Jump to topic:

Judging Muslims and Gun-owners.

Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 7:33:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Am I the only one who sees double-speak when the government says "Don't judge the actions of all Muslims by what Al-Qaida does, they're a small, radical group that doesn't represent all Muslims". But whenever there's a mass-shooting, all of a sudden, anyone who owns a gun the government doesn't approve of is judged the same way the killer was.

Is it just me or is that hypocritical?
Kanti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 8:00:03 AM
When you compare two things to show disparity you lose the effectiveness of the argument when the truth of one subject is obvious, and the connection to the second is thin. In this case you listed no cases of the government trying to connect lawful gun owners to mass murders. You just simply stated the government treats subject 1 like this yet subject 2 is not treated the same. I don't know what subject 2 is to contrast the governments actions.
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 8:25:12 AM
yay I am here.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 9:24:10 AM
At 3/31/2014 7:33:25 AM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:
Am I the only one who sees double-speak when the government says "Don't judge the actions of all Muslims by what Al-Qaida does, they're a small, radical group that doesn't represent all Muslims". But whenever there's a mass-shooting, all of a sudden, anyone who owns a gun the government doesn't approve of is judged the same way the killer was.

Huh? I guess I didn't realize that the gov judges me as a mass murder because I own a gun.
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 8:54:00 PM
At 3/31/2014 9:24:10 AM, slo1 wrote:

Huh? I guess I didn't realize that the gov judges me as a mass murder because I own a gun.

They do when they try to ban/confiscate your guns because they don't like them.
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 8:55:41 PM
At 3/31/2014 8:00:03 AM, Kanti wrote:
When you compare two things to show disparity you lose the effectiveness of the argument when the truth of one subject is obvious, and the connection to the second is thin. In this case you listed no cases of the government trying to connect lawful gun owners to mass murders. You just simply stated the government treats subject 1 like this yet subject 2 is not treated the same. I don't know what subject 2 is to contrast the governments actions.

Pay close attention to politicians in the news. They claim that the more people who own x type gun they don't like is likely to result in more crime because x mass shooter or x drug lord had/used x guns.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 7:00:33 AM
At 3/31/2014 8:54:00 PM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:

They haven't tried to ban or confiscate my guns.
Kanti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 9:45:29 AM
I personally own a gun, and I've never felt like the government was implying I'm a terrorist. They tried to pass legislation that would require background checks and national register. I watched those debates, and listened to the congressional hearings. There wasn't a single moment where I felt like the government was trying to imply gun owners are the enemy. In fact the senate bill had language that specifically respected the hunting and shooting culture. It also didn't in anyway interfere with a family member passing down gun through the generations, or loaning a gun to friends and family.

Like I was saying you're making a vague comparison. You're assuming I should recognize discrimination towards gun owners, and I do not so give me examples. Discrimination against Muslims is obvious because we have shootings in mosques once every couple of years. That's the boiling point too. Most Americans don't see or want to see the latent xenophobia in this country.

Plus it is imperative that the government protect Muslim populations because states have tried passing laws that specifically targeted them. One example would be the Arizona Immigration laws that allows law enforcement to discriminate based solely on appearance. The federal government is obligated to protect citizens from situations like this whether it be reactive to the legislation or proactive through preventative measures.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 2:56:28 PM
At 3/31/2014 8:54:00 PM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:

I think there is a major difference here.

For Muslim -> terrorist connection, there was little if any real reason to connect Muslims overall to terrorists until after 9/11, when we kind of lost it for a while. Sure, there were Islamic extremist bombings and such, but there were also unabombers and serial killers to keep everything "on the level" so to speak. 9/11 kind of blew all of that out of the water and put Islamic extremism on an (extremely high) pedestal that commanded national attention for (now) over a decade.

Some civil rights groups are frightened by this overemphasis, and seek to diffuse American sentiment against Islam.

For mass shootings -> gun control, there was plenty of advocacy for gun control already brewing before the mass shooting news hit...the mass shooting was just the straw that broke the camel's back, so legislation gets a much stronger shot at passing.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?