Total Posts:83|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Funny picture about "reverse racism".Respond?

kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 10:11:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 8:25:44 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
At 3/16/2014 2:04:09 PM, kbub wrote:
Thanks for the link, tulle.

http://24.media.tumblr.com...

Seems somebody wants to keep the pot stirred.

Personal feelings for me aside, what did you think?
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 10:22:51 PM

It's what I do.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 10:57:31 PM

I don't think that is really a fair representation of reverse discrimination. Pretending it doesn't exist, or belittling it, doesn't make it non existent. (sound familiar?)

Let's be fair. While some whites got rich of the literal backs of blacks, not all of them did, in fact, I would say most of them did not. The racism by and large is in opportunity costs; blacks didn't get hired. As a result, whites have a higher economic status. That is not at all the same as saying they were used as this cartoon illustrates.

One could make the argument that America was built on slave labor (and the mistreatment of Indians), and while that may be true, the now freed slaves, and presumably the Indians, are likely living better then they otherwise would have. Not that this excuses the mistreatment, but the living descendant are better off. How many slave descendants would rather live in their ancestor's homeland over America?

Reverse discrimination is discrimination all the same. Hiring a less qualified black person, instead of a more qualified white person is no different than hiring the less qualified white person over the more qualified black one. The difference is a misguided attempt to right the wrongs of the past, by revisiting the wrongs of the past. It is foolish to think that racist policies will somehow curb racist feelings.
Further, it is foolish to think that using "diversity" to show how great a company is, doesn't make the black man feel like he is being exploited. In both cases, whites and blacks have to wonder, if the black man was promoted simply because of his race.

No matter what anyone does, the specter of racism exists.
Hire the black man, whites think affirmative action or diversity, and is angry. Especially if they think they are more qualified.
Hire the white man, blacks claim good old fashioned racism, and are angry. Especially if they think they are more qualified.
What can be done?
Seriously, what can be done?
I have recently come to the conclusion that people are going to hate, and that racism is nothing more than the generalization fallacy, something everyone commits, and is the easiest to commit, since you know race when you see it, but not other factors.

The best way to fight racism, is to expose the fallacy and show the error in logic...and hope for the best. As I have stated in other threads I have created, racial discrimination is no worse than any other type of discrimination based on any other factor, except that other factors are more accepted.
For example, most people denounce the premise that black people are not trustworthy. Thus the logic of not hiring a black man because he may steal from you is a faulty conclusion.
However, a man with a criminal history is also viewed as not trustworthy, and is not demonized for his erroneous conclusion, based on the same generalization fallacy.

People need to fight human nature, and not categorize others.
People need to fight human nature, and not label.
People need to fight human nature, and not fear the unknown.
People need to fight human nature, and not have knee-jerk reactions that different equals bad. People like homogenization.

I am only speaking of hiring practices and status in this post, since that is what the cartoon depicts.

Don't know how much of this rambling made sense...I am tired, and going to bed.
I am sure I put my foot in my mouth.
My work here is, finally, done.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 11:44:23 PM
I find it inaccurate. My ancestors are from Ukraine, Britain, Germany, and Ireland. The British side branches from a man brought over on the Mayflower as an indentured servant. That side of the family went on to become Quakers (staunch abolitionists), and included some famous people, such as Bayard Taylor. The German and Irish sides were poor working immigrants, and the (ethnic) Ukrainian side was fleeing the economic desolation following the dissolution of their homeland of Galicia. By the time my grandparents came around, the 'old American' side of the family was solidly in the middle class; any money which they had was made by entrepreneurial endeavors on the working poor immigrant side of things. Yet, to the average person on the street, I am 'white', and my ancestors and I supposedly benefited from the legacy of slavery, even though the only part of my family in America during slavery had fought tirelessly for it's abolition since before the Revolutionary War.

Holding 'white people' responsible for the past enslavement and present day destitution of black people commits the same heinous fallacy of generalization that is at the root of racism, not to mention resurrecting the long discarded practice of holding the son responsible for the crimes of the father. Injustice happens. Part of my family lost their homeland at the stroke of a pen, another part was dragged to this continent against their will. Do I hold grudges against the long-dead monarchs who were responsible for their situation? Injustice happens, and people rebuild. It's hard, it isn't fair, and it's cruel, but life is all of those things, and it is all of those things to every group at some point.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 12:55:44 AM
At 3/16/2014 10:57:31 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I don't think that is really a fair representation of reverse discrimination. Pretending it doesn't exist, or belittling it, doesn't make it non existent. (sound familiar?)

