Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

Corporation Running for Congress

DevinKing
Posts: 206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 3:18:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
--This isn't a joke. See below.

http://murrayhillweb.com...

--This is an abomination of a democracy. Conspiriscists who said that corporations controlled the government used to get laughed out of the room. Now, they are saying, "I told you so.".

--Especially concerning are quotes like these: "It's our democracy."... "We bought it, we paid for it, and we're going to keep it."

--What do all of you think?
After demonstrating his existence with complete certainty with the proposition "I think, therefore I am", Descartes walks into a bar, sitting next to a gorgeous priest. The priest asks Descartes, "Would you like a drink?" Descartes responds, "I think not," and then proceeds to vanish in a puff of illogic.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 3:26:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I think its stupidity. A corporation is not a person, and not even by any stretch of the imagination is it able to run for Congress. Like, honestly, what kind of BS is this?

It doesn't even make sense. How would a corporation take a seat in the House? How can a corporation sit on committees? How could it represent or be held accountable to its constituents?

This is why I have little faith in the United States anymore. It is a mockery of democracy. I'm almost ashamed to live in a country that shares a border with it.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 3:27:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Yeah, in PolySci you learn that a corporation is considered a person/citizen in politics.

Though, me being a conspiracist, don't claim that corporations run government. However, I acknowledge the rotating door between corporations and government. Same people are apart of both and switch between both and exert power accordingly. Different legs, same spider.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 3:28:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Oh, and INB4 "its a stunt Volkov."

I know it is - but that doesn't take away from what it represents, and the type of floodgates that have been opened by this stupid law. Its disgusting.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 3:28:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/2/2010 3:26:49 PM, Volkov wrote:
This is why I have little faith in the United States anymore. It is a mockery of democracy. I'm almost ashamed to live in a country that shares a border with it.

Lmao, OK Volkov.

Because clearly the US Government and it's citizens are in favor of this.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 3:32:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/2/2010 3:28:51 PM, Nags wrote:
Lmao, OK Volkov.

Because clearly the US Government and it's citizens are in favor of this.

Some are, some aren't. For those that are not in favour, all the power to them. That doesn't mean its not disgraceful that such an idea could get past the courts, though.
DevinKing
Posts: 206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 3:37:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/2/2010 3:25:13 PM, Puck wrote:
At 2/2/2010 3:23:56 PM, Nags wrote:
It's satirical...

Nono. Panic and yell first, then investigate.

--Corporations are already given many of the rights that citizens are. This is merely the next logical step. And, it is not a joke, they are actually running for congress. Oh, and I did my reaserch before screaming and going into a panic.
After demonstrating his existence with complete certainty with the proposition "I think, therefore I am", Descartes walks into a bar, sitting next to a gorgeous priest. The priest asks Descartes, "Would you like a drink?" Descartes responds, "I think not," and then proceeds to vanish in a puff of illogic.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 3:39:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/2/2010 3:37:25 PM, DevinKing wrote:
--Corporations are already given many of the rights that citizens are. This is merely the next logical step. And, it is not a joke, they are actually running for congress. Oh, and I did my reaserch before screaming and going into a panic.

Are you sure it isn't a satire?
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 3:40:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/2/2010 3:25:13 PM, Puck wrote:
At 2/2/2010 3:23:56 PM, Nags wrote:
It's satirical...

Nono. Panic and yell first, then investigate.

I've never been good at that, but I'll give it a try.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
LeafRod
Posts: 1,548
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 3:46:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/2/2010 3:32:11 PM, Volkov wrote:
Some are, some aren't. For those that are not in favour, all the power to them. That doesn't mean its not disgraceful that such an idea could get past the courts, though.

Wait until something like it happens before making such an unsupportable statement.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 3:48:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/2/2010 3:46:33 PM, LeafRod wrote:
Wait until something like it happens before making such an unsupportable statement.

It *did* though. That's what was just recently passed by the courts. That is what is disgraceful. This, if it is true, is only a continuing symptom.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 4:26:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/2/2010 3:26:49 PM, Volkov wrote:
I think its stupidity. A corporation is not a person, and not even by any stretch of the imagination is it able to run for Congress. Like, honestly, what kind of BS is this?

It doesn't even make sense. How would a corporation take a seat in the House? How can a corporation sit on committees? How could it represent or be held accountable to its constituents?

This is why I have little faith in the United States anymore. It is a mockery of democracy. I'm almost ashamed to live in a country that shares a border with it.

Dude, it's most likely a commentary set up by one o' you lefties trying to, in a backwards kinda way, complain about corporations having free speech rights during elections.

