Jump to topic:

Incredibly Personal Request from Canadians

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 12:08:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am trying to compile a comparison between the American tax code and socioeconomic factors, and the Canadian's tax code and factors.

For this, I would need some volunteers.
Basically, I need to the following information:
- basic job information (how long employed, what you do, wage/salary, how many hours you work)
- basic living information (city/rural, province)
-basic personal information (married/single, kids, own a home)
- tax info (all T4s, a copy of your T1, any additional forms)

For the tax forms, I only want the figures. So, the number of box and amount, or line number and amount.

I am aware this is a lot to ask of a stranger, and, frankly, I am not expecting anyone to send me the info. I have professionally filed taxes in the past, but since I don't know the Canadian tax codes, I want to make sure my I have a basic understanding for various scenarios/hypotheticals. (so basically, I try to do your taxes, and see if I am right)

Obviously, I will keep all information confidential.
If interested, send me a PM.
I am hoping for 3 volunteers.

Thank you for any consideration.
My work here is, finally, done.
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 12:18:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/19/2014 12:08:47 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I am trying to compile a comparison between the American tax code and socioeconomic factors, and the Canadian's tax code and factors.

For this, I would need some volunteers.
Basically, I need to the following information:
- basic job information (how long employed, what you do, wage/salary, how many hours you work)
- basic living information (city/rural, province)
-basic personal information (married/single, kids, own a home)
- tax info (all T4s, a copy of your T1, any additional forms)

For the tax forms, I only want the figures. So, the number of box and amount, or line number and amount.

I am aware this is a lot to ask of a stranger, and, frankly, I am not expecting anyone to send me the info. I have professionally filed taxes in the past, but since I don't know the Canadian tax codes, I want to make sure my I have a basic understanding for various scenarios/hypotheticals. (so basically, I try to do your taxes, and see if I am right)

Obviously, I will keep all information confidential.
If interested, send me a PM.
I am hoping for 3 volunteers.

Thank you for any consideration.

I think you will only get anectodal evidence by asking in that way. However, if you want to do a rough comparison of a person earning say 20K, 50K, and 100K a year then I can help you with some rough numbers. And if those income levels aren't what you had in mind then choose your own. Just do't choose too many or I'll have to bow out.

As a blanket statement on the issue that may fulfill your request, I can say that US taxes overall are roughly equal to Canadian taxes overall. Canadians may pay less on the low end and more on the high end.