Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Political Winds

bubbatheclown
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 9:14:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
There was an time in the cultural and national development of Western Civilization when the Political Winds that shaped our world blew to the Right.

This was an age of extreme Nationalism, an age of extreme Racism, an age of low-wage workers who lived without hope in factories, laboring for hours every day for wages that left them still hungry. They labored so their overlords may be wealthy. It was an age where society treated the poor ruthlessly, believing their misfortune to be their own faults, even when the poor were orphaned, malnourished children.

However, over time a few brave individuals fought against the Wind and caused it to blow less to the Right and more to the Left. Labor Unions of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, abolitionists, suffragettes and many other brave individuals fought a battle against the Winds and changed the fate of our nation. Their generation was a brave one, a great one.
When they were finished, the Winds of our great nation blew to the Center, and we prospered. The "Liberals" and "Progressives" of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries were Centrists.

However, those who advocated change did not know when to stop. Though they had achieved balance that caused this nation to flourish, they continued to push further to the left, so that the Winds left the Center and moved to the Left, a direction the Political Winds continue to move in today.
Today we have a large Federal Government that adds a trillion dollars every year to our National Debt, an accumulating mountainous debt that will be our inheritance to our offspring.
There was a time when the states had too much authority and the Federal Government was rendered impotent. Today the Federal Government's ever-increasing authority is being abused by those who despise the principles this Nation was founded upon. A Government that grows increasingly powerful will be our inheritance to our offspring.

Today, the American Conservatives are, for the most part, the Centrists. The flow of the Political Winds must be brought back to the Center, where there is balance. With balance we are the greatest nation in the history of mankind. Without balance we shall be but another forgotten civilization.

-Bubba the Man-Eating Clown-
HPWKA
Posts: 401
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 10:19:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Democrats seem to want to spend money on social programs that aim to help the country.

Republicans seem to want to spend money on bombs to go to war with.

I detest both parties, but give me the liberal option, as they seem slightly more inclined to reasonable behavior.
Feelings are the fleeting fancy of fools.
The search for truth in a world of lies is the only thing that matters.
RowanM
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2014 7:35:45 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
See this is why a two-party system doesn't work. You get two opposing groups who can't make compromises because they're practically polar-opposites.
PotBelliedGeek
Posts: 4,298
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2014 9:44:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/15/2014 7:35:45 AM, RowanM wrote:
See this is why a two-party system doesn't work. You get two opposing groups who can't make compromises because they're practically polar-opposites.

You actually can. The problem is gerrymandering. Because of gerrymandering, only party hard liners are able to get into office anymore. I think the most constructive piece of legislationt hat can be passed ATM is a reform of the redistributing process to weed out gerrymandering.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
rockwater
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2014 1:28:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Left and right have changed their meaning over time. Originally right meant pro-monarchy or pro-large landowners while left meant pro-free trade and pro-business owners. When large landowning families stopped having much power and the business owners became the new establishment, the pro-business parties became the right and the pro-labor and pro-welfare state parties became the left. This is an oversimplification because in the US you had Progressives in both parties in the Early 20th Century and the Democratic party did not fully embrace organized labor and the welfare state until FDR's New Deal. But this pattern is true in general for the US and in many other developed countries with free elections.

The welfare state arose in otherwise Capitalist countries as a compromise between labor unions or other institutions representing the working class and business interests. In the early and mid twentieth century, a much higher percentage of the workforce worked either in unionized jobs or, if not in unions, still as unskilled (meaning unspecialized, not requiring a significant technical education) labor in factories. At this time, working class citizens who became disillusioned with low wages, unpredictable employment, unsafe working conditions, little opportunities for education or healthcare, etc., were susceptible to Socialist, Communist, Anarchist, and even Fascist movements. World War II discredited Fascism in this country, and when Stalinist brutality became public in the 1950s a number of Communists broke away from the movement, but the New Left in the 1960s contained elements sympathetic to anti-democratic foreign regimes (China, Cuba, etc.).

In developed countries, manufacturing jobs have declined as more jobs have been replaced by machines and computers. Restrictions on free trade have been lifted so what manufacturing jobs that are left have also moved overseas in large numbers. Unskilled workers therefore, if they have been to find work, have largely done so in the service industry, which is largely un-unionized and very difficult to unionize. Labor unions, therefore, have declined in membership and power. People working in the service industry do not see themselves as "working class" but as "middle class" - often no matter how much they struggle economically - so the institutions and political parties that have represented working class interests and supported pro-labor laws and the welfare state have also become much weaker. The center-right political parties have moved from being moderately pro-welfare state to being hostile to it, and the center-left parties have become much more economically centrist while remaining progressive on social issues.

