Jump to topic:

O' America Why Are You So Decadent?

Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 1:05:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have heard several people on this site and in the real world make the claim that the United States of America is in decline? If this is true.................................How is the United States of America in decline? Explain thoroughly please.

I only believe that America is decline culturally. A good example would be how some members of the DDO community are celebrating the feminization of society which I find the mere thought a joyous occasion. Not for the reasons that they are celebrating it. This is not my comrades they are referring to but my enemies that exist within the country. I wish my enemies to be weak, inept, impotent, and feeble enough to disappear from history.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 1:07:50 PM
At 3/14/2014 1:05:35 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
I have heard several people on this site and in the real world make the claim that the United States of America is in decline? If this is true.................................How is the United States of America in decline? Explain thoroughly please.

I only believe that America is decline culturally. A good example would be how some members of the DDO community are celebrating the feminization of society which I find the mere thought a joyous occasion. Not for the reasons that they are celebrating it. This is not my comrades they are referring to but my enemies that exist within the country. I wish my enemies to be weak, inept, impotent, and feeble enough to disappear from history.

I don't think I quite understand this post?
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 1:10:19 PM

Can the US continue to become more and more top heavy with income inequality and still not be in decline? I think there's little doubt that the wealth is still there even if it's concentrated at the top and that ensures world influence at least for the short term.

Can a nation survive that trend? Is Mexico, which is the only more extreme case of income inequality, continue to survive?
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 1:16:22 PM
At 3/14/2014 1:07:50 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

I am asking if America is in decline, how is it in decline? Many people claim that the United States is in a period of decline. What is actually declining? The economy, culture, politics, etc.? Many things can be declining, so I am asking what is actually declining.

For example, there are many fundamentalist Christians over the age of 60 who claim that this is the "end of times." They claim it is the "end of times" because Americans have turned their backs on God so America is in period of religious decline and will be punished. This is just one example, many others claim America is in decline for different reasons.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 1:17:42 PM
At 3/14/2014 1:16:22 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:

I am asking if America is in decline, how is it in decline? Many people claim that the United States is in a period of decline. What is actually declining? The economy, culture, politics, etc.? Many things can be declining, so I am asking what is actually declining.

For example, there are many fundamentalist Christians over the age of 60 who claim that this is the "end of times." They claim it is the "end of times" because Americans have turned their backs on God so America is in period of religious decline and will be punished. This is just one example, many others claim America is in decline for different reasons.

I see... Let me gather my thoughts here and then take a dab at what I think your saying..
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 1:20:33 PM
At 3/14/2014 1:10:19 PM, monty1 wrote:

Can the US continue to become more and more top heavy with income inequality and still not be in decline? I think there's little doubt that the wealth is still there even if it's concentrated at the top and that ensures world influence at least for the short term.

Can a nation survive that trend? Is Mexico, which is the only more extreme case of income inequality, continue to survive?

Inequality is inevitable in any society that is in a constant period of progress. Equality is a sign of stagnation and a society that is no longer developing.

I know what you are getting at but I disagree profusely.
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 1:28:38 PM
At 3/14/2014 1:17:42 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

I see... Let me gather my thoughts here and then take a dab at what I think your saying..

Sure take your time.
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 1:34:45 PM
At 3/14/2014 1:20:33 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 3/14/2014 1:10:19 PM, monty1 wrote:

Inequality is inevitable in any society that is in a constant period of progress. Equality is a sign of stagnation and a society that is no longer developing.

I know what you are getting at but I disagree profusely.

You're not really disagreeing with what I said, you've only translated it to mean something else. I can agree that inequality is necessary but I'm talking about the growing inequality that is leaving the ordinary people behind. Don't try to tell me it's not happening.

What is Detroit today? Do you want to call that a sure sign of the decline of the US or would you prefer to just recognize it as growing income inequality? Or would you rather try to categorize it as something else? Keeping in mind that Detroit is not a lone example of your country's crumbling infrastructure.

