Jump to topic:

DDO Congress, Part I

progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2014 5:14:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
This will be a simulation of the U.S. Congress in action, with participants debating, negotiating, and finalizing deals comparable to those being debate by actual members of Congress.

Current Participants:

Democrats
1. progressivedem22
2. Wylted
3. Romanii

Republicans
1. Iannan13
2. Tophatdoc
3. ararmer1919

Independents
1. ClassicRobert
2. Noumena

From here, we simply need to finalize rules, find a topic, and begin.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2014 8:00:18 PM
At 2/13/2014 5:14:39 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
This will be a simulation of the U.S. Congress in action, with participants debating, negotiating, and finalizing deals comparable to those being debate by actual members of Congress.

I think just the DDO rules will suffice for our purposes.

As for topics, I guess a good place to start would be the Big Issues...
Gun Rights sounds fun... depends on if you guys want to do it.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 6:57:54 AM
At 2/14/2014 6:03:40 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:
Perhaps we should make a poll with possible topics.

I like Tophatdoc's ideal in the other thread for coming up with topics.
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 7:15:43 AM
Just wanted to reproduce his post here. Sounds like a good idea to me:

At 2/13/2014 5:16:28 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 2/13/2014 4:31:47 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
Excellent. I'll make the thread in the politics section. Before I do, though, there are a few things I'd like you all to vote on ahead of time.

1. Should I make the thread first and then start the voting? (If there are enough yes's, then just disregard the remaining questions, haha)
2. What topic should we debate first?
3. Filibuster?
4. Caucuses, or free-for-all?
5. Should we nominate a Speaker of the House? How would we determine which party has the majority or minority?

1. No, I would suggest waiting until you know the exact rules of the DDO Congress and the process you want.

2.Shouldn't we let the caucuses propose the topics? I am thinking we caucus once a week and then the leaders release the a limited amount of topics(2-3) to debate. Then we vote once a week on the proposed topics. There aren't enough people to have a committees. This is the process I am thinking: Once a week a caucus, once a week both caucuses release the topics on an agreed upon day, then the topics are debated(3 rounds or less with 48 hours), then once a week the topics are voted upon in the DDO Congress thread. It is less time consuming and allows people time to think.

3. No.

4.We can caucus in PMs(That should be easy) or a Forum Post(not preferable).

5. Yes there should be a Speaker of the House and a Minority Leader.
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 8:38:34 AM
At 2/14/2014 7:15:43 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:

Excellent. I'll make the thread in the politics section. Before I do, though, there are a few things I'd like you all to vote on ahead of time.

1. Should I make the thread first and then start the voting? (If there are enough yes's, then just disregard the remaining questions, haha)
3. Filibuster?
5. Should we nominate a Speaker of the House? How would we determine which party has the majority or minority?

1. No, I would suggest waiting until you know the exact rules of the DDO Congress and the process you want.

2.Shouldn't we let the caucuses propose the topics? I am thinking we caucus once a week and then the leaders release the a limited amount of topics(2-3) to debate. Then we vote once a week on the proposed topics. There aren't enough people to have a committees. This is the process I am thinking: Once a week a caucus, once a week both caucuses release the topics on an agreed upon day, then the topics are debated(3 rounds or less with 48 hours), then once a week the topics are voted upon in the DDO Congress thread. It is less time consuming and allows people time to think.

3. No.

I think we need to find out who the Speaker is and the Minority Leader. For convenience, I would suggest we follow the site statistics.

http://www.debate.org...

The Speaker should be a Democrat since 26% of the site's users identify as a Democrat.The Minority Leader should be a Republican since 16% of the site's users identify as Republican. The question now is who do we nominate for those positions? Then let us caucus to figure out what we are proposing and let the Congress begin with the two leaders proposing their topics(2-3 limit from each side sounds good).

I would also suggest doing a group PM if possible to make sure everyone is on board as soon as possible.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
ararmer1919
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 8:43:46 AM
At 2/14/2014 8:38:34 AM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 2/14/2014 7:15:43 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:

3. Filibuster?

3. No.

I think we need to find out who the Speaker is and the Minority Leader. For convenience, I would suggest we follow the site statistics.

http://www.debate.org...

The Speaker should be a Democrat since 26% of the site's users identify as a Democrat.The Minority Leader should be a Republican since 16% of the site's users identify as Republican. The question now is who do we nominate for those positions? Then let us caucus to figure out what we are proposing and let the Congress begin with the two leaders proposing their topics(2-3 limit from each side sounds good).

I would also suggest doing a group PM if possible to make sure everyone is on board as soon as possible.

Agreed. I think that we should just see if anyone wants to be speaker/minority leader to start off with. Does anyone here want to volunteer for those roles?

