Jump to topic:

Crimea's Impact

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 11:12:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Russians rejoiced as Crimea once again became part of Russia, because both viewed it as the righting of a geopolitical wrong incurred in the wake of the Cold War. Culturally, Crimea was always distinct from Ukraine, but politically, the precedent this sets is ominous.

The Group of 8 is now the Group of 7, as it was before Russia joined it in 1998. Russian officials have been sanctioned by the Obama administration, though with little substantive impact. The United States and Russia stand precariously at their most significant diplomatic juncture since, really, the 1980s. And given these already strained relations, I'm concerned about what Crimea means for Syria and Iran.

Obama learned that drawing red lines is a dangerous enterprise, in that his unwillingness to enforce the rule he noted (I say "noted" because he didn't actually 'set' the international prohibition on states using chemical weapons against their own citizens) created a space for Vladimir Putin to at once secure Russian interests in Syria and do so at Washington's expense. But, Putin learned too, just how far he could press without invoking American retaliation.

When Obama implicitly threatened a "military option" in response to Assad's gassing civilians and not only did nothing, but actively tried to seek a way out, Putin realized that avoiding conflict at almost any cost was the overacting theme of Obama's foreign policy paradigm. It's not so much about perceived weakness, unless "weakness" means "avoidance of conflict."

But, if conflict avoidance is the end sought, and those who would seek to harm the United States know of Washington's conspicuous reluctance to meaningfully engage those who act against its interest, that affords Iran an opportunity to develop nuclear weapons, Assad's government the opportunity to restock its chemical munitions (whether or not the US has formal diplomatic relations with Damascus), and simultaneously encourages Russia to seek out allies among America's common enemies.

The only way to keep Tehran, Damascus and Moscow from actively seeking to harm the United States is to make it incredibly costly for them to do so. Obama has failed to do that. That is not to say that I blame Obama for what's happening. Putin's choices are his own. Assad's choices are his own. Rouhani's choices are his own, as well -but these developments are not happening in isolation with one another -and it is astonishing to me how little the administration has done even to this point. Nevertheless, I am in no way at ease with what the remaining years of Obama's presidency will yield in international politics.
Tsar of DDO
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 11:54:25 AM
At 3/19/2014 11:13:15 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:
You are ruining my thread. I will copy and paste what you said to the legit forum.

Can you help me to understand this? You say YYW is ruining your thread yet his is the OP? And then you take his comments and move it to another thread?

Aren't there enough threads already on the same topic?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 11:56:03 AM
You are ruining my thread. I will copy and paste what you said to the legit forum.

Stop bitching.
Tsar of DDO
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 11:57:51 AM
At 3/19/2014 11:54:25 AM, monty1 wrote:

Can you help me to understand this? You say YYW is ruining your thread yet his is the OP? And then you take his comments and move it to another thread?

Monty, stop whining about the US, and stop supporting Russia FOUR violations of international law. Are you so stupid that you need me to point out every illegal action they have commited. And, wait........Don't Tell me........ That since the US did it, they can too? REALLY?!

https://www.youtube.com...
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 12:06:33 PM
At 3/19/2014 11:57:51 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 3/19/2014 11:54:25 AM, monty1 wrote:

Monty, stop whining about the US, and stop supporting Russia FOUR violations of international law. Are you so stupid that you need me to point out every illegal action they have commited. And, wait........Don't Tell me........ That since the US did it, they can too? REALLY?!

https://www.youtube.com...

Thank you for your explanation!

Oh, and I guess that you got it about right when you said that since the US did it .........