Jump to topic:

Future of the US Territories

Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 11:45:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So, what should happen to our territories. Many are seriously underdeveloped, or asking for more rights. I'm just hoping for general discussion on the matter, as if I were president, I would be taking a look at the future of these places. I'll also make one of these if you want to use it....

Organized Territories

Puerto Rico:

Northern Mariana Islands:

Guam:

US Virgin Isles:

Unorganized Territories

American Samoa:

Caribbean Sea Shelfs:

US Wildlife Islands (Baker,Howland,Midway)"

Ect.

Guantanamo Bay:

Palmyra Atoll:

Other Bases:
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
ItRemainsToBeSeen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 10:24:25 AM
I am going to exclude military bases in my post.

The only territory I'm comfortable with bringing into full statehood is Puerto Rico. I would support that measure today.

That doesn't mean I want to see other places, like American Samoa, turn into third world countries without rights. I would almost like to see almost a federalism based political system on steroids with regards to those territories, i.e. they elect their legislatures, with the US government "there" for defense and strategic purposes, as well as to assist in facilitating trade.
ararmer1919
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 10:52:37 AM
At 4/6/2014 10:24:25 AM, ItRemainsToBeSeen wrote:
I am going to exclude military bases in my post.

The only territory I'm comfortable with bringing into full statehood is Puerto Rico. I would support that measure today.

That doesn't mean I want to see other places, like American Samoa, turn into third world countries without rights. I would almost like to see almost a federalism based political system on steroids with regards to those territories, i.e. they elect their legislatures, with the US government "there" for defense and strategic purposes, as well as to assist in facilitating trade.

Same way I feel.
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 1:03:33 PM
AT one time there were advantages to becoming a state. Now the disadvantages outweigh them and freedom from colonization is more attractive. Economic advantages aren't paying off as the US becomes incapable of sustaining a high life style even within it's own borders for the ordinary people. Military defence is of no consequence. They have it without the burden of having to pay for it.

Puerto Rico is the closest to being on the horizon of statehood. It's no secret why it's being resisted for economic considerations.