Russia May Change Stance on Iran!

monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 12:38:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

But most likely only if the U.S. decides to escalate the sanctions against Russia and make them meaningful. At this point in the game Russia is making it pretty obvious that it's willing to escalate this cold war behaviour.

1. Could that be because the American people are not standing behind their gov's actions against Russia?

2. Has Obama been put in a position in which he can't back down but needs a facesaving device now?

3. Does Obama want to escalate this political fight with Russia and does he consider it to be worth it as regards his peace efforts with Iran?

4. If Russia changes stance on Iran then does this put the world on dangerous footing as regards Netanyahu's possible reaction?

5. Or opposed to answering yes on #4 above does this mean that Iran will inevitably become a nuclear armed world power?

6. And lastly, for those who don't want to consider the above options then is there a better solution to the Crimea situation?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 1:18:55 PM
At 3/20/2014 12:38:16 PM, monty1 wrote:

But most likely only if the U.S. decides to escalate the sanctions against Russia and make them meaningful. At this point in the game Russia is making it pretty obvious that it's willing to escalate this cold war behaviour.

1. Could that be because the American people are not standing behind their gov's actions against Russia?

No. Even if it were the case that the American people opposed how Obama is handling Russia, what the American people think about that would not be a factor that would play into Putin's possible decision to change his position on Iran.

2. Has Obama been put in a position in which he can't back down but needs a facesaving device now?

No. Obama isn't in a position of weakness here. He can say "I don't care" or he can say "Go ahead and make my day." Obama is not in need of saving face, even though it's explicitly clear that he wants to avoid a war by all means necessary.

3. Does Obama want to escalate this political fight with Russia and does he consider it to be worth it as regards his peace efforts with Iran?

Obama wants to avoid conflict by any means.

4. If Russia changes stance on Iran then does this put the world on dangerous footing as regards Netanyahu's possible reaction?

What Netanyahu does certainly could make the tension over Iran's nuclear program more intense, and it is possible that Israel would amplify it's efforts to ensure that Iran does not become a nuclear power.

5. Or opposed to answering yes on #4 above does this mean that Iran will inevitably become a nuclear armed world power?

No.

6. And lastly, for those who don't want to consider the above options then is there a better solution to the Crimea situation?

What Obama should have done is economically isolated Russia in the same way that it did Iran in response to it's aggression, moved carriers to the Black Sea (whether it violates previous treaties or not) and moved ships on Russia's northern coast. He should have moved troops to Western Europe and repositioned aircraft strategically throughout the region. He should have announced a reinvigorated missile defense system in Turkey and indicated that NATO peace keeping troops would be deployed to Ukraine if Putin didn't immediately withdraw from Crimea.

But he didn't do that. And, now Crimea is part of Russia.

He should still take all the above measures to prevent further hostilities.
Tsar of DDO
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 1:22:51 PM
Here's a poll that gauges the American people's stance on Ukraine. Not to suggest that Russia will move to take Ukraine but only that it's pretty obvious that Americans don't have any appetite for more wars. That won't be lost on Putin! In any case, my best guess is that Russia won't move on the Ukraine without obvious meddling by the US. So that's another good question to ask the people on this forum.

Will Russia move to take the entire Ukraine?
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 1:38:49 PM
YYW, The poll results place you in a pretty small minority. Americans clearly don't have an appetite for war and that goes as well for sabre rattling. Obama, in my opinion is doing everything he can possibly do to avoid military escalation and the fact that the American people are clearly with him on that is positive for Russia as well as positive to allowing Obama to ignore the hawks such as you. Not only on the Crimea situation but also on Russia deciding to take the entire Ukraine!
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 1:52:46 PM
At 3/20/2014 1:38:49 PM, monty1 wrote:
YYW, The poll results place you in a pretty small minority. Americans clearly don't have an appetite for war and that goes as well for sabre rattling. Obama, in my opinion is doing everything he can possibly do to avoid military escalation and the fact that the American people are clearly with him on that is positive for Russia as well as positive to allowing Obama to ignore the hawks such as you. Not only on the Crimea situation but also on Russia deciding to take the entire Ukraine!

Shall we see an actual news source?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 1:57:42 PM
At 3/20/2014 1:52:46 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Totally different question but nonetheless interesting. I don't doubt at all that most Americans would answer 'yes' to that poll, while at the same time not having any desire to do anything about it in somehow defanging Russia.

If you asked the Russian people if they consider the US a threat they would likely answer near 100% in the affirmative.

Now, can you deal with any of my questions?
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 1:59:58 PM
At 3/20/2014 1:57:42 PM, monty1 wrote:

Totally different question but nonetheless interesting. I don't doubt at all that most Americans would answer 'yes' to that poll, while at the same time not having any desire to do anything about it in somehow defanging Russia.

If you asked the Russian people if they consider the US a threat they would likely answer near 100% in the affirmative.

Did you read the section titled "A New Cold War"?

More than 7 in 10 Americans say there's no justification for Russia's actions in Ukraine and more than 8 in 10 say Russia has violated international law.
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 2:08:05 PM
At 3/20/2014 1:59:58 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

More than 7 in 10 Americans say there's no justification for Russia's actions in Ukraine and more than 8 in 10 say Russia has violated international law.

If you ask the right questions you will get the desired answers. The answers to the above questions are obvious but I'm surprised the majority didn't get even higher. There's no risk in saying that Russia isn't justified and there's no risk in saying that Russia has violated the law.

However, ask the question with some negative implications and the people come out squarely against military action of any kind. 72% against.

That's hardly debatable by trying to sidestep the question but I will grant you it would be true that a lot of heavy anti-Russia propaganda could change that result rather dramatically.

