Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Affirmative Action ?

comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2010 4:01:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Use critical thinking and come up with your positions and why?

Lets learn and share.

Critical Thinking: A collection of skills we use everyday that re necessary for our intellectual and personal development.

Logic: the study of the methods and principals used to distinguish correct or good arguments from poor arguments.

(They go hand in hand)

LETS NOT USE,

Opinion: A belief based solely on personal feelings rather than on reason and facts

*Remember that critically thinking means that we are willing to work towards overcoming personal prejudice and biases, in other words open-minded skepticism.*
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2010 4:06:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The most competent person for that role should be called upon to do that role.

A person's ability is not defined by their race or gender.

Therefore affirmitive action is counterproductive.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Scott_Mann
Posts: 278
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2010 4:21:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Reverse-racism.

Think about it. If you interview a black man with a community college-level education applying for a job, and a white man with an Ivy League-level education applying for a job, who do you really think would help your business more? Same thing would apply vice versa, obviously.
The more posts you have, the less value they contain.
MTGandP
Posts: 702
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2010 4:22:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/21/2010 4:06:10 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
The most competent person for that role should be called upon to do that role.

A person's ability is not defined by their race or gender.

Therefore affirmitive action is counterproductive.

Unless a company purposefully discriminates against certain races, in which case reverse discrimination is the (temporary) solution to balance it out. That didn't quite come out right...

The question then is to identify how prominent racism is in the workplace, and assess whether it would be better or worse to enforce affirmative action.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2010 5:05:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/21/2010 4:21:14 PM, Scott_Mann wrote:
Reverse-racism.

Think about it. If you interview a black man with a community college-level education applying for a job, and a white man with an Ivy League-level education applying for a job, who do you really think would help your business more? Same thing would apply vice versa, obviously.

Except affirmative action doesn't work like that.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2010 5:23:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/21/2010 5:05:54 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/21/2010 4:21:14 PM, Scott_Mann wrote:
Reverse-racism.

Think about it. If you interview a black man with a community college-level education applying for a job, and a white man with an Ivy League-level education applying for a job, who do you really think would help your business more? Same thing would apply vice versa, obviously.

Except affirmative action doesn't work like that.

In principle, yes, it always does. In degree, it depends which affirmative action you're talking about. Some (the Indian Parliament's version for example) it's even worse.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.