Jump to topic:

State of the Union Address

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2010 10:14:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
God, I'm not on for half a day and such a big thing goes threadless. Tsk, tsk.

Anyways, what did everyone think of Obama's SOTU address? I thoroughly enjoyed it, as it showed Obama actually getting down to some policies and specifics, as well as taking jabs at his opponents and trying to capture the mood of the public. Very straightforward, hit every important note that it should have, and went off without a hitch. I especially enjoyed the looks of the Supreme Court judges when he was talking about that recent decision regarding campaign donations. :D

What do you guys think?
wonderwoman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2010 10:24:43 PM
Intersting College plans

There seemed to be a lot of talk about tax rebates, tax cuts, tax breaks.

Seemed to be a lot of fluff and laughter.

My biggest concern is freezing the budget at 2011.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2010 10:31:41 PM
At 1/27/2010 10:24:43 PM, wonderwoman wrote:

Why is that a concern for you?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2010 10:44:15 PM
Pretty good speech for an Illuminati puppet. He kept his word last time he made a promise. I actually noticed 100 dollar increase in my monthly income, so hopefully hell give me a 10 thousand dollar tax credit for college too.

I particularly liked his clever jabs at the Republicans and defense of health care. Like Skeptic said, great orator.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2010 10:50:53 PM
I didn't waste my time. Same old ****.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 6:56:22 AM
At 1/27/2010 10:14:38 PM, Volkov wrote:
God, I'm not on for half a day and such a big thing goes threadless. Tsk, tsk.

Anyways, what did everyone think of Obama's SOTU address? I thoroughly enjoyed it, as it showed Obama actually getting down to some policies and specifics, as well as taking jabs at his opponents and trying to capture the mood of the public. Very straightforward, hit every important note that it should have, and went off without a hitch. I especially enjoyed the looks of the Supreme Court judges when he was talking about that recent decision regarding campaign donations. :D

What do you guys think?

It was dry, and lifeless, more of the same talk.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 7:21:05 AM
I didn't know there was a SOTA.

The state of the union is roughly what it's been since 1890. The differences are in nonessential aspects.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 7:36:14 AM
It was ok.
He faired well on both sides.
He has always been able to talk a good game, but has yet to execute, so as of now it means nothing.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 8:05:59 AM
At 1/28/2010 7:21:05 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The state of the union is roughly what it's been since 1890. The differences are in nonessential aspects.

Not exactly sure about the 1890 part, but I agree with this.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 8:59:34 AM

I very much doubt that's going to happen.

As Obama said he would vetoe extra spending in three years time(that is; the beginning of his next term)

How is he going to "freeze" the budget in 2011 if he's not going to veto spending until 2013?

He doesn't have legislative powers, He has the veto.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 9:02:50 AM
At 1/28/2010 8:59:34 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

I very much doubt that's going to happen.

As Obama said he would vetoe extra spending in three years time(that is; the beginning of his next term)

How is he going to "freeze" the budget in 2011 if he's not going to veto spending until 2013?

He doesn't have legislative powers, He has the veto.

Coercing Congressional Democrats is my guess. He didn't personally say "I will personally go down in the trenches and route those spenders out," he said "I will help get the idea in motion."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 9:06:14 AM
At 1/28/2010 8:59:34 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

I just looked at the transcript; I heard wrong yesterday, he said he'd veto it until 2013, not after.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
areyouafraidofthedark
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 9:08:41 AM
I've always tended to look past the large stream of BS that flies from his mouth. The only things I'm concerned about are his actual plans and actions and if he's accomplished them. So far I see poor economic policies, an unfair distribution of wealth and bigger government.

LOL count me out.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 9:11:56 AM
At 1/28/2010 9:08:41 AM, areyouafraidofthedark wrote:

So far I see poor economic policies,
yep

an unfair distribution of wealth
if you mean plans to steal through unconstitutional taxation; yep

and bigger government.
yep

Metaphysics:
Scott_Mann
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 9:45:27 AM
Probably one of his best speeches.