And of course that kind of propaganda has been flying back and forth even before Russia took Crimea by referendum. The propaganda threat: Russia will take Ukraine and then won't stop there. Russia will move on to take Europe. Or in other words, we need to take the steps that YYW proposes immediately or we'll all be speaking Russian in 5 years time.

It didn't work yet though!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 3:14:38 PM

See, you're using facts and figures grounded in reality. Monty doesn't understand that... it's cool, though. He's interesting to talk to.
Tsar of DDO
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 3:15:20 PM
At 3/20/2014 2:08:05 PM, monty1 wrote:

If you ask the right questions you will get the desired answers. The answers to the above questions are obvious but I'm surprised the majority didn't get even higher. There's no risk in saying that Russia isn't justified and there's no risk in saying that Russia has violated the law.

However, ask the question with some negative implications and the people come out squarely against military action of any kind. 72% against.

That's hardly debatable by trying to sidestep the question but I will grant you it would be true that a lot of heavy anti-Russia propaganda could change that result rather dramatically.

And of course that kind of propaganda has been flying back and forth even before Russia took Crimea by referendum. The propaganda threat: Russia will take Ukraine and then won't stop there. Russia will move on to take Europe. Or in other words, we need to take the steps that YYW proposes immediately or we'll all be speaking Russian in 5 years time.

It didn't work yet though!

First, it is 56% who don't support militaristic involvement, not 72%.

Next, it doesn't matter. The US and the UK are obligated by treaty to declare war on Russia if it invades Ukraine. Even a weak president like Obama will have a hard time dodging that.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 3:17:06 PM
At 3/20/2014 3:14:38 PM, YYW wrote:

See, you're using facts and figures grounded in reality. Monty doesn't understand that... it's cool, though. He's interesting to talk to.

Does he? This is my first time interacting with him, though I've followed a few of his posts. Maybe I am hoping for too much.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 3:18:56 PM
At 3/20/2014 3:17:06 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Does he? This is my first time interacting with him, though I've followed a few of his posts. Maybe I am hoping for too much.

I've been talking with him about this thing in Crimea for a while. He's interested in the subject which is nice, but he doesn't really understand the stakes or what's actually going on.
Tsar of DDO
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 3:22:28 PM
At 3/20/2014 3:18:56 PM, YYW wrote:

I've been talking with him about this thing in Crimea for a while. He's interested in the subject which is nice, but he doesn't really understand the stakes or what's actually going on.

Doesn't he just keep saying Russia has the moral high ground and America's being evil and imperialistic?
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 3:29:29 PM

Though to be fair, I'm finding other users far more obnoxious than him.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 3:29:35 PM
Or in other words, we need to take the steps that YYW proposes immediately or we'll all be speaking Russian in 5 years time.

lol

I understand that you're just being hyperbolic and that's ok, but let's explore what you're saying just for the fun of it. Even if Russia invaded the United States, seized control of every aspect of the US government and essentially colonized North America (which would never happen, because they wouldn't even make it half way across the Atlantic ocean) we still wouldn't be speaking Russian. Why? Russian is an incredibly hard language to learn, and there would be no way to compel Americans to learn it.

But alas, the threat Russia poses isn't an existential one. Their nuclear missile stockpile is in disarray, their military is comprised of only 30% professional soldiers and while the FSB might be on par with only US Navy seals, the rest of the US military (Army, Navy, Marine core, Coast Guard and Air Force) is so vastly superior to Russia's that it would be inconceivable that they could even take a small part of Maine. I mean, I hate to sound arrogant, but the US Military's force is greater than all the combined militaries of all the worlds other great powers combined. And, within six months the United States could more than triple its ground soldiers vis a vis a draft.

So, while hyperbole can be fun... don't be that ridiculous.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 3:30:10 PM
At 3/20/2014 3:22:28 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Doesn't he just keep saying Russia has the moral high ground and America's being evil and imperialistic?

Among other things... it's actually kind of amusing to read.
Tsar of DDO
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 9:46:15 PM

I understood his facts and figures and I even agree with them. I don't have any reason to disagree with the poll that says 72% believe that the US should not interfere militarirly. Go figure?
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 9:54:49 PM
At 3/20/2014 3:29:35 PM, YYW wrote:
Or in other words, we need to take the steps that YYW proposes immediately or we'll all be speaking Russian in 5 years time.

lol

I understand that you're just being hyperbolic and that's ok, but let's explore what you're saying just for the fun of it. Even if Russia invaded the United States, seized control of every aspect of the US government and essentially colonized North America (which would never happen, because they wouldn't even make it half way across the Atlantic ocean) we still wouldn't be speaking Russian. Why? Russian is an incredibly hard language to learn, and there would be no way to compel Americans to learn it.

But alas, the threat Russia poses isn't an existential one. Their nuclear missile stockpile is in disarray, their military is comprised of only 30% professional soldiers and while the FSB might be on par with only US Navy seals, the rest of the US military (Army, Navy, Marine core, Coast Guard and Air Force) is so vastly superior to Russia's that it would be inconceivable that they could even take a small part of Maine. I mean, I hate to sound arrogant, but the US Military's force is greater than all the combined militaries of all the worlds other great powers combined. And, within six months the United States could more than triple its ground soldiers vis a vis a draft.

So, while hyperbole can be fun... don't be that ridiculous.

Of course it hyperbole, so don't take it seriously and make a fool of yourself. But here's the serious part. The US is in no way interested in getting into a hot war with Russia and neither is Russia. As I've said several times, nuclear arms are our great saviour since the end of WW2. Other than US imposing sanctions which will have dubious effects on Russia, it can't go any further than that.

Three good reasons: The American people aren't behind it. Racist hate for Obama turns the political right off completely, and Russia has the moral high ground with it's 95+% referendum.