Jump to topic:

Why did steroids go illegal?

jaksunmadness
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 4:47:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Back in the 1960s or so during Arnold Schzwarzenegger golden age of bodybuilding, steroids as legal and taken like a supplement. I have to wonder why firearms, alcohol, tylenol, cigarettes, and marijuana (legal in some states) are all legal but steroids have gone illegal. I think if you're 21 years old or older you should be able to purchase and use them because then you're responsible for it. The currently legal drugs also give damaging effects if abused, steroids are in a similar range of lethality but not that much more. In fact steroids actually have more lasting positive effects than cigarettes, alcohol or marijuana and the negative effects only occur if used incorrectly or if abused for too long. I could say the same for HGH, insulin etc. but for now just want to focus on steroids.

As far as sports go we all know athletes use these substances anyway and back in the golden age of bodybuilding it was taken without a second thought. Athletes aside people that want to use them for recreational purposes should be able to do so as long as they are 21 years old.
jaksunmadness
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 4:50:14 PM
I also need to add even if sports players use them if the common man uses them as well then what's the problem? It's like if sports players eat protein shakes so what we can eat protein shakes as well. What it comes down to is how harder the athlete takes his game to that will set them apart from us. You can't just take steroids, sit down and expect results. You have to work even harder than you normally would to get the most out of steroids.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 4:35:17 AM
At 4/15/2014 3:20:41 AM, jaksunmadness wrote:
Well why can't the common citizen just use them long as they don't compete?

Well taking the common opinion, people should not use steroids as they take the personal competition out of the games.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Hematite12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 7:59:53 PM

Steroids aren't illegal for everyone as far as I know, just for athletes.

So, common citizens CAN go on steroids.... IF they don't compete.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 8:09:24 PM
At 4/15/2014 7:59:53 PM, Hematite12 wrote:

Steroids aren't illegal for everyone as far as I know, just for athletes.

It depends on the substance; most are heavily regulated by state and/or federal law.

So, common citizens CAN go on steroids.... IF they don't compete.

Not necessarily.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 11:15:33 PM
Steroid use shrinks your balls, enlarges your heart (which is a muscle), and causes extreme irritability in what has been termed "roid rage".

It still has medical uses, which is why it is still legal with a prescription. When I was 5 I was prescribed steroids and as a result I broke out in an extreme case of acne.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
jaksunmadness
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 2:50:33 AM
Still don't know why it went illegal. I think if you can buy, sell and own alcohol, cigarettes and even a gun I don't see why not.