DDO stand on this idea? I'd be overjoyed to hear your opinions.

Sources:
http://abcnews.go.com...

http://q13fox.com...

I don't see how a Governor can unilaterally strike down a law which is on the books. In my opinion no executive should have the right. It's the legislature that passes laws!
PiedPiper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 11:17:25 AM
At 2/13/2014 11:19:29 AM, codemeister13 wrote:

Our justice system does try its best to be fair though. While it's all too true, unfortunately, that there are screw ups, I don't feel like that's a reason for it to just be done away with. It's a shame that there isn't that trust in the government to make the right decision.

I think when it comes to the decision to kill a person, "screw ups" are definitely a valid reason to do away with the system. Of course, I'm also of the opinion that the death penalty is immoral (killing killers does not prove that killing is wrong), an instrument of vengeance and not justice, and of course it is not cost efficient (well documented that typically the death penalty is a much greater cost than life in prison). So "screw ups" are just one of my many objections to the death penalty.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 12:02:53 PM

I am only for the death penalty when the screw ups happen against the people who are in favor of the death penalty.

I always find it quite amusing how people can so causally pass off the screw ups as collateral damage, but if the screw up was their Father or Brother or someone they love they might have a little emotion towards it.
codemeister13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 12:16:42 PM
At 2/14/2014 12:02:53 PM, slo1 wrote:

I am only for the death penalty when the screw ups happen against the people who are in favor of the death penalty.

I always find it quite amusing how people can so causally pass off the screw ups as collateral damage, but if the screw up was their Father or Brother or someone they love they might have a little emotion towards it.

I would just like to say that I don't think it's collateral damage. I truly believe everyone deserves an equal opportunity in the U.S criminal justice system. There is an appeal process and I'd love to believe that every person that truly is innocent can make their appeal, be heard, and have their case ruling overturned. I'm not ignorant to the fact there is bound to be those that don't, however.

Even with a sentence of life imprisonment without a chance for parole, wouldn't we face the same issue of putting the wrong person in jail for their entire life?

slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 12:27:05 PM
At 2/14/2014 12:16:42 PM, codemeister13 wrote:
At 2/14/2014 12:02:53 PM, slo1 wrote:

I would just like to say that I don't think it's collateral damage. I truly believe everyone deserves an equal opportunity in the U.S criminal justice system. There is an appeal process and I'd love to believe that every person that truly is innocent can make their appeal, be heard, and have their case ruling overturned. I'm not ignorant to the fact there is bound to be those that don't, however.

Even with a sentence of life imprisonment without a chance for parole, wouldn't we face the same issue of putting the wrong person in jail for their entire life?

Yes, but one can be released from jail, as we often see happening with people who were incorrectly locked up. The other can not be released from death.