Good to see he's going to do something about the national debt...
The more posts you have, the less value they contain.
areyouafraidofthedark
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 10:01:29 AM
Protip: A speech does not constitute action or even plans. A speech is meant to garner the support of the mindless masses who assume that speech is action.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 10:20:27 AM
At 1/28/2010 9:45:27 AM, Scott_Mann wrote:
Probably one of his best speeches.

He has been better, in my opinion.

Good to see he's going to do something about the national debt...

You did not "see" anything along those lines.

You just heard him promise something, which he has done and not delivered before, but you have not seen any proof of him doing anything about the national debt.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 8:33:21 PM
At 1/28/2010 10:35:38 AM, Koopin wrote:
I think someone else wrote the speech because Obama did not say so many "Uhh.."
This man just won the thread.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2010 8:22:03 AM
This was one of Obama's worst speeches yet. It was too long, boring, lacked substance, and was not inspiring. His jab at the SCOTUS was unprofessional and he should issue an apology. Justice Alito should've shouted YOU LIE! instead of mouthing it. He lied a lot. He didn't move to the center, he moved/stayed far to the left -- Clinton was smart and became a moderate after he realized he wouldn't get elected if he did otherwise.

Bob McDonnell's Republican response speech was excellent. The setting was great. Instead of being in an empty room, he was in the Virginia House of Delegates -- surrounded by friends, family, staff, and supporters. Behind him on the television was four people -- a black woman, a white woman, an asian guy, and a latino guy in military uniform, great diversity. He mentioned how Democrats and Obama are raising taxes, bankrupting America, and trying terrorists in civilian courts. He used Scott Brown's quote: "We should be spending taxpayer dollars to defeat terrorists, not protect them."

2012 = Republican President.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2010 10:12:09 AM
At 1/29/2010 8:22:03 AM, Nags wrote:

Lol, fat chance. And I mean that.

I watched MSNBC, and while they definitely said their fair share of stupidity, they got one thing right: McDonnell said nothing that actually rebutted anything. It was as if he didn't even listen/read the address. I mean, the guy went on an attack line about natural resources and oil drilling, but Obama said quite clearly already that he would explore the issue of oil drilling. McDonnell looked great, and sounded great, but if you're going to accuse Obama of a lack of substance, its only fair to criticize McDonnell as well.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2010 11:20:11 AM
At 1/29/2010 10:12:09 AM, Volkov wrote:

Lol, fat chance. And I mean that.

Lol. You'll see.

I watched MSNBC

Fail.

and while they definitely said their fair share of stupidity, they got one thing right: McDonnell said nothing that actually rebutted anything. It was as if he didn't even listen/read the address. I mean, the guy went on an attack line about natural resources and oil drilling, but Obama said quite clearly already that he would explore the issue of oil drilling. McDonnell looked great, and sounded great, but if you're going to accuse Obama of a lack of substance, its only fair to criticize McDonnell as well.

If MSNBC knew anything about anything, then they should know that the Republican response is a response, not a rebuttal. McDonnell doesn't change or write his speech after hearing Obama's speech. It's written days before. And just because Obama says he will look into offshore drilling, doesn't mean he will pass legislation on offshore drilling. Is that the only thing that you have against McConnell -- the offshore drilling bit? The response isn't supposed to be about much substance anyway, it's supposed to be talking points that connects with everyday people, and the base. Talking about cutting taxes, cutting spending, about how Obama is bankrupting the country, about how Obama is spending taxpayer dollars on defending terrorists rather than fighting them, and being reasonable by saying that he agrees with Obama on Afghanistan, yet says his plan isn't adequate.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2010 11:32:13 AM
This was one of Obama's worst speeches yet.

It wasn't particularly moving. Same ol crap.

His jab at the SCOTUS was unprofessional and he should issue an apology. Justice Alito should've shouted YOU LIE! instead of mouthing it.

Lol - and that wouldn't have been unprofessional?

Clinton was smart and became a moderate after he realized he wouldn't get elected if he did otherwise.

Obama's caught between a rock and a hard place. Usually a President stays "moderate" their first term and then after they're elected for their 2nd they go balls to the wall uber conservative or uber liberal. However Obama made a lot of libeal promises which helped get him elected. If he doesn't deliver on those promises, it'll hurt him in the next election. He will win by accomplishing his goals and coercing the people to believe that we've made progress and that liberal policies are better than conservative policies.