I've only tried to be charitable and openminded on the question, while you appear to want to just deny any problems.
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 2:02:05 PM
At 3/14/2014 1:34:45 PM, monty1 wrote:

You're not really disagreeing with what I said, you've only translated it to mean something else. I can agree that inequality is necessary but I'm talking about the growing inequality that is leaving the ordinary people behind. Don't try to tell me it's not happening.

In all honesty, I wanted to avoid responding because this will inevitably be a lengthy exchange. Inequality is happening and it always will happen unless we live in a primitive society(hunter/gather, nomadic, etc.). Name one society where inequality did not leave "ordinary people" behind? Even the Soviet Union could never make a factual claim that they were trying to impose equality in their member states.

What is Detroit today? Do you want to call that a sure sign of the decline of the US or would you prefer to just recognize it as growing income inequality? Or would you rather try to categorize it as something else? Keeping in mind that Detroit is not a lone example of your country's crumbling infrastructure.
Detroit is the best example of a city that has an incompetent population and the residents are unashamed of it. There are so many problems within that one city alone ranging from lack of growth, high crime, mismanagement of government, political corruption, horrible schools, and unions gone wild. There are numerous other problems that Detroit has embraced without any shame.

Do I need to give an explanation for each one? "Inequality" is not the problem with Detroit. Detroit is a failed city that has been going down since the early 1950s. I would like hear how you intend to rationalize the bigoted overtone of some Detroit's mayors that have further prevented any investment into the city. I also would like to hear how the inefficient municipal government has anything to do with "inequality." Especially considering one may be robbed it may take two or more hours for the police to arrive. "Inequality" has nothing to do with how the unions strangled the auto-manufacturing industry in the 1970s when foreign automanufacturers companies were allowed to participate in the American economy. How can inequality exist in a city with a barely existent middle class and no wealthy people? Detroit is a failed city; it has nothing to do with inequality. You will find no evidence to support the claim that Detroit is the result of "inequality."

I've only tried to be charitable and openminded on the question, while you appear to want to just deny any problems.
No you are making up problems and preying on straw men that don't exist. Inequality does not explain anything. Nevertheless you did not offer what inequality you are referring to. Inequality under the law? Income inequality? Gender inequality? You haven't explained any of this but have the claim that "inequality" is the problem. I would ask you refrain from exaggerating please.

In essence if you don't understand what I am getting at; we can all be equally poor. Equality doesn't tell us anything. What should be alarming is the conditions in which people live.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 2:10:20 PM

I agree Sir doctor of Top Hats. These people are usually ignorant to reality. 15 billion dollar economy, high HDI. Are growth rate is normal for a developed nation. The only nation likely to surpass us is China, due to the vast amount of untapped markets in the country, but they are not exactly high on the wellness spectrum. Are main problems rely on excessive military spending, and the deep division between are parties.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 2:12:05 PM

Um, maybe its just me, but I personally don't know what exactly your talking about? America seems to be as it always is.. Crazy and ignorant.. And I live here.. :/
"Good Times" ~ Max
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 2:13:24 PM
At 3/14/2014 2:10:20 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

I agree Sir doctor of Top Hats. These people are usually ignorant to reality. 15 billion dollar economy, high HDI. Are growth rate is normal for a developed nation. The only nation likely to surpass us is China, due to the vast amount of untapped markets in the country, but they are not exactly high on the wellness spectrum. Are main problems rely on excessive military spending, and the deep division between are parties.

