Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Jimmy Carter

Loserboi
Posts: 1,232
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 6:02:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I was having a debate with my teacher about Jimmy Carter.
All I read in my history book was that Jimmy Carter was always trying to be the cool president that he ignored people at his own party and refused to work with congress to get his bills passed. While during his time our deficit continued to grow larger and larger. There was also the hostage situation that took part during his time.

My teacher did not use any evidence to back up what he was saying all he said to me was that "You Just Do Not Get It! Jimmy Carter was one of our nations greatest presidents because he was not a liar. Jimmy Carter won the Nobel Peace Prize just like Obama which makes him a good president, Go check your facts and do some RESEARCH" those were his exact words to me.

I want to know what did Jimmy Carter do during his term as president. My history book from last year did not go very in depth to what carter did. His presidency only went to about 5-6 pages.

My main question is was Jimmy Carter a good president? If he was what made him so if he wasn't why wasn't he?
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 6:05:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/2/2010 6:02:29 PM, Loserboi wrote:
I was having a debate with my teacher about Jimmy Carter.
All I read in my history book was that Jimmy Carter was always trying to be the cool president that he ignored people at his own party and refused to work with congress to get his bills passed. While during his time our deficit continued to grow larger and larger. There was also the hostage situation that took part during his time.

My teacher did not use any evidence to back up what he was saying all he said to me was that "You Just Do Not Get It! Jimmy Carter was one of our nations greatest presidents because he was not a liar. Jimmy Carter won the Nobel Peace Prize just like Obama which makes him a good president, Go check your facts and do some RESEARCH" those were his exact words to me.

I want to know what did Jimmy Carter do during his term as president. My history book from last year did not go very in depth to what carter did. His presidency only went to about 5-6 pages.

My main question is was Jimmy Carter a good president? If he was what made him so if he wasn't why wasn't he?

I'm sorry your teacher is so ignorant. I recommend not listening to him any more then you must to pass the class and take everything he teaches with a grain (or three) of salt.

Every president in the last 80+ years has left with a larger national debt then they started with.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
JBlake
Posts: 4,634
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 11:03:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
From everything I have read about him and the time period... No, he was not a good president. Also, he is consistently ranked among the bottom half of U.S. Presidents in terms of performance by historians.

He has done a great deal of humanitarian work after his presidency (which resulted in his Nobel Prize). He should rightly be praised for this work. However, it does not reflect on his presidency and should not be a consideration when analyzing his performance as president.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 11:40:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/2/2010 11:03:45 PM, JBlake wrote:
From everything I have read about him and the time period... No, he was not a good president. Also, he is consistently ranked among the bottom half of U.S. Presidents in terms of performance by historians.

He has done a great deal of humanitarian work after his presidency (which resulted in his Nobel Prize). He should rightly be praised for this work. However, it does not reflect on his presidency and should not be a consideration when analyzing his performance as president.

too true.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
PervRat
Posts: 963
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 1:46:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/2/2010 6:05:54 PM, OreEle wrote:
Every president in the last 80+ years has left with a larger national debt then they started with.

So did George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.

Your measure of a great president is seriously flawed.
PervRat
Posts: 963
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 1:48:10 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/2/2010 6:02:29 PM, Loserboi wrote:
I was having a debate with my teacher about Jimmy Carter.
All I read in my history book was that Jimmy Carter was always trying to be the cool president that he ignored people at his own party and refused to work with congress to get his bills passed. While during his time our deficit continued to grow larger and larger. There was also the hostage situation that took part during his time.


So a President must play partisan politics to be good for you?
Name one president you liked who did not increase the deficit, and explain why deficit spending is bad.
Also, explain why another nation taking our citizens hostage is a mark of having a bad president.

I seriously doubt you supported any of these fallacious contentions with your teacher. Its no wonder you lost.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 2:13:08 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/2/2010 6:02:29 PM, Loserboi wrote:
"You Just Do Not Get It! Jimmy Carter was one of our nations greatest presidents because he was not a liar. Jimmy Carter won the Nobel Peace Prize just like Obama which makes him a good president, Go check your facts and do some RESEARCH" those were his exact words to me.


Maybe you should point out to him the number of terrorists and war criminals that have been awarded said prize.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
PervRat
Posts: 963
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 7:29:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/8/2010 5:32:18 PM, Scott_Mann wrote:
Jimmy Carter was just there to make Ronald Reagan look good.

I think you have that backwards. An honest man making a criminal look good?

That's sickening.