One could make the argument that America was built on slave labor (and the mistreatment of Indians), and while that may be true, the now freed slaves, and presumably the Indians, are likely living better then they otherwise would have. Not that this excuses the mistreatment, but the living descendant are better off. How many slave descendants would rather live in their ancestor's homeland over America?

Never thought of it that way. Thank God for slavery. We're much better off now because of it.

Hire the black man, whites think affirmative action or diversity, and is angry. Especially if they think they are more qualified.
Hire the white man, blacks claim good old fashioned racism, and are angry. Especially if they think they are more qualified.
What can be done?

What can be done is what is right. Damn what people think.

I have recently come to the conclusion that people are going to hate,

You don't think hatred can be stopped? Seriously, you're ok with that?

and that racism is nothing more than the generalization fallacy,

Cool. I've never thought of racism as being a fallacy before. I guess that means we can dismiss it.

something everyone commits,

Hmmm.... I wonder about that.... Even if that were true, you should realize that racism is not an on off switch. There are degrees of racism, and complexities. Saying lots of people are racist is not going to help anything. People murder. No one has solved for it. Murder should not be excused, and people should not give up on it. I think that there is a similar situation here: Believe me, I know racism can seem overwhelming at times, but it can be fought. Racism is not natural. Young children do not discriminate as adults do.

and is the easiest to commit, since you know race when you see it, but not other factors.

There is no biological entity called "race."
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 7:48:43 AM
At 3/16/2014 10:11:00 PM, kbub wrote:

Personal feelings for me aside, what did you think?

Inaccurate.

Let's put it this way: in Africa today, a lot of people:
A. Live in mud huts
B. Throw spears at each other
Granted, some of them moved to the cities, where they are starving. Africa is a hotbed of ethnic conflicts, genocide, Muslims killing Christians (with the occasional Christians killing Muslims), starvation, and disease.

Meanwhile, in America some people might have to eat Ramen Noodle packets to live on, but few people are legitimately starving (as in you're a fifty pounds underweight child) in the US.
In bringing them over here, the white settlers unwittingly spared their descendants today from a horrible life in Africa.
Of course, in bringing them over here the blacks became slaves, so let's just call it even.

In either case, it was 150 years ago. No black slave from that time period is still alive, and no slave owner from that time period is still alive. The world's oldest living person is:
A. Not American anyway
B. Was not alive in the 1860s
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 8:36:31 AM
At 3/17/2014 12:55:44 AM, kbub wrote:

Never thought of it that way. Thank God for slavery. We're much better off now because of it.
Wow, did you just drop the context of this statement?
Did you care to explain how the vast majority of whites obtained their status on the backs of blacks (or anyone)?

What can be done?

What can be done is what is right. Damn what people think.
And what, exactly, is right?
In seems that you are the racist here, to be honest, implying that blacks are oppressed and cannot make it on their own.
Your solution is equally racist, by being racist, you will rectify the wrongs as you perceive them.

I have recently come to the conclusion that people are going to hate,

You don't think hatred can be stopped? Seriously, you're ok with that?
You cannot reason with emotion.
Further, since you have yet to define racism, and it is not my definition, I can only assume that racism is borne of hate and implemented to hurt.
No, you cannot reason with that, you can only react.

and that racism is nothing more than the generalization fallacy,

Cool. I've never thought of racism as being a fallacy before. I guess that means we can dismiss it.
It helps to explain it, just like it helps to define it.
Why do you think that all blacks need help in today's society? We have a black president; did he need help? In the time of the civil rights fight, there was Clarence Thomas. Somehow, even when there was institutional racism, there were black doctors, lawyers, judges, and even politicians.

I am not saying people aren't racist, nor that racism exists.
I challenge your premise that racism is what keeps people down.
I also challenge you to think about your own generalizations about the plights of others.

something everyone commits,

Hmmm.... I wonder about that.... Even if that were true, you should realize that racism is not an on off switch. There are degrees of racism, and complexities. Saying lots of people are racist is not going to help anything. People murder. No one has solved for it. Murder should not be excused, and people should not give up on it. I think that there is a similar situation here: Believe me, I know racism can seem overwhelming at times, but it can be fought. Racism is not natural. Young children do not discriminate as adults do.

Young children don't hate, period. That is why they get into vans with strangers. They trust them. They believe all is good and similar to them.
As you get older, you make connections and realize discrepancies. Girls are different than boys, for example. Over time, you make connections. People that frown are sad. People that steal are bad.

Now, if you are implying there is a difference between racism and generalizing/labeling/categorizning others by race, then, no, racism is not natural. However, if racism is simply creating stereotypoes of people based on race, regardless of malicious intent, then, yes, it is natural.