People get elected to congress, one seat each, not the thousands that make up a corporation.

It's a stupid commentary at that, for corporations, being amalgamations of people, should have free speech rights, they shouldn't be able to run for a (one man) seat in congress.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 4:32:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
If I want to say what I think about an election I ought to be able to.

If me and my buddy who thinks similarly want to say what we think, we ought to be able to.

If me and 2,000 of my buddies want to say what we think, we ought to be able to.

A "corporation" is nothing but a collection of people, all of whom have the right to free speech, why can't they do so together.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 4:36:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/2/2010 4:26:14 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 2/2/2010 3:26:49 PM, Volkov wrote:
I think its stupidity. A corporation is not a person, and not even by any stretch of the imagination is it able to run for Congress. Like, honestly, what kind of BS is this?

It doesn't even make sense. How would a corporation take a seat in the House? How can a corporation sit on committees? How could it represent or be held accountable to its constituents?

This is why I have little faith in the United States anymore. It is a mockery of democracy. I'm almost ashamed to live in a country that shares a border with it.

Dude, it's most likely a commentary set up by one o' you lefties trying to, in a backwards kinda way, complain about corporations having free speech rights during elections.

People get elected to congress, one seat each, not the thousands that make up a corporation.

It's a stupid commentary at that, for corporations, being amalgamations of people, should have free speech rights, they shouldn't be able to run for a (one man) seat in congress.

Yeah, i think it is dumb.
hey brought up the "The founders".
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 11:56:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/2/2010 4:26:14 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Dude, it's most likely a commentary set up by one o' you lefties trying to, in a backwards kinda way, complain about corporations having free speech rights during elections.

The company in question is openly and self proclaimed liberal.
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 5:23:22 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/2/2010 3:26:49 PM, Volkov wrote:
I think its stupidity. A corporation is not a person,
You're wrong. You might want to recheck your facts on that.

A corporation is legally defined a a person.

What I don't get is why a liberal is setting this thing up. Aren't liberals against big corporations and pretty much anything that isn't the state?
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 6:04:20 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 5:23:22 AM, Rezzealaux wrote:
At 2/2/2010 3:26:49 PM, Volkov wrote:
I think its stupidity. A corporation is not a person,
You're wrong. You might want to recheck your facts on that.

A corporation is legally defined a a person.

Well, I think that's a stupid definition. A corporation is, by actual definition; a collection of people.

This being the case however doesn't mean that those individuals should have any less rights.

What I don't get is why a liberal is setting this thing up. Aren't liberals against big corporations and pretty much anything that isn't the state?

They're not at all going to be able to run for the office. It's a retarded attempt at satirizing your "legal definition" of a corporation.

Well I guess since I think the definition is retarded, I think the satire is in that way merited, but I think that the opposition to the Free speech of individuals, acting collectively (that one would assume they are a part of) is retarded.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 6:37:58 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 6:04:20 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 2/3/2010 5:23:22 AM, Rezzealaux wrote:
At 2/2/2010 3:26:49 PM, Volkov wrote:
I think its stupidity. A corporation is not a person,
You're wrong. You might want to recheck your facts on that.

A corporation is legally defined a a person.

Well, I think that's a stupid definition. A corporation is, by actual definition; a collection of people.
Humans are, by actual definition, a collection of cells, but under the law, humans are persons. Corporations are, sure, a collection of people, but they are given legal rights to act as a person. In other words, In the "eyes of the law", corporation is a person.
This being the case however doesn't mean that those individuals should have any less rights.


What I don't get is why a liberal is setting this thing up. Aren't liberals against big corporations and pretty much anything that isn't the state?

They're not at all going to be able to run for the office. It's a retarded attempt at satirizing your "legal definition" of a corporation.
IT IS NOT MY M O T H E R F U C K I N G QUOTE LEGAL DEFINITION UNQUOTE OF A CORPORATION.

Get that through your thick head. Repeat after me if you have to.

I am not advocating that corporations should be defined legally as persons. I am stating the truth. It is a truth that there are many legal precedents for corporations being defined as a person.

Well I guess since I think the definition is retarded, I think the satire is in that way merited, but I think that the opposition to the Free speech of individuals, acting collectively (that one would assume they are a part of) is retarded.
The definition is retarded. It is why we have such a fascist (Corporate-Government combination) system. It is also retarded, yes, to oppose the free speech of aggregates, but we wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place if what'shisface from the Supreme Court a hundred years ago didn't say that corporations were people under the 14th (or 15th or 16th, can't remember, one of those three) amendments.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?