Behind him on the television was four people -- a black woman, a white woman, an asian guy, and a latino guy in military uniform, great diversity.

Way too forced and obvious. They have to try hard to pretend to care about diversity lol.

He mentioned how Democrats and Obama are raising taxes, bankrupting America, and trying terrorists in civilian courts.

Wait a second... the Democrats bankrupted America? LOL I'm pretty sure America was trillions of dollars in debt *BEFORE* Obama took office and the Dems took the majority. He's raising taxes to support social programs (which I don't agree with) and to pay off the debt that the Republicans created -- In other words, a necessary evil.

He used Scott Brown's quote: "We should be spending taxpayer dollars to defeat terrorists, not protect them."

I don't really have a strong opinion either way on this issue of trying those people in civilian courts, but as far as I know, there is a legitimate argument for Obama's side so I guess it's just a POV type of thing and an obvious discourse in 2 ideologies. Neither side is blatantly right or wrong.

Nope.
President of DDO
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2010 11:41:44 AM
At 1/29/2010 11:32:13 AM, theLwerd wrote:
It wasn't particularly moving. Same ol crap.

I suppose. His first joint speech to Congress and his inauguration speech were definitely better though.

Lol - and that wouldn't have been unprofessional?

Lol - I was jk'ing about the second part.

Obama's caught between a rock and a hard place. Usually a President stays "moderate" their first term and then after they're elected for their 2nd they go balls to the wall uber conservative or uber liberal. However Obama made a lot of libeal promises which helped get him elected. If he doesn't deliver on those promises, it'll hurt him in the next election. He will win by accomplishing his goals and coercing the people to believe that we've made progress and that liberal policies are better than conservative policies.

See: the election of Scott Brown in Massachusetts. The most democratic and most liberal state in the US clearly voted against Obama's policies.

Way too forced and obvious. They have to try hard to pretend to care about diversity lol.

Still is a good tactic though, and worked well.

Wait a second... the Democrats bankrupted America? LOL I'm pretty sure America was trillions of dollars in debt *BEFORE* Obama took office and the Dems took the majority. He's raising taxes to support social programs (which I don't agree with) and to pay off the debt that the Republicans created -- In other words, a necessary evil.

See: YouTube video.

Keep in mind you can't inherit a budget deficit, although the public debt is of course passed on. Obama has already increased the debt by over $1.6 trillion since when he took office. The debt was less than $10 trillion when he took office, it's now over $12 trillion and the debt ceiling was just raised.

I don't really have a strong opinion either way on this issue of trying those people in civilian courts, but as far as I know, there is a legitimate argument for Obama's side so I guess it's just a POV type of thing and an obvious discourse in 2 ideologies. Neither side is blatantly right or wrong.

I agree that neither side is blatantly right or wrong. But poll numbers suggest that a majority of people (something like 70%) disagree with trying terrorists in civilian courts.

Nope.

Yup.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2010 11:49:24 AM
At 1/29/2010 11:20:11 AM, Nags wrote:
Lol. You'll see.

O0o0o, and Sarah Palin will be in charge of Education! Get ready for that Christian suppository, Nags.

If MSNBC knew anything about anything, then they should know that the Republican response is a response, not a rebuttal.

A "response" implies "listening," not sticking your fingers in your ears and going "lalalalalataxcutslalalala".

The response isn't supposed to be about much substance anyway, it's supposed to be talking points that connects with everyday people, and the base.

Well that fails. That is, in all honesty, a mockery of the system. But, hey, its the US.

Talking about cutting taxes, cutting spending, about how Obama is bankrupting the country, about how Obama is spending taxpayer dollars on defending terrorists rather than fighting them, and being reasonable by saying that he agrees with Obama on Afghanistan, yet says his plan isn't adequate.

I watched a good South Park episode last night, do you watch South Park? You should. It had an excellent line: "Here in America, we say one thing, and do another!"

That could also be the GOP slogan, because lets be honest, Nags: the GOP is just about the most hypocritical political organization in North America, just beaten out by the Ontario Liberal Party. 2000-2008 was proof enough of that.