I AGREE! I am glad that someone understands that the United States is not going off an economic cliff(at least not yet).
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 2:16:55 PM
At 3/14/2014 2:12:05 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Um, maybe its just me, but I personally don't know what exactly your talking about? America seems to be as it always is.. Crazy and ignorant.. And I live here.. :/

Well it would seem that you are of the opinion that nothing is going wrong in the United States. There are many other people who think the United States is in a period of decline. I can't say my opinion is far off from yours. I only see one indicator of decline but that is it.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 2:18:11 PM
At 3/14/2014 2:16:55 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 3/14/2014 2:12:05 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Well it would seem that you are of the opinion that nothing is going wrong in the United States. There are many other people who think the United States is in a period of decline. I can't say my opinion is far off from yours. I only see one indicator of decline but that is it.

Which is what? Maybe I'm blinded by it or just haven't cared enough to pay attention..
"Good Times" ~ Max
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 2:36:23 PM
At 3/14/2014 2:18:11 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Which is what? Maybe I'm blinded by it or just haven't cared enough to pay attention..

I think America is in a period of cultural decline. But I don't think the United States is the only country impacted by this cultural decline. I would argue it is the world's leader in this cultural decline. The European Union member states, Korea, and Japan also have been hit with this decline but not at the same magnitude that has existed in the United States. The cultural decline that I am referring was born out of our abuse of technology.

I call it the "Steakhouse Syndrome" or the "Microwave Minute." Many Americans have come to the conclusion that they should get what they want when they want it with little to no consideration for other people. They want others to conform to what they want. The reason why this attitude has been adopted is because technology allows it to exist.

Here is an example, why go meet your friend when you can call them. Why call your friend when you can e-mail them. It is very impersonal, all too insincere, and all too close to your figure tips. It is all too easy to type without any real interaction from the other person. The TV and the Internet accommodate to personal tastes but the real world where people exist this is not true. This attitude carries to other places and conditions. Many people have come to the conclusion a relationship is a concept where two people completely agree with barely any disagreement. This is not true and never will be. This is why marriage will inevitably fail in modern America and other modern countries.

America and other modern societies have created conditions where their citizens simply get what they want all too easily with little to no effort required. Now they expect to get what they want with no disagreement. It is a problem because that is not how the real world works.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 2:56:05 PM
At 3/14/2014 2:36:23 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 3/14/2014 2:18:11 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

I think America is in a period of cultural decline. But I don't think the United States is the only country impacted by this cultural decline. I would argue it is the world's leader in this cultural decline. The European Union member states, Korea, and Japan also have been hit with this decline but not at the same magnitude that has existed in the United States. The cultural decline that I am referring was born out of our abuse of technology.

I call it the "Steakhouse Syndrome" or the "Microwave Minute." Many Americans have come to the conclusion that they should get what they want when they want it with little to no consideration for other people. They want others to conform to what they want. The reason why this attitude has been adopted is because technology allows it to exist.

Here is an example, why go meet your friend when you can call them. Why call your friend when you can e-mail them. It is very impersonal, all too insincere, and all too close to your figure tips. It is all too easy to type without any real interaction from the other person. The TV and the Internet accommodate to personal tastes but the real world where people exist this is not true. This attitude carries to other places and conditions. Many people have come to the conclusion a relationship is a concept where two people completely agree with barely any disagreement. This is not true and never will be. This is why marriage will inevitably fail in modern America and other modern countries.

America and other modern societies have created conditions where their citizens simply get what they want all too easily with little to no effort required. Now they expect to get what they want with no disagreement. It is a problem because that is not how the real world works.

Okay, this literally may sound strange, but my Dad has literally said those exact words before. But I agree.
"Good Times" ~ Max
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 2:58:41 PM
At 3/14/2014 2:56:05 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Okay, this literally may sound strange, but my Dad has literally said those exact words before. But I agree.

lol Your dad must be a great observer in that case then. I noticed it only after reading books about the past then noticed people behaved very awkwardly by comparison.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 3:00:52 PM
At 3/14/2014 2:58:41 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 3/14/2014 2:56:05 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

lol Your dad must be a great observer in that case then. I noticed it only after reading books about the past then noticed people behaved very awkwardly by comparison.