I don't think the forces that we have historically associated with "the left" are in ascendancy now - in fact, they are getting weaker and weaker. What is true, though, is that both the center-right and center-left in most developed countries are supportive of expansive government power when it comes to fighting crime and terrorism. So if you changed your OP to say that "statism" is on the rise regardless of whether the left or right is in power, I think you would be more accurate. Interestingly, the power of the state to intervene in people's private lives is growing the state's power to intervene economically is waning and non-state actors such as multinational corporations, loose terrorist networks, and volatile waves of online social activity are increasing in influence.
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2014 3:56:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/14/2014 9:14:42 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
There was an time in the cultural and national development of Western Civilization when the Political Winds that shaped our world blew to the Right.

This was an age of extreme Nationalism, an age of extreme Racism, an age of low-wage workers who lived without hope in factories, laboring for hours every day for wages that left them still hungry. They labored so their overlords may be wealthy. It was an age where society treated the poor ruthlessly, believing their misfortune to be their own faults, even when the poor were orphaned, malnourished children.

However, over time a few brave individuals fought against the Wind and caused it to blow less to the Right and more to the Left. Labor Unions of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, abolitionists, suffragettes and many other brave individuals fought a battle against the Winds and changed the fate of our nation. Their generation was a brave one, a great one.
When they were finished, the Winds of our great nation blew to the Center, and we prospered. The "Liberals" and "Progressives" of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries were Centrists.

However, those who advocated change did not know when to stop. Though they had achieved balance that caused this nation to flourish, they continued to push further to the left, so that the Winds left the Center and moved to the Left, a direction the Political Winds continue to move in today.
Today we have a large Federal Government that adds a trillion dollars every year to our National Debt, an accumulating mountainous debt that will be our inheritance to our offspring.
There was a time when the states had too much authority and the Federal Government was rendered impotent. Today the Federal Government's ever-increasing authority is being abused by those who despise the principles this Nation was founded upon. A Government that grows increasingly powerful will be our inheritance to our offspring.

Today, the American Conservatives are, for the most part, the Centrists. The flow of the Political Winds must be brought back to the Center, where there is balance. With balance we are the greatest nation in the history of mankind. Without balance we shall be but another forgotten civilization.

-Bubba the Man-Eating Clown-

http://infographicality.com...

I'd have to disagree with your idea of what the center is. Most liberals in the US tend to try to push for a mixed economy with a moderate amount of government intervention (and of those in office right now, I'd wager that 3/4 don't cross this line). By international standards, this is nowhere near socialist. If you want to see socialist, look at France with its 75% income tax and rather impressive health care system. Even then, one can go even further left - look at North Korea, which has its resources fully managed by the state, and which dedicates a large part of them to the worship of its leader. Now, many who claim to be conservative seem to oppose most regulations and seem openly hostile to a lot of social programs, and are willing to do a lot to eliminate these things. This sounds a bit further right than it is center.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2014 10:53:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/14/2014 9:14:42 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
There was an time in the cultural and national development of Western Civilization when the Political Winds that shaped our world blew to the Right.

This was an age of extreme Nationalism, an age of extreme Racism, an age of low-wage workers who lived without hope in factories, laboring for hours every day for wages that left them still hungry. They labored so their overlords may be wealthy. It was an age where society treated the poor ruthlessly, believing their misfortune to be their own faults, even when the poor were orphaned, malnourished children.

However, over time a few brave individuals fought against the Wind and caused it to blow less to the Right and more to the Left. Labor Unions of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, abolitionists, suffragettes and many other brave individuals fought a battle against the Winds and changed the fate of our nation. Their generation was a brave one, a great one.
When they were finished, the Winds of our great nation blew to the Center, and we prospered. The "Liberals" and "Progressives" of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries were Centrists.

However, those who advocated change did not know when to stop. Though they had achieved balance that caused this nation to flourish, they continued to push further to the left, so that the Winds left the Center and moved to the Left, a direction the Political Winds continue to move in today.
Today we have a large Federal Government that adds a trillion dollars every year to our National Debt, an accumulating mountainous debt that will be our inheritance to our offspring.
There was a time when the states had too much authority and the Federal Government was rendered impotent. Today the Federal Government's ever-increasing authority is being abused by those who despise the principles this Nation was founded upon. A Government that grows increasingly powerful will be our inheritance to our offspring.