And did I say I was excusing it? No, I am explaining it.

and is the easiest to commit, since you know race when you see it, but not other factors.

There is no biological entity called "race."
There is no biological entity called rapist, either. But, I am sure you have choice words for all of them, regardless of the individual you are speaking to.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 9:07:49 AM
At 3/16/2014 11:44:23 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
I find it inaccurate. My ancestors are from Ukraine, Britain, Germany, and Ireland. The British side branches from a man brought over on the Mayflower as an indentured servant. That side of the family went on to become Quakers (staunch abolitionists), and included some famous people, such as Bayard Taylor. The German and Irish sides were poor working immigrants, and the (ethnic) Ukrainian side was fleeing the economic desolation following the dissolution of their homeland of Galicia. By the time my grandparents came around, the 'old American' side of the family was solidly in the middle class; any money which they had was made by entrepreneurial endeavors on the working poor immigrant side of things. Yet, to the average person on the street, I am 'white', and my ancestors and I supposedly benefited from the legacy of slavery, even though the only part of my family in America during slavery had fought tirelessly for it's abolition since before the Revolutionary War.

Holding 'white people' responsible for the past enslavement and present day destitution of black people commits the same heinous fallacy of generalization that is at the root of racism, not to mention resurrecting the long discarded practice of holding the son responsible for the crimes of the father. Injustice happens. Part of my family lost their homeland at the stroke of a pen, another part was dragged to this continent against their will. Do I hold grudges against the long-dead monarchs who were responsible for their situation? Injustice happens, and people rebuild. It's hard, it isn't fair, and it's cruel, but life is all of those things, and it is all of those things to every group at some point.

It's accurate insofar as it's a depiction of the progression of the white man's considerations and circumstances. Nobody said anything about responsibility. You might look at the picture in the same way as you'd look at those pictures illustrating the evolution of man, the ape, the neanderthal, etc. And then this whole reverse racism bit is obviously a farce, hardly some moral consideration, but plain ol' greed. Let's not belittle the whole human rights dealie in moaning about having to share our abundant resources with the less fortunate.
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 9:08:12 AM
At 3/17/2014 8:36:31 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Did you care to explain how the vast majority of whites obtained their status on the backs of blacks (or anyone)?

Don't try to turn what you said on me. I'm pretty sure the "context" was "do you have have a response to this picture," and you said the slave trade made black people better off.

I'm also fairly certain that you suggested that colonialism made the American Indian nations better off. The reason I'm fairly certain is because I see your words right up there ^^.

You deserve an award.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 9:31:12 AM
At 3/17/2014 9:08:12 AM, kbub wrote:
At 3/17/2014 8:36:31 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Don't try to turn what you said on me. I'm pretty sure the "context" was "do you have have a response to this picture," and you said the slave trade made black people better off.

Actually, I said that whites by and large did not come to success on the backs of blacks. That is what I said.

I'm also fairly certain that you suggested that colonialism made the American Indian nations better off. The reason I'm fairly certain is because I see your words right up there ^^.

Yes, and why did I say those words? To defend against the argument that whites on the whole benefited from slaves. It doesn't excuse anything, but it is a matter of fact.

You deserve an award.

You deserve one, too.

So, address the initial point:
How did whites come to their success ON THE WHOLE on the backs of blacks, as the cartoon depicts? Obviously, slave owners and the slave trade made bank on them, but not even close to the majority of whites.

Please, explain how I exploited blacks in my lifetime (or my ancestors did) to get to where I am in life.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 9:38:43 AM
It's stuff like this that makes me wonder who the true racists are. Why is it okay to stereotype all white Americans as an assshole who won't help up his fellow man?

What's with the liberal obsession over skin color anyway? I mean, I get that race baiting gets them a ton of votes, but come on. To me, diversity means difference in mind and behavior. A diversity of thought. To many liberals diversity means diversity of skin tone. I think that just about sums up the differences between us.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 9:59:15 AM
Great post, thett3. Not really dumb at all. Yes, it's people who would give the underprivileged a leg up from their disadvantaged circumstances who are the real racists. I see that you've taken that whole social stigma thing of mine on board, though.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:04:21 AM
It's you, thett3. You're the real racist. Or the one caught up in that whole every-man-for-himself capitalist game anyway. I mean it is nice to be able to wrap that up in "reverse racism". At a first glance, it might even seem accurate. But it's nonsense, and pitiful. It's to have absolutely no respect whatsoever for real plight.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:05:16 AM
At 3/17/2014 9:59:15 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Great post, thett3. Not really dumb at all. Yes, it's people who would give the underprivileged a leg up from their disadvantaged circumstances who are the real racists. I see that you've taken that whole social stigma thing of mine on board, though.

