McCutcheon v. FEC

blaze8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 11:08:50 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

So SCOTUS just ruled that donors can contribute unlimited funds to political campaigns. To be clear, the limit for each individual campaign is still around the $5,000 mark. However, donors can now contribute $5,000 to as many campaigns as they want. That's my reading of the ruling. I don't know if the ruling says anything about non-profits, labor unions, etc.

Thoughts?
"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen."-Sterling Archer
Kanti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 11:53:01 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The limit is 2600 for individual congressional campaigns, and 5000 for party committees. Contributions are capped on an aggregate scale which means you can only spend 126,000 each year. That number can be divided among any number of candidates but the sum of all contributions can never exceed it. Essentially this ruling allows individuals to contribute the max amount to any, every, and all candidates with no cap on the aggregate scale. It's a lobbyists wet dreams. They now have the money to lobby every congressional candidate on every level government. This makes it's so easy to create voting blocs. The Supreme Court got this one wrong. It will be impossible to regulate campaign finance now. This just gives to much power to the contributor when they have the influence to throw away 2600 dollar checks to every freshman politician in the country.