Today, the American Conservatives are, for the most part, the Centrists. The flow of the Political Winds must be brought back to the Center, where there is balance. With balance we are the greatest nation in the history of mankind. Without balance we shall be but another forgotten civilization.

-Bubba the Man-Eating Clown-

What an uncompelling narrative you've conjured.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Wocambs
Posts: 1,505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 11:47:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/15/2014 7:35:45 AM, RowanM wrote:
See this is why a two-party system doesn't work. You get two opposing groups who can't make compromises because they're practically polar-opposites.

Practically polar opposite, you say? I think you'll find that almost all of them can be described as right-wing authoritarians, which is certainly true in the UK. You've got a choice between more social investment, 'progressive' culture, or less social investment, 'conservative' culture. If they were any more similar the only debates they would have would be whether the walls should be painted cream or white in schools.
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 11:59:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/14/2014 9:14:42 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
There was an time in the cultural and national development of Western Civilization when the Political Winds that shaped our world blew to the Right.

This was an age of extreme Nationalism, an age of extreme Racism, an age of low-wage workers who lived without hope in factories, laboring for hours every day for wages that left them still hungry. They labored so their overlords may be wealthy. It was an age where society treated the poor ruthlessly, believing their misfortune to be their own faults, even when the poor were orphaned, malnourished children.

However, over time a few brave individuals fought against the Wind and caused it to blow less to the Right and more to the Left. Labor Unions of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, abolitionists, suffragettes and many other brave individuals fought a battle against the Winds and changed the fate of our nation. Their generation was a brave one, a great one.
When they were finished, the Winds of our great nation blew to the Center, and we prospered. The "Liberals" and "Progressives" of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries were Centrists.

I agree with everything above this line. I disagree with your view of where the center is in the next paragraphs. You didn't convince me.

However, those who advocated change did not know when to stop. Though they had achieved balance that caused this nation to flourish, they continued to push further to the left, so that the Winds left the Center and moved to the Left, a direction the Political Winds continue to move in today.
Today we have a large Federal Government that adds a trillion dollars every year to our National Debt, an accumulating mountainous debt that will be our inheritance to our offspring.
There was a time when the states had too much authority and the Federal Government was rendered impotent. Today the Federal Government's ever-increasing authority is being abused by those who despise the principles this Nation was founded upon. A Government that grows increasingly powerful will be our inheritance to our offspring.

Today, the American Conservatives are, for the most part, the Centrists. The flow of the Political Winds must be brought back to the Center, where there is balance. With balance we are the greatest nation in the history of mankind. Without balance we shall be but another forgotten civilization.

-Bubba the Man-Eating Clown-
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 12:01:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Many of today's conservatives do not represent a safe, viable middle political ground. In fact, I perceive the extremes at either end of the political spectrum as destructive to our nation!
bubbatheclown
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 12:10:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/15/2014 10:53:42 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/14/2014 9:14:42 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
There was an time in the cultural and national development of Western Civilization when the Political Winds that shaped our world blew to the Right.

This was an age of extreme Nationalism, an age of extreme Racism, an age of low-wage workers who lived without hope in factories, laboring for hours every day for wages that left them still hungry. They labored so their overlords may be wealthy. It was an age where society treated the poor ruthlessly, believing their misfortune to be their own faults, even when the poor were orphaned, malnourished children.

However, over time a few brave individuals fought against the Wind and caused it to blow less to the Right and more to the Left. Labor Unions of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, abolitionists, suffragettes and many other brave individuals fought a battle against the Winds and changed the fate of our nation. Their generation was a brave one, a great one.
When they were finished, the Winds of our great nation blew to the Center, and we prospered. The "Liberals" and "Progressives" of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries were Centrists.

However, those who advocated change did not know when to stop. Though they had achieved balance that caused this nation to flourish, they continued to push further to the left, so that the Winds left the Center and moved to the Left, a direction the Political Winds continue to move in today.
Today we have a large Federal Government that adds a trillion dollars every year to our National Debt, an accumulating mountainous debt that will be our inheritance to our offspring.
There was a time when the states had too much authority and the Federal Government was rendered impotent. Today the Federal Government's ever-increasing authority is being abused by those who despise the principles this Nation was founded upon. A Government that grows increasingly powerful will be our inheritance to our offspring.

