Jump to topic:

Holy Crap! Affirmative Action is a stupid law

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 12:13:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Now, before you go thinking this is an anti-quota, reverse racism rant, it's not. I have been misled and misinformed about what AA actually was. Somewhere at sometime, I had read that AA was dependent on demographics of the area of a company, thus it had to be a quota system, even if not called one. I do not remember the context of this information, I only remember reading it, so it may have been propaganda, or even an example of a "bad" affirmative action plan.
But, here is why it is stupid:

AA was to fight discrimination in business hiring, in the aftermath of government sanctioned discrimination (Jim Crow). However, this law fails in this attempt by:
1. Only applying to companies that receive state/federal money
2. Are reviewed by the very same government that allowed discrimination
3. Are subjectively enforced. As long as a good faith effort was made, the discrimination stands.

How did this law get passed?

Now, this isn't to say that nothing good came from the law's implementation, but how was this law spun to get approval? Does anyone know how the law was received by the black community at the time of passage? I would imagine I would be hella skeptical, and frankly, I still would be.

I think I prefer a quota system based on population demographics than this garbage.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 9:22:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
My point for posting this was to say that if you are under the impression that the government/business/society is still discriminating against minorities (and there are numerous studies that suggest this is true), why is Affirmative Action held so dear by these same people?
My work here is, finally, done.