Yeah, he is... but I see then... I can now totally understand what your saying since you put it that way though.. I think I was just having a misunderstanding when reading through your questions and comments..
"Good Times" ~ Max
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 3:04:59 PM

Take a look at this link:
http://www.usdebtclock.org...

If you can look at this and say that we're not doomed as a nation, then you need to use Siri to find the nearest Lunatic Asylum.
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 3:05:11 PM
At 3/14/2014 3:00:52 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Yeah, he is... but I see then... I can now totally understand what your saying since you put it that way though.. I think I was just having a misunderstanding when reading through your questions and comments..

Well, that is not what quite what I was asking. I was just asking do people think that American has fallen down compared to the past; that is why I asked had America declined. But as you will notice above; monty believes that America has declined due to income inequality. But I am of the belief that the only decline is in culture which is what I mentioned a couple posts ago about the cultural problem of abusing technology.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 3:08:08 PM
At 3/14/2014 3:05:11 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 3/14/2014 3:00:52 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Well, that is not what quite what I was asking. I was just asking do people think that American has fallen down compared to the past; that is why I asked had America declined. But as you will notice above; monty believes that America has declined due to income inequality. But I am of the belief that the only decline is in culture which is what I mentioned a couple posts ago about the cultural problem of abusing technology.

well, I guess ... uhh this is confusing haha.. I still say america is ignorant and probably declines in a lot of areas.. But then it doesn't in some areas.. Which ones? not too too sure.. But the culture one I'd agree with as well as the financial stance too.. Religion? Mmmmm, maybe ...
"Good Times" ~ Max
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 3:12:53 PM
61 trillion US Dollars of debt in total...to pay that, each household would have to pay more than it makes in 10 years.
And that's not the scary part. The scary part is that it's still growing, and it will continue to grow.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 3:16:52 PM

Obama!!!
Nah, not really.
I feel that Americans are in fact culturally (morally?) in decline, as we are a bunch of bratty kids. We are too entitled, and I am not talking about "entitlements" like SS.

Go to a store and see what happens if you are out of stock of something.
Deny a service to someone and watch the anger, like a restaurant closing early or running out of a product (especially if it is not the main source of patronage, like a pizza place running out of wings)
How many people demand free banking services?
How many people believe that trying your best is ALWAYS good enough? "Why was I fired, I did my best?"
How many public servants go crazy when their salaries are frozen due to down tax revenue?
How many people believe they are entitled to a job?

Additionally, I think America is on the verge of a permanent economic decline. People pine over the good old days of the 50s when we were a superpower and life was grand. Well, for numerous reasons, we are not the economic powerhouse we used to be, and as we lose ground, it will be an adjustment period.

I am not sure what this paragraph means. It seems there are typos or is in code or something.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 3:19:07 PM
At 3/14/2014 3:12:53 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
61 trillion US Dollars of debt in total...to pay that, each household would have to pay more than it makes in 10 years.
And that's not the scary part. The scary part is that it's still growing, and it will continue to grow.

I can't read that....too busy.
Where are they coming up with the higher number?
It sounds like they are saying our financial position, not our debt.
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 3:19:51 PM
At 3/14/2014 3:04:59 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:

If you can look at this and say that we're not doomed as a nation, then you need to use Siri to find the nearest Lunatic Asylum.

No worries, at least not yet. Bubba, please don't fear monger on this website, it is supposed to be called "Debate.org" not . I am taking a guess but I would assume you and monty who posted above would never get along lol.

The United States is the world's leading economy. We control the greatest financial institutions on the planet. Debt is inevitable in any country. The problem is the severity of the debt. If the government debt grows more, austerity will have to be implemented. The entire nation is not in jeopardy because of the government's debt. However, debt that brings about high taxes will be problematic.
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 3:37:46 PM
At 3/14/2014 3:16:52 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Obama!!!
Nah, not really.
I feel that Americans are in fact culturally (morally?) in decline, as we are a bunch of bratty kids. We are too entitled, and I am not talking about "entitlements" like SS.
If you are referring to the understanding of good/evil/right/wrong then it is a moral matter. If you are referring to a habit/practice or expectations of habits/practices then it is a cultural matter.

Go to a store and see what happens if you are out of stock of something.
Deny a service to someone and watch the anger, like a restaurant closing early or running out of a product (especially if it is not the main source of patronage, like a pizza place running out of wings)
How many people demand free banking services?
How many people believe that trying your best is ALWAYS good enough? "Why was I fired, I did my best?"
How many public servants go crazy when their salaries are frozen due to down tax revenue?
How many people believe they are entitled to a job?

Additionally, I think America is on the verge of a permanent economic decline. People pine over the good old days of the 50s when we were a superpower and life was grand. Well, for numerous reasons, we are not the economic powerhouse we used to be, and as we lose ground, it will be an adjustment period.
Sadly, I won't be able to accommodate your statement with a detailed reply because as I said to monty I would rather avoid lengthy exchanges. I tended to agree with your statements generally until the last paragraph I strongly disagree with what is bolded. Could you elaborate further on what is bolded?

I am not sure what this paragraph means. It seems there are typos or is in code or something.
I was actually attacking another thread in the political forum because I think it coalesces with what I perceive is the problem.
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 3:43:17 PM
At 3/14/2014 3:19:07 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

It's not a set of statistics. It's a bunch of numbers...numbers that keep increasing.
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 3:53:42 PM
At 3/14/2014 3:19:51 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 3/14/2014 3:04:59 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:

No worries, at least not yet. Bubba, please don't fear monger on this website, it is supposed to be called "Debate.org" not . I am taking a guess but I would assume you and monty who posted above would never get along lol.

The United States is the world's leading economy. We control the greatest financial institutions on the planet. Debt is inevitable in any country. The problem is the severity of the debt. If the government debt grows more, austerity will have to be implemented. The entire nation is not in jeopardy because of the government's debt. However, debt that brings about high taxes will be problematic.

I don't think you quite understand.
$42,693 is the average income of a US citizen according to this link:
http://bber.unm.edu...
According to the debt clock at the time that I'm writing this, the total debt per citizen is $193,064.
Here's something else to wrap your brain around:
http://townhall.com...
That's right: there are many people who won't be working to pay off this debt when the time comes to pay it off.
So for those Americans who will suck it up and pay their part of the debt, it'll be more than $193,064.

Even if it was still possible to pay back this debt as of right now, we're not going to pay it off now! We're going to wait another 20 or 30 years, if we ever pay it off at all!

I am a young American (I'm not actually 28 years old). I am not entitled to anything, but at the same time I should not have to pay off my parents' debt.
This may sound childish, and perhaps it is childish, but I refuse to just suck it up and pay hundreds of thousands of dollars because my predecessors made horrible business decisions. That's unjust, and when I become a working American I will refuse to go along with this.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 4:06:37 PM
At 3/14/2014 3:43:17 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:

It's not a set of statistics.
Financial position are numbers.
I said this because there is an asset counter.

It's a bunch of numbers...numbers that keep increasing.

Can you tell me why that site says $61 trillion, and most people say it is $17 trillion or so?
Where is the discrepancy?
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 4:10:37 PM
At 3/14/2014 4:06:37 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 3/14/2014 3:43:17 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:

It's not a set of statistics.
Financial position are numbers.
I said this because there is an asset counter.

It's a bunch of numbers...numbers that keep increasing.

Can you tell me why that site says $61 trillion, and most people say it is $17 trillion or so?
Where is the discrepancy?

The US National Debt is currently (at the time that I'm writing this) at 17.5 trillion. The US Total Debt is currently (at the time that I'm writing this) at 61.3 trillion.
If you just wish to go with the National Debt, that's fine. But it's still a LOT of money, any way you look at it.