Today, the American Conservatives are, for the most part, the Centrists. The flow of the Political Winds must be brought back to the Center, where there is balance. With balance we are the greatest nation in the history of mankind. Without balance we shall be but another forgotten civilization.

-Bubba the Man-Eating Clown-

What an uncompelling narrative you've conjured.

Cool. By the way, it's your turn to present your candidacy.
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 12:32:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 12:10:47 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
At 2/15/2014 10:53:42 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/14/2014 9:14:42 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
There was an time in the cultural and national development of Western Civilization when the Political Winds that shaped our world blew to the Right.

This was an age of extreme Nationalism, an age of extreme Racism, an age of low-wage workers who lived without hope in factories, laboring for hours every day for wages that left them still hungry. They labored so their overlords may be wealthy. It was an age where society treated the poor ruthlessly, believing their misfortune to be their own faults, even when the poor were orphaned, malnourished children.

However, over time a few brave individuals fought against the Wind and caused it to blow less to the Right and more to the Left. Labor Unions of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, abolitionists, suffragettes and many other brave individuals fought a battle against the Winds and changed the fate of our nation. Their generation was a brave one, a great one.
When they were finished, the Winds of our great nation blew to the Center, and we prospered. The "Liberals" and "Progressives" of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries were Centrists.

However, those who advocated change did not know when to stop. Though they had achieved balance that caused this nation to flourish, they continued to push further to the left, so that the Winds left the Center and moved to the Left, a direction the Political Winds continue to move in today.
Today we have a large Federal Government that adds a trillion dollars every year to our National Debt, an accumulating mountainous debt that will be our inheritance to our offspring.
There was a time when the states had too much authority and the Federal Government was rendered impotent. Today the Federal Government's ever-increasing authority is being abused by those who despise the principles this Nation was founded upon. A Government that grows increasingly powerful will be our inheritance to our offspring.

Today, the American Conservatives are, for the most part, the Centrists. The flow of the Political Winds must be brought back to the Center, where there is balance. With balance we are the greatest nation in the history of mankind. Without balance we shall be but another forgotten civilization.

-Bubba the Man-Eating Clown-

What an uncompelling narrative you've conjured.

Cool. By the way, it's your turn to present your candidacy.

I'm dropping out hombre.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
bubbatheclown
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 12:35:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 12:32:22 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/16/2014 12:10:47 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
At 2/15/2014 10:53:42 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/14/2014 9:14:42 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
There was an time in the cultural and national development of Western Civilization when the Political Winds that shaped our world blew to the Right.

This was an age of extreme Nationalism, an age of extreme Racism, an age of low-wage workers who lived without hope in factories, laboring for hours every day for wages that left them still hungry. They labored so their overlords may be wealthy. It was an age where society treated the poor ruthlessly, believing their misfortune to be their own faults, even when the poor were orphaned, malnourished children.

However, over time a few brave individuals fought against the Wind and caused it to blow less to the Right and more to the Left. Labor Unions of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, abolitionists, suffragettes and many other brave individuals fought a battle against the Winds and changed the fate of our nation. Their generation was a brave one, a great one.
When they were finished, the Winds of our great nation blew to the Center, and we prospered. The "Liberals" and "Progressives" of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries were Centrists.

However, those who advocated change did not know when to stop. Though they had achieved balance that caused this nation to flourish, they continued to push further to the left, so that the Winds left the Center and moved to the Left, a direction the Political Winds continue to move in today.
Today we have a large Federal Government that adds a trillion dollars every year to our National Debt, an accumulating mountainous debt that will be our inheritance to our offspring.
There was a time when the states had too much authority and the Federal Government was rendered impotent. Today the Federal Government's ever-increasing authority is being abused by those who despise the principles this Nation was founded upon. A Government that grows increasingly powerful will be our inheritance to our offspring.

Today, the American Conservatives are, for the most part, the Centrists. The flow of the Political Winds must be brought back to the Center, where there is balance. With balance we are the greatest nation in the history of mankind. Without balance we shall be but another forgotten civilization.

-Bubba the Man-Eating Clown-

What an uncompelling narrative you've conjured.

Cool. By the way, it's your turn to present your candidacy.

I'm dropping out hombre.

All right then. Thank you for informing me.
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 1:52:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 12:01:32 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
Many of today's conservatives do not represent a safe, viable middle political ground. In fact, I perceive the extremes at either end of the political spectrum as destructive to our nation!