As for what to debate we should just go off the big topics section on the site. Let the parties each pick an issue amoungst themselves and then at a set time and date we present the one we want to do. Then between all parties we decide which one we do first. How does that sound?
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 8:55:04 AM
Sounds like a great idea to me. First, let's start a group PM with all of us to nominate a Speaker and minority leaders, and from there, those people will create separate group PM's with their parties.

I'll send out a message en masse in a few minutes.
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 9:15:42 AM
At 2/14/2014 8:59:09 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:
And it seems that a few of you aren't accepting messages right now....

You need to send a friend request first. Then once your friends, you can send a message.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 11:22:45 AM
At 2/14/2014 9:40:59 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:
Oh, ok. Sending out friend requests now.

I nominate you as speaker. I prefer to take a backseat (no pun intended).
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 11:54:58 AM
In that case, I nominate Iannan13 as the Minority Leader. He has had over a hundred debates, that is more than enough of a qualification in my book.
ararmer1919
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 12:22:43 PM
At 2/14/2014 11:54:58 AM, Tophatdoc wrote:
In that case, I nominate Iannan13 as the Minority Leader. He has had over a hundred debates, that is more than enough of a qualification in my book.

Second.
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 1:11:14 PM

Current Participants:

Democrats
1. progressivedem22
2. Wylted
3. Romanii

Republicans
1. Iannan13
2. Tophatdoc
3. ararmer1919

Independents
1. ClassicRobert
2. Noumena
3. tylergraham95

Fix'd ;)
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 1:28:05 PM
At 2/14/2014 1:11:14 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:

Current Participants:

Democrats
1. progressivedem22
2. Wylted
3. Romanii

Republicans
1. Iannan13
2. Tophatdoc
3. ararmer1919

Independents
1. ClassicRobert
2. Noumena
3. tylergraham95

Fix'd ;)

Sounds good to me!
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 1:50:30 PM
At 2/14/2014 1:35:52 PM, ararmer1919 wrote:
So when will these PMs go out cause I'm going to be pretty busy for the rest of the day.

As soon as everyone accepts the friend requests, so I can actually send a message. Iannan13 is the only one remaining, I believe.
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 2:27:27 PM
At 2/14/2014 1:50:30 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
At 2/14/2014 1:35:52 PM, ararmer1919 wrote:
So when will these PMs go out cause I'm going to be pretty busy for the rest of the day.

As soon as everyone accepts the friend requests, so I can actually send a message. Iannan13 is the only one remaining, I believe.

Oh, and ClassicRobert.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 3:00:28 PM
Going by the logic of percentages presented earlier, might as well make an independent the speaker. I mean, if only 42% of DDOians identify as dem or repub, the rest are independent.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 3:03:44 PM
At 2/14/2014 3:00:28 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Going by the logic of percentages presented earlier, might as well make an independent the speaker. I mean, if only 42% of DDOians identify as dem or repub, the rest are independent.

But at the same time, Independents won't neccessarily be caucusing with each other, so they won't have any members to lead, per se.
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 3:05:41 PM
At 2/14/2014 3:03:44 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:

But at the same time, Independents won't neccessarily be caucusing with each other, so they won't have any members to lead, per se.

Agreed. Independents aren't a faction or cohesive body.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 3:10:39 PM
At 2/14/2014 3:05:41 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:

That's what they get for claiming to be independent anyway instead of copping up to being republicans.
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 3:17:03 PM
At 2/14/2014 3:10:39 PM, Wylted wrote:

That's what they get for claiming to be independent anyway instead of copping up to being republicans.

lol I am not so sure. Tylergraham identifies with the Green Party according to his profile. I am not sure if he is really an independent in that case. But there aren't enough Greens interested in joining this for it to be some sort of three way party congress.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 3:19:54 PM
At 2/14/2014 3:17:03 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:

lol I am not so sure. Tylergraham identifies with the Green Party according to his profile. I am not sure if he is really an independent in that case. But there aren't enough Greens interested in joining this for it to be some sort of three way party congress.

I noticed we agree on 75% of things so I just assumed.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 3:22:30 PM

Nevermind I got him mixed up with someone else
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 3:24:29 PM
At 2/14/2014 3:19:54 PM, Wylted wrote:

Most independents lean left in the DDO Congress.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 3:28:24 PM
At 2/14/2014 3:24:29 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:

Okay, you win that 75% number can be misleading. Im sure all the independents would agree that Obama is not the incarnation of God. In my opinion that makes them Republicans.
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 3:31:48 PM
At 2/14/2014 3:28:24 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 2/14/2014 3:24:29 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:

Okay, you win that 75% number can be misleading. Im sure all the independents would agree that Obama is not the incarnation of God. In my opinion that makes them Republicans.
What? They are Republicans lol. Tylergraham identifies as Green. I think Noumena sympathizes with socialism or communism from what I have seen from his posts. I would assume they would definitely not be in favor of Republicans over Democrats.