Jump to topic:

Cashing In On Haiti

Republican95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 7:26:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
To me, the earthquake in Haiti is a win-win situation.

Sure, some people died, but thousands of people die everyday. It is a tragic event, and I wish it wouldn't have happened, but since it has, why not make the best of it.

So, currently almost all the stuff you get at Wal-Mart or Target or whatever came from a factory in China. There are only two problems: China's a long's way off and eventually China will switch to a more service oriented economy.

As the supply of fossil fuels is decreasing transportation of goods across the Pacific will become more and more expensive. One day it will just not be financially feasible for trade with China.

So, what can we do. Look to Haiti!

So, America gives Haiti a lot of foriegn aid. Fortunatley, this aid isn't actually aid its credits to buy American stuff. So, eventually American corporations set up factories on the island so the Haitians (and not the Chinese) make all of our stuff for Wal-Mart.

And since Haiti's a lot closer it will be a whole lot cheaper to get the stuff!

So, what do you think?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 7:32:59 PM
I think it is a horrible idea. Not only does Haiti not have enough manpower, it is also a lot more unstable than China - and business does not like instability, nor a lax workforce. Furthermore, Haiti doesn't have anywhere near the capability for education, technology, influence and business climate that China does.

Plus, it is less a huge expense on the part of businesses to set up the infrastructure needed for Haiti to reach 1/10th the capability, an expense that has no point existing except to pander to stupidity on the part of ultra-nationalists scared about China's rise in the world. And if the government were to foot the bill, it makes no sense because there is no guarantee of business investment in Haiti, unless the government forces it.

So, no - this is a bad idea. Its good to be thinking outside of the box, though.
Mr.Dink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 8:01:56 PM
LOL The chinese are much more intelligent, stable, and are willing to work for less. Yes shipping is expensive but not so much bulk shipping especially as technology gets efficient. It's not all about fossil fuels bro, technology is constantly making things cheaper.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 8:02:47 PM
I was watching Fox News, and they showed a report on a tannery in Haiti that was foreign investment. Apparently, the people had a good enough work ethic to show up the day after the quake and keep working. They also get to sleep in the factories. I think its great. It provides jobs to those who otherwise would have no chance.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 8:04:44 PM
At 1/25/2010 8:02:47 PM, mongoose wrote:
I was watching Fox News, and they showed a report on a tannery in Haiti that was foreign investment. Apparently, the people had a good enough work ethic to show up the day after the quake and keep working. They also get to sleep in the factories. I think its great. It provides jobs to those who otherwise would have no chance.

You are, of course, aware that there is barely any government in Haiti to do anything, at all, for anyone, and that I doubt this is less "good work ethic," as it is "omg we're going to die/be homeless if we don't do something."
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 8:07:24 PM
I was watching Fox News,

I stopped reading right there.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 8:13:15 PM
At 1/25/2010 8:07:24 PM, Reasoning wrote:
I was watching Fox News,

I stopped reading right there.

You're a lazy reader.