What extremes?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 1:59:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 1:52:57 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/16/2014 12:01:32 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
Many of today's conservatives do not represent a safe, viable middle political ground. In fact, I perceive the extremes at either end of the political spectrum as destructive to our nation!

What extremes?

Here are some examples:

"Global warming is not happening so we should do nothing about it."
"The rich should not be taxed because essentially this is taxing success."
"Minimum wage should not exist. Minimum wage is wrong."
"All drugs should be legalized. Who cares what people do to their own bodies?!" (Ignoring how drug use effects everyone else.)
"Guns kill people. All guns should therefore be outlawed."
"The U.S. should be back on the gold standard."
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 2:02:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 1:59:25 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
At 2/16/2014 1:52:57 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/16/2014 12:01:32 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
Many of today's conservatives do not represent a safe, viable middle political ground. In fact, I perceive the extremes at either end of the political spectrum as destructive to our nation!

What extremes?

Here are some examples:

"Global warming is not happening so we should do nothing about it."
"The rich should not be taxed because essentially this is taxing success."
"Minimum wage should not exist. Minimum wage is wrong."
"All drugs should be legalized. Who cares what people do to their own bodies?!" (Ignoring how drug use effects everyone else.)
"Guns kill people. All guns should therefore be outlawed."
"The U.S. should be back on the gold standard."

All of these positions are extremist, impractical ( and therefore useless ) positions!

There are many more positions that belong on this list.
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 2:06:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 1:59:25 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
At 2/16/2014 1:52:57 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/16/2014 12:01:32 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
Many of today's conservatives do not represent a safe, viable middle political ground. In fact, I perceive the extremes at either end of the political spectrum as destructive to our nation!

What extremes?

Here are some examples:

"Global warming is not happening so we should do nothing about it."
"The rich should not be taxed because essentially this is taxing success."
"Minimum wage should not exist. Minimum wage is wrong."
"All drugs should be legalized. Who cares what people do to their own bodies?!" (Ignoring how drug use effects everyone else.)
"Guns kill people. All guns should therefore be outlawed."
"The U.S. should be back on the gold standard."

You think these are extremes?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 2:09:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 2:06:20 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/16/2014 1:59:25 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
At 2/16/2014 1:52:57 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/16/2014 12:01:32 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
Many of today's conservatives do not represent a safe, viable middle political ground. In fact, I perceive the extremes at either end of the political spectrum as destructive to our nation!

What extremes?

Here are some examples:

"Global warming is not happening so we should do nothing about it."
"The rich should not be taxed because essentially this is taxing success."
"Minimum wage should not exist. Minimum wage is wrong."
"All drugs should be legalized. Who cares what people do to their own bodies?!" (Ignoring how drug use effects everyone else.)
"Guns kill people. All guns should therefore be outlawed."
"The U.S. should be back on the gold standard."

You think these are extremes?

Yes, they are extremes. Most of these standpoints are potentially destructive, too!

I don't care what philosophy people hold. A political position only has value if it provides some useful benefit to life, to a community.

Ignoring the peril of global warming provides no benefit!
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 2:11:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
From my observations, many political positions and philosophies are about as useless as some religious perspectives. They don't contribute any tangible benefit to humankind.
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 2:18:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 2:09:53 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
At 2/16/2014 2:06:20 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/16/2014 1:59:25 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
At 2/16/2014 1:52:57 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/16/2014 12:01:32 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
Many of today's conservatives do not represent a safe, viable middle political ground. In fact, I perceive the extremes at either end of the political spectrum as destructive to our nation!

What extremes?

Here are some examples:

"Global warming is not happening so we should do nothing about it."
"The rich should not be taxed because essentially this is taxing success."
"Minimum wage should not exist. Minimum wage is wrong."
"All drugs should be legalized. Who cares what people do to their own bodies?!" (Ignoring how drug use effects everyone else.)
"Guns kill people. All guns should therefore be outlawed."
"The U.S. should be back on the gold standard."

You think these are extremes?

Yes, they are extremes.

Why?

Most of these standpoints are potentially destructive, too!

Clearly. But why does that makes them extreme?

I don't care what philosophy people hold. A political position only has value if it provides some useful benefit to life, to a community.

That's interesting (false of course) yet irrelevant.

Ignoring the peril of global warming provides no benefit!

Perhaps you could (abstractly) define what makes an opinion "extreme" in yer view.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.