Lol that's not what I meant and you know it badger. Wanting to help the underprivileged is not racist. Stereotyping whites as people who don't want to help people is racist. You know perfectly well what I was getting at.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:08:33 AM
At 3/17/2014 10:04:21 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
It's you, thett3. You're the real racist. Or the one caught up in that whole every-man-for-himself capitalist game anyway. I mean it is nice to be able to wrap that up in "reverse racism". At a first glance, it might even seem accurate. But it's nonsense, and pitiful. It's to have absolutely no respect whatsoever for real plight.

Oh piss off dude, you have no grounds to call me a racist simply because I think it's hypocritical to decry racism while simultaneously stereotyping whites as callous asssholes who got up on the backs of black people and now refuse to help them up.

Really, don't presume you know my thoughts on these things
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:08:47 AM
At 3/17/2014 10:05:16 AM, thett3 wrote:

Lol that's not what I meant and you know it badger. Wanting to help the underprivileged is not racist. Stereotyping whites as people who don't want to help people is racist. You know perfectly well what I was getting at.

Anyone who is against affirmative action should really take a close look at who they are. Especially if their justification of being against it is in being against "reverse racism".
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:11:16 AM
At 3/17/2014 10:08:47 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Anyone who is against affirmative action should really take a close look at who they are. Especially if their justification of being against it is in being against "reverse racism".

I'm against race based affirmative action but in favor of affirmative action based off economic status. One of the biggest reasons I dislike race based affirmative action was a study done by Princeton that showed that the current state of affirmative action preferences discriminates against Asian people. Does that make me a racist badger?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:20:13 AM
At 3/17/2014 10:11:16 AM, thett3 wrote:

I'm against race based affirmative action but in favor of affirmative action based off economic status. One of the biggest reasons I dislike race based affirmative action was a study done by Princeton that showed that the current state of affirmative action preferences discriminates against Asian people. Does that make me a racist badger?

Well I don't have much faith in you, to be honest. Just glancing down through your Big Issues . . . and then your contribution to this thread would've been what before I stuck on you? "I'm not a racist!" - that sound about right? "No race based discrimination because that's racist!" and yet Con on Social Programs.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:22:20 AM

Don't forget it's also equally racist to assume that minorities require a hand up, just because they are a minority.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:22:33 AM
At 3/17/2014 10:20:13 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 3/17/2014 10:11:16 AM, thett3 wrote:

Well I don't have much faith in you, to be honest. Just glancing down through your Big Issues . . . and then your contribution to this thread would've been what before I stuck on you? "I'm not a racist!" - that sound about right? "No race based discrimination because that's racist!" and yet Con on Social Programs.

Oh yes, by all means assume I'm a racist because of my political positions. This is so beneath you badger
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:22:41 AM
I mean I'll try to leave someone alone if they're at least Pro on Animal Rights, but wow thett3... There's a cynic for you. How can you expect me to consider you anything more than politically selfish?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:27:33 AM
The fact of the matter is that black people are quite obviously disadvantage in America, and if someone does not mean to rectify that, they are wholly selfish, and might as well be racist. That's what racism is, after all. People seem to be unaware of that, it's as though they consider it some "disorder" once again, not stemming from personal considerations. It's okay if you don't give a f*ck about the less fortunate so long as you don't lynch them or call them any names, eh?
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:28:55 AM
What's with all the posts about racism these days??
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:28:59 AM
At 3/17/2014 10:22:41 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I mean I'll try to leave someone alone if they're at least Pro on Animal Rights, but wow thett3... There's a cynic for you. How can you expect me to consider you anything more than politically selfish?

Very nice. Instead of, you know, asking why I don't take a position on animal rights (because I don't know what that means--which rights? I haven't read much about the issue either) assume it's out of selfishness. Again, very beneath you badger.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:33:33 AM
At 3/17/2014 10:27:33 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
The fact of the matter is that black people are quite obviously disadvantage in America, and if someone does not mean to rectify that, they are wholly selfish, and might as well be racist. That's what racism is, after all. People seem to be unaware of that, it's as though they consider it some "disorder" once again, not stemming from personal considerations. It's okay if you don't give a f*ck about the less fortunate so long as you don't lynch them or call them any names, eh?

Is your problem that you just don't read what people say? My beef with the cartoon specifically wasn't because racism isn't a problem, it was because the cartoon inaccurately stereotyped whites. Badger, do you honestly think that stuff like this contributes at all to political dialogue?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett